Will you buy an electric car?

Nope..

1 more year till my Challenger.

My tesla is faster than your challenger ;) The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

hero_roadster_fusion-red.jpg

And 53K$ more Expensive..

And no..

Nothing beats the beauty of a Muscle Car.

15484-2008-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8.jpg

Sorry ;) I've been saving money for the Challenger for the last 3 years.

I'm curious as to what Chevy does with the Volt.

Me too; also Nissan with the Leaf and Toyota with a new iteration of the RAV4. The major automakers are finally getting serious - about damn time.
Of course there are those who need vehicles for longer travels, and others who are of the kind who fear change and cling to the status quo - much like those of the past who whined about the horseless carriage and how it would put black smiths out of work.
Many Americans commute less than 100 miles a day, and many of them are the only person in the vehicle; as a commute vehicle and a get-about-town electric vehicles are the future, it simply makes sense.

Me too; also Nissan with the Leaf and Toyota with a new iteration of the RAV4. The major automakers are finally getting serious - about damn time.
Of course there are those who need vehicles for longer travels, and others who are of the kind who fear change and cling to the status quo - much like those of the past who whined about the horseless carriage and how it would put black smiths out of work.
Many Americans commute less than 100 miles a day, and many of them are the only person in the vehicle; as a commute vehicle and a get-about-town electric vehicles are the future, it simply makes sense.

If there is a market then it will happen naturally. That's how the free market works.

I can't afford to buy, insure, license, and maintain a car just to get around town in though. My car has to get me around town, sometimes with as many as 8 to 12 stops during the day, AND get me across country of 100 to 200 miles of nothing.

So sure, make electric cars if there are people willing to buy them. But the U.S. auto makers for too long had been making cars people weren't willing to buy enough of and that cost us many billions of dollars in bailout money for the auto makers.

I don't want to see a repeat of that just because a few folks think electric cars are the way to go now.

Seems to be the future, unless the reactionary's get their way.

When I plug my Electric Car into the Power Grid here in Denver, what will Xcel Energy burn to Produce the Power that I am Using for my Car?...

:)

peace...
1) the power plant is burning, probably fossil fuel to make electricity

2) your car emits carbon as a result of burning gasoline.

3) the power plant is generating electricity anyway

4) removing the impact of your gasoline car reduces the environmental impact that engine makes.

5) the power plant is generating electricity anyway

6) the fewer gasoline engines emitting carbon filled exhaust would be a benefit to both the environment and our dependence on foreign oil

7) the emissions at the power plant can be more easily controlled and abated as it is a single source compared to the tens of thousands of gasoline engines operating in the service area of that power plant.

9) the power plant is generating electricity anyway

I'd love cheap, reliable transportation back and forth to work, ten miles each way, with a trip to Taco Bueno at lunch, then down the street for cigs and wine on the weekends. Make it affordable - meaning a fraction of the cost of a traditional auto, and hell yes, I'll buy.

When I plug my Electric Car into the Power Grid here in Denver, what will Xcel Energy burn to Produce the Power that I am Using for my Car?...

peace...

Well, it maybe that Colorado will be stuck in the 20th Century. Many areas of our country can expect wind, solar and geothermal sources of energy for the production of electricity. Electric cars are not a panacea, but I suspect they will have a larger nich then some believe. Hybrids too, but they will not replace the internal combustion engine.

If there is a market then it will happen naturally. That's how the free market works.

I can't afford to buy, insure, license, and maintain a car just to get around town in though. My car has to get me around town, sometimes with as many as 8 to 12 stops during the day, AND get me across country of 100 to 200 miles of nothing.

So sure, make electric cars if there are people willing to buy them. But the U.S. auto makers for too long had been making cars people weren't willing to buy enough of and that cost us many billions of dollars in bailout money for the auto makers.

I don't want to see a repeat of that just because a few folks think electric cars are the way to go now.

"If there is a market then it will happen naturally. That's how the free market works."

