Will you buy an electric car?

when they are cheaper and more practicle, maybe.
right now you'll pay an early adopter premium up the wazzu and be stuck to a limited radius around your house.

Seems to be the future, unless the reactionary's get their way.

Only if they are charged by solar power, otherwise I'm still using fossil fuels where I live.

It's not just about the fuel used. It's also about efficiency. Even if fossil fuels are used to generate the electricity, it's still more efficient, resulting in fewer pollutants and GHGs than gasoline.

Electric vs Gasoline – Which is more cost effective? True Cost – Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

Electric motors cannot be beat for pure acceleration but they just aren't as satisfying as hearing a big block engine roaring as you stomp on the accelerator.

There are highways in New Mexico where gas stations are more than 100 miles apart.

Hybrids make sense because the fossil fuel charges the battery. Electric cars for all but the smallest of areas simply don't make sense for now.

So no, I wouldn't buy one. Not now. Not where I live.

But I might buy one of these just to putter around the neighborhood, go to the grocery store, etc. Made in India it is the world's cheapest car retailing fully equipped around $2,500 and it gets gas mileage like a motorcycle and it is reported to be fun to drive. Why aren't U.S. auto makers looking at something like this?

The Nano:

tata_nano_0110.jpg

Electric cars are good in countries that have limited fuel supplies - the Japs, the Chinks, African Negors, etc. We have an unlimited limitless supply of oil and gas in Canada. Eat your hearts out too. Our Prime Minister comes from Alberta so the environmentalists can go a f**k themselves. Oh yes, before you condem our oil just understand that 26% of the oil and gas Americans use daily comes from the "dirty" tar sands in Alberta. Of course you can always switch to a bike and peddle down I 95 to FLA. Clean and cheap................

Last edited:
Seems to be the future, unless the reactionary's get their way.

Only if they are charged by solar power, otherwise I'm still using fossil fuels where I live.

It's not just about the fuel used. It's also about efficiency. Even if fossil fuels are used to generate the electricity, it's still more efficient, resulting in fewer pollutants and GHGs than gasoline.

Electric vs Gasoline – Which is more cost effective? True Cost – Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

I'll read that.

We have three cars, Honda Obyssey for me and the family trip, Chevy Malibu for my wife, Ford Ranger for the rare need for a p/u.
We plan to sell the Ranger and the Chevy and buy an electric vehicle. My agency, over 10 years ago, got a Honda electric vehicle for a couple of months to test. It was wonderful. My commute for over 30 years with less than 10 miles (each way); an all electric vehicle would have been ideal had one been available. Living in California, 30 miles and two sets of hills from the coast, we have sun probably 300 days a year.
A solar roof and an electric car - maybe a second car - makes sense.

Last edited:
that little Indian car wouldn't pass our saftey test, if a mini cooper hit it the thing would crumble like a gum wrapper.

No! I would'nt. They are too expensive and I would never be able to get to Tucson and back on one charge. I'm not willing to spent the night there charging up my car and having to rent a hotel room. I then get back to my home and have to recharge it again before I can go to my little town (20 mile round trip). Way to expensive and time consuming.

Electric motors cannot be beat for pure acceleration but they just aren't as satisfying as hearing a big block engine roaring as you stomp on the accelerator.

You say "satisfying", I say "annoying".

Wimp.
kondadv is right. Nothing more annoying than someone with a loud exhaust rumbling through the neighborhood. Instead of making the exhaust louder, why not look into penis enlargement? That way, I can still read or sleep or watch a movie or carry on a conversation without being interrupted by a juvenile who must be hung like a cigarette and is compensating by making his car/motorcycle louder.

And yes, once they make an electric car rechargeable from a 110 volt outlet, I'm in!

And yes, once they make an electric car rechargeable from a 110 volt outlet, I'm in!

That's all well and good if you're going to make a short run and can wait some time before you make the next run.

But in my business I go to the customer's location, do my thing, go to the next customer and so forth often driving some distance and usually spending less than an hour at each stop. Or sometimes I have to travel across country into areas with long distances between towns and that are sparsely populated.

How long does it take to charge that battery when it starts getting low? And how many times is it convenient to have to wait while it charges? At the gasoline pump, I'm in and out of the station in less than 5 minutes. Technology doesn't allow us to recharge a battery quickly yet.

You come up with one that will get me 300 miles down the road at highway speeds, allow me to recharge in 15 minutes and do it again, haul four people and two weeks worth of luggage, and make it price comparable with that 4 door-V8 powered-18 mpg. truck that is in my driveway, and I will take a look at it.

Last edited:
You come up with one that will get me 300 miles down the road at highway speeds, allow me to recharge in 15 minutes and do it again, haul four people and two weeks worth of luggage, and make it price comparable with that 4 door-V8 powered-18 mpg. truck that is in my driveway, and I will take a look at it.

Heck make it comparable to my severely underpowered 1995 Subaru Impreza Outback and make it go as far, be as efficient and convenient to refuel, and be as economical to purchase, maintain, and operate and be as dependable in all kinds of weather and conditions, and I will take a look at it too.

Forum List

Back