Wimbledon 2017

Go Girls!

Venus Williams has reached her 10th Wimbledon semi-final, and I'm rooting for her to get to the championship-game.

Venus was so gifted in the early days of her career (before her sister Serena emerged as the true giant), and I saw Venus win Wimbledon in 2005.

Venus brought a lot of much-needed attention to minority spotlights in international sports, similar to what MaliVai Washington did for men's tennis in the 1990s (he reached the Wimbledon final in 1996).

I always wanted to see a Williams-Washington mixed-doubles achievement, but that never happened...

tennis2.jpg

So Venus lost but it was to the fiery Spanish-Venezuelan upstart Garbine Muguruza.

Venus almost took the first set but when she dropped it 7-5, she crumbled to her opponent 6-0 in the second set, giving her enemy her first Wimbledon championship and robbing her of her 7th Wimbledon title. Muguruza won the French Open in 2016, defeating Serena Williams in the final, the same year Serena's sister Venus won Wimbledon. This is Muguruza's second Grand Slam title.

This is the first Wimbledon final Venus has ever lost...

So many say Muguruza was due and deserved the win, and if Federer wins tomorrow, it might be a 'sweet decision' (since Federer hasn't won Wimbledon since 2012) for the men's and women's contests, and this gives Venus a sobering 'shower' to think about her contested driving charge.

Sports is so medicinal, isn't it?

winners.jpg

Forum List

Back