I wish this were true. The 'free' market is manipulated by those with the weatlh and power to control legislation and public perception.

peace...

Well, it maybe that Colorado will be stuck in the 20th Century. Many areas of our country can expect wind, solar and geothermal sources of energy for the production of electricity. Electric cars are not a panacea, but I suspect they will have a larger nich then some believe. Hybrids too, but they will not replace the internal combustion engine.

It's called COAL, Hammerhead...

You aren't Fueling a Nation of Electric Cars Plugging into the Grid on Wind... Solar or anything else.

But you go ahead and Litter Mother Earth with Propellers and Solar Panels that won't pay for themselves before their Lifespan is up NOR will they Fuel ANYTHING of Consequence...

peace...

I wouldn't be opposed to it when it is a "real" alternative. The current offerings are not what I would categorize as "real."

If I were going to buy a 20% solution like the Volt, I would expect to pay a 20% price. I'm not interested in "sharing the burden" with Government Motors. But, lots of lefties like taxes and like sharing the burden, here's an opportunity to help old Government Motors out and do both of the above. We'll all be watching with rapt attention to see if money goes with where their mouth is.

kondadv is right. Nothing more annoying than someone with a loud exhaust rumbling through the neighborhood. Instead of making the exhaust louder, why not look into penis enlargement? That way, I can still read or sleep or watch a movie or carry on a conversation without being interrupted by a juvenile who must be hung like a cigarette and is compensating by making his car/motorcycle louder.

And yes, once they make an electric car rechargeable from a 110 volt outlet, I'm in!

Who said anything about a loud exhaust. One does not need a loud exhaust to hear an engine.

You don't know much about muscle cars do you?

Motorator Video - V8TV '65 Chevelle MagnaFlow Exhaust Install Video
If it's not the exhaust we're forced to hear, what component of the engine is it? The cam shaft? C'mon! Loud exhausts are an unwelcome intruder and should be policed thoroughly.

Spank the bottom of the petulant, childish driver in the middle of the town square. Teach him that, just as an unruly child in a restaurant, making noise in the neighborhood is not his right nor even his privilege. It's just rudeness.

You've obviously have never heard a well tuned muscle car. Your loss.

Everyone in Oregon has Priuses. I saw dozens yesterday traveling back from Salem.

It made me think of Shogun...he used to say Priuses would never catch on because they're too ugly. The state has a bunch of them in their fleet, and they're ALL OVER THE PLACE.

We have one at my work and I've driven it. It's okay except it's small and low to the ground. It wouldn't work for the kids.

I'm of the mind that any "man" who buys a prius is a sissy.

Electric motors cannot be beat for pure acceleration but they just aren't as satisfying as hearing a big block engine roaring as you stomp on the accelerator.

While you are listening to the noise, the electric will be taking the checkered flag:lol:

Did I not just say that an electric motor cannot be beat for pure acceleration? Any car will go further on a tankful than a Tesla on a charge.

The Tesla gets less than 250 miles before needing a recharge and that's probably at 60 mph tell me how long that charge will last at 80 or 90 mph. And the top speed of a Tesla is limited to 125 mph. Shit, I've had my RX8( not a muscle car) up to 135 in fifth gear and it's got 6 and that was before I installed a turbo.

Last edited:

peace...

It's called COAL, Hammerhead...

You aren't Fueling a Nation of Electric Cars Plugging into the Grid on Wind... Solar or anything else.

But you go ahead and Litter Mother Earth with Propellers and Solar Panels that won't pay for themselves before their Lifespan is up NOR will they Fuel ANYTHING of Consequence...

peace...

On Friday 5 December 1952 a dense smoke-filled fog shrouded London and brought the city to a standstill for four days.
Motor vehicles were abandoned, trains were disrupted and airports were forced to close.

