William Saffire

Safire passing highlights a passing of the torch in Conservative commentary. It used to be defined by the likes of Safire, William F Buckley and George Will. While you may not have agreed with what they were saying, you respected the messenger.

Now Conservative commentary is defined by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Volume substitutes for content and end results are more important than factual results.

The dumbing down of the Conservative movement

Last edited:
RIP. My condolences are with his family and loved ones.

He hasn't any fear of leaving conservatism uncovered as Thomas Sowell, Charles Krauthammer, George Will, etc. will continue to carry the torch of intellectualism in the GOP.

I hope Russert, Buckley, and now Safire will have a jolly good time up above as they watch the rest of us duke it out. I'd love to be whisked off there just for a day and join the conversation!

Safire passing highlights a passing of the torch in Conservative commentary. It used to be defined by the likes of Safire, William F Buckley and George Will. While you may not have agreed with what they were saying, you respected the messenger.

Now Conservative commentary is defined by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Volume substitutes for content and end results are more important than factual results.

Compared to Randy Rhodes, Jerry Springer, Al Franken and George Noory on the left, I think the left has mastered the dumbing down progress.

We saw it last Nov when the stupid asses, oops, masses, voted for this train wreck.

Compared to Randy Rhodes, Jerry Springer, Al Franken and George Noory on the left, I think the left has mastered the dumbing down progress.

We saw it last Nov when the stupid asses, oops, masses, voted for this train wreck.

Who? Randy Rhodes I think is (or was) on Air America which reaches a small percentage of radio listeners. Al Franken was elected to the Senate after DUMBING DOWN the incumbent DUMMY, Jerry Springer is a shock jock, and I've never heard of George Noory.
Nice try, but no cigar.

He will be missed.

Safire was a master of the English language, as Buckley was. He is credited with the term "nattering nabobs of negativism" in a speech written for Spiro Agnew, but oh how that phrase applies to today's chattering herds on both the right and the left!!

I just realized that for all my effusive comments, I spelled his name wrong. Oops.

Safire was a master of the English language, as Buckley was. He is credited with the term "nattering nabobs of negativism" in a speech written for Spiro Agnew, but oh how that phrase applies to today's chattering herds on both the right and the left!! - maggie

Can't argue that in the least.

I agree.

I really liked Safire. RIP.

Forum List

Back