William Safire: The Dangers Of Lopsidedness

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Nov 4, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    good reasoning from Safire

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Well, I got a good chuckle out of that article.

Seems that whenever the Democrats win an election they close ranks and charge ahead with no regard for the opposition. But whenever the Democrats lose an election, then they start singing about bipartisanship, "reaching across the aisle", working together and "bringing the nation together".

If you recall the Johnson-Goldwater election of 1964 (of course you don't, you child you), Johnson defeated Goldwater by portraying him as a fanatic who would embroil this nation in a nuclear war. The truth was that Goldwater was an intelligent man of principle and Johnson was a cunning rat who lived in the political sewer. Had Goldwater been elected we would not have had the debacle in Viet Nam. Because being a man of principle, Goldwater would have done one of two things - he would have done whatever was necessary to bring a successful end to the war or he would have ended our involvement in it before it had a chance to develop into a major effort.

Likewise today, George Bush is faced with a choice. He can stick by his principles and pursue the course that he knows is right or he can allow the whining pleas from leftists to water down his resolve. If the latter happens, then Iraq will in fact turn into a quagmire. The liberals will have been the catalyst, but Pres. Bush will bear the blame.

This is a time for bipartisanship - but not on the terms suggested by the New York Times article and certainly not on the terms suggested in kerry's watery-eyed departure speech. If there is to be bipartisanship, let it be because the liberal Democrats have heard the voice of the people in this last election. Let the LIBERALS be the ones who change their reckless and irresponsible philosophies and come on board with the Bush administration and with the majority of the American people. This is a good time to come together as Americans and unite this nation in the continuing struggle against terror. Let's see if liberals are willing to put aside their petty partisan hatred and work for the good of the nation and the safety of our military. Personally, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

It is important to try to unify the country. It is far more important to do that which is right. The American people handed Pres. Bush a mandate by turning out in record numbers this last election. He should not squander that by pandering to the very element which was so soundly rejected by Americans this past November 2nd.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Don't fall for this nato. As soon as I saw, "Daschle should be offered a cabinet seat", I just stopped reading.