Wind and Hot Air..

Isn't much isn't crap what's the diff? Do you even know what a KW is?
Do you? It's a kilowatt. A thousand watts. A hair dryer draws 1.5kW. Go look, if you don't believe me.

4kW isn't enough to power your home. A home with a 200 amp service can draw a maximum of 24kW. You're almost never going to draw that much current in the house, though, so you could easily get by with a 20kW generator.

Home Depot has a 20kW unit with an automatic transfer switch for $4,589.00. Runs on LP or NG. On NG, it's de-rated to 18kW.

How much does your wind turbine that's one-fifth the rated output cost? Don't forget the price of the battery bank and inverters, too.

Oh and to get 4 kw of wind generators it costs roughly 2500 bucks. Like I said before though the generators are not the expensive part. Getting the towers to set them on and wiring them in the circuit are the expensive part. You buy your generator that you still need to pay for fuel for. you then pay to have it installed. In 10 years we will find out who is better off. I'm ashamed to call myself a fiscal conservative with idiots like you unwilling to look at the math behind this tech.
Yeah, the 6kW package I just found will pay for the LP gas generator and a whole damn lot of fuel. And it'll run the whole house, AND not be dependent on weather.

If expensive and inefficient is your idea of fiscal conservatism, knock yourself out, Skippy.

I checked and at full output a 10KW genset will consume about 2 gal of gas an hour. at 3.50/gal that is 84 per day and 2,520 per month.
And the max life expectancy of the engine running the genset would be about 1 year max running fulltime.

No wonder right wingers cannot control spending and such.

1 year max running lifetime? Nonsense. I've seen engines with over 20,000 operating hours -- that's 833 days. Proper scheduled maintenance is the key to long engine lifetimes.

And don't buy a gas-engine generator for running prime power (as opposed to emergency standby only). Buy diesel. Each gallon of diesel has more energy than a gallon of gasoline.

And I don't know where you found your numbers. This 12kW gas unit burns 4.6 liters/hour, which is 1.2 gallons/hr.

This 10kW diesel unit burns 0.89 gallons/hour.

No one interested in Wind as an "alternative"?

I thought wind had a huge fan club. :thanks:

Guess we can just scratch that one off the list of alternatives along with geothermal and hydro...

Nah big man, it was not the graphs or the reasonable information...it was something else.

Nuclear has problems economically. No one wants to build a plant w/o my tax money. The savior for the industry will be figuring our how to reuse or sell the spent rods. Reusing may not be that far off. Think anyone has enough faith in that to start buying them up? Lets hope they dont pick Iran to sell them to.

Despite the mishap Ameren had with one of theirs I do support the water retention and release systems as a way of regulating power output.

Damn. I thought someone had finally figured out a way to harness our single largest resource of wind and hot air (Congress) to power America. This thread is such a disappointment.

:tongue:

Do you? It's a kilowatt. A thousand watts. A hair dryer draws 1.5kW. Go look, if you don't believe me.

4kW isn't enough to power your home. A home with a 200 amp service can draw a maximum of 24kW. You're almost never going to draw that much current in the house, though, so you could easily get by with a 20kW generator.

Home Depot has a 20kW unit with an automatic transfer switch for $4,589.00. Runs on LP or NG. On NG, it's de-rated to 18kW.

How much does your wind turbine that's one-fifth the rated output cost? Don't forget the price of the battery bank and inverters, too.

Well now I know you are a moron. A 200 amp service at 240 volts is 48kw goofball.
Yeah, I goofed. I was figuring 120VAC in.

So now, at 240VAC, your littley bitty turbine looks even MORE pathetic, doesn't it? :lol:
Not what it would actually draw but then again I bet you have never held a meter in your hand have you? Go back to reading your labels and leave the real work to those who know something dingbat.
You lose your bet.

Meanwhile, you never answered my question, here repeated and corrected:

How much does your wind turbine that's ONE-TENTH the rated output cost? Don't forget the price of the battery bank and inverters, too.

Here's a complete 6kW package, which is one-sixth of your home's 200A service rating.

It's $38,000.

Holy shit.

Oh where to start. First if you actually knew anything about electricity you would know how ridiculously stupid saying "So now, at 240VAC, your littley bitty turbine looks even MORE pathetic, doesn't it? " sounds. You can do another internet search to figure out that answer I'm sure. Second, the voltage screw up is not your only screw up it is just the only one I corrected. Third, What are you a generator salesman? Why would anyone use a generator for power if they had any other option. You are to short sighted and can not look far enough into the future. How much is the fuel for your generator? How much is it for wind/solar/geothermal? What is the price of your fuel doing over the past 10-20 yrs? Forth, I like that you can do basic internet searches. Wow 38k huh. Sorry, I'm not paying someone 28k to come out and do 2 days of work installing 10k of equipment. I would install it in stages. And seeing as I already have batteries(which are still not needed), and inverters as an emergency power source, I just need towers to add wind into the equation.

So what is your generator going to cost you after 20 years and how much will my turbine have cost me?

Forum List

Back