A Ministry of Health report estimated that 4,075 more people had died than would have been expected to under normal conditions.
"In a city traditionally notorious for its fogs there was general agreement on its exceptional severity on this occasion," the Ministry said.
The first reported casualties of the smog were cattle at the Smithfield Show.
At Sadler's Wells, the opera La Traviata had to be abandoned after the first act because the theatre was so full of smog.
But it was the coroners and doctors in the city's hospital who first became aware of its deadly effects.
Most victims died from respiratory or cardiovascular problems but only those "prone to such ailments" were affected.
The main pollutants were believed to be by-products of coal burning which was said to have reached "exceptional levels".
And high pressure, near freezing temperatures and very light winds kept the smog hanging over London.
No school
But to the great majority of healthy individuals, the smog was little more than a nuisance.
One of those that experienced it was Ken Livingstone, the current Mayor of London, who "didn't have to go to school for a few days".
"The fog was simply so thick that parents were advised not to risk letting their children get lost on the way to school, unless it was literally round the corner."
He added: "When my parents went out they had to cover their nose and mouth with a handkerchief.

"In response to the 1952 smog, the Government passed legislation to phase out coal fires, which meant initially many people transferred to paraffin heaters.
"I have to say that I was quite pleased because it was my job to go out and clean the fire out in the morning - raking out all the bits of unburned coal to save them for the next fire."
The battle for better air quality continues. Mr Livingstone has to meet tough targets imposed by the government and the European Union.
London has 80 monitoring stations dotted all over the city.
Inside each are computers and monitoring equipment that suck in air and measure the levels of carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and other pollutants.
They also analyse fine particulates - very small pieces of pollution that can get deep down into the lungs.
On Thursday, after visiting one of these stations on Marylebone Road in central London, air quality minister Alun Michael said: "I remember the smogs Londoners suffered as I visited the capital most autumns as a child. They were awful.
"Nowadays, partly as a result of the Clean Air Act, we are lucky to enjoy much better air quality."

But it is estimated that London will not achieve the annual government targets for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and daily fine particles.
Levels for both pollutants are expected to exceed their targets along the major road networks.
In addition, NO2 levels are also expected to exceed targets for central London and around Heathrow Airport.
Despite this, Gary Fuller from the environmental research group at King's College London, said: "Air quality has improved vastly in London, simply because we don't burn much coal anymore.
"The main threat is obviously cars. It's a case of can we improve air quality fast enough as more and more cars come onto the roads."

Last edited:
Who said anything about a loud exhaust. One does not need a loud exhaust to hear an engine.

You don't know much about muscle cars do you?

Motorator Video - V8TV '65 Chevelle MagnaFlow Exhaust Install Video
If it's not the exhaust we're forced to hear, what component of the engine is it? The cam shaft? C'mon! Loud exhausts are an unwelcome intruder and should be policed thoroughly.

Spank the bottom of the petulant, childish driver in the middle of the town square. Teach him that, just as an unruly child in a restaurant, making noise in the neighborhood is not his right nor even his privilege. It's just rudeness.

Muscle cars, Harley Davidsons, piece of shit Ford Tempos rumble past my home (on a corner and at the base of a hill) all the time. How many times have I had to re-read a paragraph, rewind a movie, as for someone to please repeat themselves after the roar of an engine intrudes on my peace and quite?

It's an intrusion, and an unwelcome one at that. All to 'please' the driver?!? I think it's so that driver can insert himself into everyone else's life whether they want it or not.

Muscle cars, Harley Davidsons, piece of shit Ford Tempos rumble past my home (on a corner and at the base of a hill) all the time. How many times have I had to re-read a paragraph, rewind a movie, as for someone to please repeat themselves after the roar of an engine intrudes on my peace and quite?

It's an intrusion, and an unwelcome one at that. All to 'please' the driver?!? I think it's so that driver can insert himself into everyone else's life whether they want it or not.

My god but aren't you a fucking crybaby.

My god but aren't you a fucking crybaby.
I'll be over tomorrow morning with a bugle to wake you. Ever hear a finely tuned bugle at dawn? It pleases me.

Forum List

Back