Will you be a patriot?

I think the best thing I can do for my country and myself is to make every financial decision in a capitalistic manner.

I'm not saying you're morally wrong or anything, just saying that doesn't sound like a fiscally conservative approach.

I don't care what it 'sounds like'. I would certainly invest in the United States of America... because I believe it's a solid investment. If they offered bonds to help pay down the debt, I would most certainly give it very serious consideration to invest in. I would, of course, want to see the fine print. I don't trust the government to use my investment for the purpose of paying the debt so I'd need to see a solid ringfence for the money.

Most of us who remain debt free know that throwing money at a money problem never fixes the money problem..

Hence, I would be looking for a guarantee that any bond I bought was to go directly to, and only to, paying down the deficit. Like you, I don't believe that 'throwing more money' at problems will fix the problems, but we could actually fix the deficit problem by throwing money at it.

I've watching WEF interviews with with some of the most credible economists in in the world. These folks maintain their credibility as the have "no ax to grind" or no alterior motive to their opinions. The economic conscientious, of the economists, is that the US government is: "weak leadership", "populist directives", "inability to act", "misdirected", "short sighted", "ineffective" e.g.

These valuations are obvious due to congress's (recently displayed) inability cut military/security spending, alleviate earmark spending, rejection of the US Debt Commission's plan, inability to instill voluntary austerity, escalation in annual budget, continued corporate welfare e.g.

So the question is WHEN (I don't believe it is any longer a case on "if") the US starts to have trouble selling it bonds, will YOU step up and help by "buying stock in America". This was the strategy during during WWII and Japan's current debt crisis and it's going to happen again.

This reminds me of when Donald Trum was $50mil in debt and about to declare bankruptcy - he met with his creditors who extended him another $20mil.

The U.S. governemnt is the backbone of the world's financial system and the world's economy. If our governamt every approaches bankruptcy you'll see creditors all over the world making deals and forgiving debt like there's no tomorrow. 'Cause if the U.S. government ever defaults these people are totally screwed.

ISo the question is WHEN (I don't believe it is any longer a case on "if") the US starts to have trouble selling it bonds, will YOU step up and help by "buying stock in America".

Why on earth would I make such a moronic investment?

This was the strategy during during WWII and Japan's current debt crisis and it's going to happen again.

And what does 1940s America have to do with today's?

No, but then again I fail to see how supporting the same things that are leading this county to ruin by funding them myself is patriotic. Change is not going to come in that manner.

How might you think that change will occur?

I can tell you that it absolutely will not occur as long as the American people are abiding the crap the politicians are throwing at us. I will not support the insane spending habit that this country seems to be embroiled in.

The military and HSA are immune to cuts this round.

And I should buy dubiously valued BONDS to support that crap?

I don't think so.

Ohhh man, I hear you on that one. Nothing more makes the hair, on the back of my head, stand up. Well... maybe one thing, the people here do not grasp the concept. The fix in this country is easy:

1. draw back all fear mongering expenses like military, security, spying, prisons (victimless crimes)

2. Require all Americans not to be innumerate and have a grasp pf basic statistics. Just because, 3000 people died ten years ago does not mean you are going to die. The government CAN NOT reasonably protect you from others or from your self.

3. End corporate welfare. End plutocracy.

4. Defiantly not least, invest all the money from above in the human capital; innovation , education, trend setting, engineering, motivation, etc.

I guess it's just easier to kill and imprison.

Last edited:
You know what's interesting? Someone mentioned buying a California bond and no one would do that. It's all a matter of confidence, but suddenly I thought I would buy a bond for New Jersy. That's how much confidence I have for Chris Christi.

Straight forward, honest, no anterior motives, work hard, not afraid. What the hell was Chris Christi doing running for public office?

Being a patriotic conservative, I would invest in my country's debt by buying bonds. Even if I lost money on them.

You are the only one. I would buy them but only if congress had a clear cut path to getting public debt down to 50% of GDP. I guess that is the same as I would never buy them isn't it?

No

I will continue to invest my money where it will receive the highest rate of return while minimizing risk

The Government is free to tax that money

bond are tax deferred and are inflation guaranteed. You would never pay tax if you just keep rolling them over,

So buying bonds is patriotic??

Oh it will be baby! When everybody else stops buying them, you will never see the likes of the propaganda.

But to sell more bonds the US has to be able to go deeper in debt, and the tea party 'patriots' among others don't want to raise the debt ceiling...

...so not only do they themselves not want to be 'patriotic', they want to deny you that opportunity as well.

The Tea Party folks are basically anarchist when contrasted to our fascist government. Remember the Napolitano's comments about the right wing extremists. Anyone in government is for "big government", they thrive on the power that makes it big. Anyone for liberty, limited government, small military/security is obviously anti-government (anarchist to some degree) . Since the government is the media, the term "patriot" will not be used much.

Last edited:
These are the same "experts" that got blindsided by the finiancial fall?

Actually, Libsky (IMF), Siglitz (WB) and Roubini (IMF) foresaw the collapse. Roubini actually had the timing correct. Rajan, rarely makes such predictions. Clinton had to have seen it coming.

Links for when they first started warning about the fall?

all I heard before it started down was some what people called left wing nuts.
Including me ;)

Dude, these people are not bloggers. They are not journalists. The write white-papers for foundations like the IMF or massive organizations like WB. If you really want to know who was "on" and what the issues really are, read Fault Lines by Ragan. He is a very humble heavy hitter, IMF, head of CSE (one the foremost economics school in the world). He not all doom or gloom either like Roubini.

The U.S. governemnt is the backbone of the world's financial system and the world's economy. If our governamt every approaches bankruptcy you'll see creditors all over the world making deals and forgiving debt like there's no tomorrow. 'Cause if the U.S. government ever defaults these people are totally screwed.

The emerging markets (Asia), Russia, Middle East, much of South America are doing their very best to remove this backbone by developing alternative trade packs. You are right a default to either EU or US would catastrophic (the EU is worse off than we are). That is the reason that the trouble will start in the 10 treasuries notes.

Forum List

Back