CDZ Will You Take the Pledge?

Let's face it: People with little or no Executive experience make lousy Presidents. You might cite Harry Truman as an exception, but he came into that office within an administration that had been running the country for over 12 years. Don't forget, Lyndon Johnson's foray into Viet Nam makes the Iraq War look like child's play.
Not that all Governors make good Presidents (Jimmy Carter comes to mind), but at least they come into office with some idea of how to assemble a Cabinet. In order to prevent another disastrous Presidency, I take the following pledge:

I will not vote for any Presidential candidate who has not previously been Governor of a State.

Anyone care to join me?
Disagree.

Being governor of a state in no way 'prepares' one to be president – Sarah Palin is proof of that.

Nor does lack of 'executive experience' render one a 'bad' president – Eisenhower, as already noted.

The notion that one should 'pledge' to vote only for a presidential candidate who is a former governor is consequently invalid.

As an aside, this 'pledge' is also likely politically motivated, given that Hillary Clinton will likely be the democratic nominee and her republican opponent a former governor.

Being governor of a state in no way 'prepares' one to be president – Sarah Palin is proof of that.

Your statement is fallacious in two ways: First, being Governor of a State is, functionally, more similar to being a President than any other position you can name (which, of course, you can't). Secondly, Sarah Palin has not been President, so there is no factual or logical basis for your assertion.

Forum List

Back