will your job exist in 100 years?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
think about the power robots are gaining now, then imagine the advances in robotic engineering & artificial intelligence that will occur in the next 100 years, then evaluate whether you will be replaced by a machine.

I think by then almost all manufacturing positions will be robotic and that there won't be anything like combat soldiers as we know them today. You can also forget about unskilled manual labor and many single skilled jobs (working behind the counter at a fast food place will go first) as these will be robotic as well.

I have thought about this before and talked it over with people, and no one really disagreed with the robotic takeover, but the troubling thing will be what to do with the millions of people who have skills that are no longer needed.

As long as there is booze and violence I will work.

Usually in a drunk and violent gusto.

I think the Chinese have the answer to this problem yet again, just turn humans into robots.

think about the power robots are gaining now, then imagine the advances in robotic engineering & artificial intelligence that will occur in the next 100 years, then evaluate whether you will be replaced by a machine.

I think by then almost all manufacturing positions will be robotic and that there won't be anything like combat soldiers as we know them today. You can also forget about unskilled manual labor and many single skilled jobs (working behind the counter at a fast food place will go first) as these will be robotic as well.

I have thought about this before and talked it over with people, and no one really disagreed with the robotic takeover, but the troubling thing will be what to do with the millions of people who have skills that are no longer needed.

None of us today will be working in 100 years anyway, so who cares?

But to the point. Companies and Conglomerates exist to make money. There is no need to manufacture consumer goods and not a lot of need for non consumer goods if no one can afford to buy them. So the idea that these companies would destroy the work force, and in doing so destroy their customer base, is not very well thought out.

Not gonna happen.

But to the point. Companies and Conglomerates exist to make money. There is no need to manufacture consumer goods and not a lot of need for non consumer goods if no one can afford to buy them. So the idea that these companies would destroy the work force, and in doing so destroy their customer base, is not very well thought out.

Not gonna happen.

No, the workforce will consist of mechanics instead of linemen. Ultimately, all human physical labor will be replaced by hyper-efficient machinery.

As the human brain will be the only advantage humans have over robots, and so the entire population will be forced to perform knowledge-work to survive. You spend your time thinking of better and more ways to use robotics, or you starve.

This is assuming, of course, that we do not knock ourselves into a Dark Age, in the meantime.

Last edited:

Not gonna happen.

eagleseven is right. the work force will be robotic, and people will exist to create better robots, maintain them, and get them in the right place. This will also create a rift between the population. You will have people who will have more time and resources to advance teh sciences, but then you will have the population who is unemployable because they only posses manual labor type skills

Not gonna happen.

Bullshit. Look at what our companies are doing right now! These people are incapable of looking beyond five years, and most only look a year ahead for the bonuses. If this were not true, we would not be in the present financial crisis.

Someone always has to program the robots. Been there done that. To say nothing of which even with the best programing it still takes longer to set up and run a cnc than it does an engine so for small runs of custom items it is still more efficent for most companies with more than a handful of product lines to have somebody around to do short runs manually.

I'm a teacher. Much of what I do is now being replaced by computers. But in a hundred years from now, parents will still want a place to dump off their brats for the day. Schools will always be needed to save mothers from going insane. :eek:

Forum List

Back