Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students

I think there would be much less hostility between people concerning religion if people made and honest attempt to understand all religions the best they can.

Perhaps these Bible pushers should do just that, then they would understand why what they were doing was wrong.

I think there would be much less hostility between people concerning religion if people made and honest attempt to understand all religions the best they can.

Perhaps these Bible pushers should do just that, then they would understand why what they were doing was wrong.

I dont see why sharing information is wrong.

Why give the kids any books whatsoever? They dont need to read anything.

Spoken like a true idiot and one that didn't go to school!!

So your saying that if they can't read the bible, they shouldn't read a math book or a science book??

Ok?? Add christians to the list of those that are propegating ignorance.. :cuckoo:

No. Im simply saying that only a complete moron would be happy about people not reading books.

And you are the one that said 'they don't need to read anything'.. So your the complete moron I guess..

Good call!! :clap2:

couldn't the kids have said "No thanks" to the offer of a Bible?

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?

Yeah but government can't and shouldn't sponsor a religion.

How is giving someone a book sponsoring a religion?

Man you are an idiot aren't you..

The bible, book of Mormons, Qo'ran, and other religous book is just that a religous book.. Handing them out to students is a promotion of that religion.. They are religious books so can't just say they are books.. They aren't!! They are books of religion..

Now, why can't the bible simple be kept in the library? With all the other books!! You don't need to pass a copy out to each child!! If the parents want thier children to read the bible, then they can buy one.. Must the bible be passed out or can it be kept in the library?? Or are you going to say that is wrong too?

School is for learning facts!! Like math and science.. The only books they should get are those that directly deal with the topic being learned.. The bible is no such book and is not part of any topic that should be taught in a public school!! A copy can be kept in the library should a student decide they wish to look at one..

But you don't understand these concepts do you?? For you it is all or nothing.. They can't have the bible so they shouldn't read anything.. Those were your words moron!!

The bible is a religious book and passing it out promotes religion.

242zwbm.jpg

We should let them teach history. May not be very accurate, but it would be a lot of laughs.

Really? Because it looks like they realized they couldnt afford a long drawn out lawsuit.

It could be that, of course. Settlements happen for a lot of reasons and aren't a concession. Usually, however, when cases settle, each party gets something. More likely, they consulted with an attorney who explained what the law on the subject is and told them they didn't have a chance of winning. At that point, maybe the financial investment in being a test case didn't seem so appealing to them.

Let me play "God's advocate" for a moment.

Let us say that an organization, not affiliated with the school system was handing out Bibles, Torahs, Qu'rans to school age children. Would that be a crine?

Now let us say this organization was a group of parents that composed the majority of the PTA? Would that be a problem.

Now let us say it was the school system that passed out these books-- but did not force the students to read them, but just gave them out. What would actually be the problem.

My problem with this issue is not the handing out of material, but the desire to turn the schoools into a specific recruiting gorund for a particular religion. You can hand out the books,(in my book) but let the parents decide if they want their kids in a theological course or not.

The Tennessee school board is in tthe wrong in regards to forcing students to participate in a religious program, but the passing out of holy books is only problematic from a financial point of view. If some one donated the books, then there is no problem.

Would you be okay with them being given Korans?

as long as there were no repercussions for refusing, I have no problem with it

Do you think that taxpayer's money should be used to purchase aforementioned religious texts?

Of course not unless it is for a religious studies class that is optional in the school, just as the purchase of any text on ANY subject may be relevant. I also believe using taxpayer money to subsidize the REQUIRED purchase of health care is unconstitutional, as is using taxpayer money to purchase abortions under the guise of "health care."

I guess it ALL applies. I appreciate the comment about the Constitution providing for the freedom OF, not FROM religion. Makes sense.

Why give the kids any books whatsoever? They dont need to read anything.

Spoken like a true idiot and one that didn't go to school!!

So your saying that if they can't read the bible, they shouldn't read a math book or a science book??

Ok?? Add christians to the list of those that are propegating ignorance.. :cuckoo:

True idiot, huh. Judging by the rest of his comment, I think Avatar was being facetious. By the way, "your" should be "you're." Maybe YOU might think about going back to school.

True idiot, huh. Judging by the rest of his comment, I think Avatar was being facetious. By the way, "your" should be "you're." Maybe YOU might think about going back to school.

Of course I was being facetious. What's the point of posting if you cant have fun with it?

I think people should learn about as much as they possible can. And I dont understand jumping up and down in excitement when people are not going to be learning about something. It's just a foreign concept from me

Forum List

Back