Will you fast

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Your Cuddly Choco Bear
26th is ash Wednesday I will not eat meat and then 40 days I will refrain from eating any sweet food that is difficult for me because I really like and treat myself with a sweet dish every day after lunch

I love Ash Wednesday myself. There are joints near here that serve traditional one-pound fish sandwiches along with huge portions of halushki and slaw in celebration. Rinse it down with a couple of tall drafts, really gets people into the holiday mood.

26th is ash Wednesday I will not eat meat and then 40 days I will refrain from eating any sweet food that is difficult for me because I really like and treat myself with a sweet dish every day after lunch
I'm old school. I don't eat meat on Fridays throughout the year. No meat on Ash Wednesday and a fast throughout lent- one meal per day. I will also do more devotions.

Go for it. There is nothing like a good Lenten observance. I've done the giving up sweets and/or daily Mass for many years--or have limited myself to a small number of calories. It has proven to be an excellent focus which leads to beautiful Easters.

However, this year, I've been having the feeling of, "Been there, done that...so many times!" The great thing about Lent is that it is a great jump start for good habits to continue, and after decades, I've pretty much jump-started myself to year-round good habits, and I've found myself wondering, "Now what do I do?"

"Do", I decided is the key word. Isaiah says the Lord wants us to free the oppressed, feed, shelter those in need, and not turning your back on your own. The final one, "Not turning your back on your own," has hooked my imagination because I drive, I teach, and am therefore around an awful lot of people who are not relatives or even close friends--but are still "my own." But...do I give them the same attention and service as "my own"? I think I can do a whole lot better in giving them my full attention, not just passing attention. Would it set them free, would they feel 'fed' and 'sheltered' it I gave them more?

What if, instead of focusing on food, I made my Lenten focus on improving what I give and extend of myself to the every day people who I meet and who cross my path each day? This is not to say that I will eat meat on days of abstinence or become a glutton or even start skipping daily Mass or stop giving to charities who serve the poor. What if I continue to do what I normally throughout the year in that regard...plus add a new dimension of not turning my back (or simply passing through) my own?

Go for it. There is nothing like a good Lenten observance. I've done the giving up sweets and/or daily Mass for many years--or have limited myself to a small number of calories. It has proven to be an excellent focus which leads to beautiful Easters.

However, this year, I've been having the feeling of, "Been there, done that...so many times!" The great thing about Lent is that it is a great jump start for good habits to continue, and after decades, I've pretty much jump-started myself to year-round good habits, and I've found myself wondering, "Now what do I do?"

"Do", I decided is the key word. Isaiah says the Lord wants us to free the oppressed, feed, shelter those in need, and not turning your back on your own. The final one, "Not turning your back on your own," has hooked my imagination because I drive, I teach, and am therefore around an awful lot of people who are not relatives or even close friends--but are still "my own." But...do I give them the same attention and service as "my own"? I think I can do a whole lot better in giving them my full attention, not just passing attention. Would it set them free, would they feel 'fed' and 'sheltered' it I gave them more?

What if, instead of focusing on food, I made my Lenten focus on improving what I give and extend of myself to the every day people who I meet and who cross my path each day? This is not to say that I will eat meat on days of abstinence or become a glutton or even start skipping daily Mass or stop giving to charities who serve the poor. What if I continue to do what I normally throughout the year in that regard...plus add a new dimension of not turning my back (or simply passing through) my own?

Great

The reason for me to become Catholic is because the catholic church is 1) world wide and bigger 1.4 billion followers so you have a wider audience to evangelize, to preach the Gospel, to reach humanity and I want to be a evangelizer or priest 2) The rules are less strict then in orthodox church, in orthodox church the priest barely preaches the Gospel he only prays according to his rules what is written in his prayer book and he has only liturgy no preach, the protestants have to less rules, and they do everything free, the Catholic church has the right balance between apostolic tradition, liturgy, and preaching the Gospel, also you fast differently and you sing in church in orthodox church only the wife and kids of the priest sing you dont really participate you dont really feel the personal connection to Jesus Christ 3) the orthodox church divided from the catholic because of politics, it was nationalisation, and the orthodox churches are tiny shizmatics who still fragment into divided parties like the montengrins arrested serbian clerics and because of nationalisation dont want to be serbian-orthodox anymore, that has nothing to do with faith but with politics, jesus said "You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of Hell wont overcome you, Peter was the first Bishop of Rome where he died and the Pope is the Peter and he has the keys to heaven

• One more reason the catholic church takes the missonary commandment of the bible more serious. The catholics are everywhere to baptise the whole mankind. The orthodox are like "tribal religions" they barely do missonary work at least the serbian church,

Today is Friday. I dont eat meat. I eat potatoes and eggs. I dont eat sweets, candies or sweet dishes. This one day a week. I try to fast.

Egg is a meat fetus
The only key Jorge has is the keys to the back door at Cerveceria Mario in barrio Grecia, Buenos Aires HAIL MARY !

I partook of Christianity's symbolic sacrifice as a lad.

the meaning gets lost in the ceremonial metaphor

~S~

Today is Friday. I dont eat meat. I eat potatoes and eggs. I dont eat sweets, candies or sweet dishes. This one day a week. I try to fast.
Good for you, Mortimer. I've found it helpful when I feel hungry on Fridays to remember that Jesus didn't get to eat anything on Good Friday.

That's not fasting. That's doing without meat. And no, I'm not part of the Catholic cult. America was founded a Protestant country. You assume too much.

That's not fasting. That's doing without meat

is there a Vegan in the house???
f2124724727266f73a7fff7bca2a78f6.jpg

~S~

Forum List

Back