Will you be a patriot?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sail Away, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Sail Away

Sail Away Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've watching WEF interviews with with some of the most credible economists in in the world. These folks maintain their credibility as the have "no ax to grind" or no alterior motive to their opinions. The economic conscientious, of the economists, is that the US government is: "weak leadership", "populist directives", "inability to act", "misdirected", "short sighted", "ineffective" e.g.

These valuations are obvious due to congress's (recently displayed) inability cut military/security spending, alleviate earmark spending, rejection of the US Debt Commission's plan, inability to instill voluntary austerity, escalation in annual budget, continued corporate welfare e.g.

So the question is WHEN (I don't believe it is any longer a case on "if") the US starts to have trouble selling it bonds, will YOU step up and help by "buying stock in America". This was the strategy during during WWII and Japan's current debt crisis and it's going to happen again.

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,907
    I suppose, 'Afghanistan War Bonds' would be a hard sell.
    I consider myself to be patriotic, BUT I'M NOT A TOTAL FUCKIN' IDIOT!
    In fact, it would be patriotic NOT to buy them, if they were ever offered.

3. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,327
    No, but then again I fail to see how supporting the same things that are leading this county to ruin by funding them myself is patriotic. Change is not going to come in that manner.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    These are the same "experts" that got blindsided by the finiancial fall?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Sail Away

Sail Away Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm not implying war bonds! The government sell bonds to finance debt. As the US accumulate more and more debt and shows less and less fiscal discipline, international bond buyers will eventually lose interest or interest rates will grow. Hence, the government will turn to the public asking them to buy it's debt (beggar's bonds). The government will use words like "honor" "allegence" "duty" "patriot" and other words an marketing terms, attempting to get you to buy.

If you you don't buy? - sovereign default, internal currency devaluation, mass austerity.

6. Sail Away

Sail Away Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How might you think that change will occur?

7. Sail Away

Sail Away Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually, Libsky (IMF), Siglitz (WB) and Roubini (IMF) foresaw the collapse. Roubini actually had the timing correct. Rajan, rarely makes such predictions. Clinton had to have seen it coming.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,907

Okay. Forget war bonds, me bad.

The government does not need to turn to the public to buy debt nor need to use patriotic catchphrases to hypothetically market bonds to the public to finance debt. Why? Because government already is using some of the public's money to already finance debt. It's called taxes!
    For example, the government has already been buying at least 1/3rd of California's state bonds to finance California's debt whether or not you live in California. And I don't remember the government marketing to me, a non-Californian, to buy California bonds for not only the good of California, but the Union as a whole. I bought, you bought, and we bought, basically, not because we were marketed 'beggar's bonds'; we bought because we had no choice.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. JFK_USA

JFK_USA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    If being a patroit means to be a complete idiot like US Army Retired, count me out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    It's improbable, seeing as I'm not a nationalist by nature.