Will we be hit again?

...After all, there has been no real effort made to secure America's borders. It's all been nothing but smoke and mirrors so far. In fact, Dubbyuh and his flock of neo-con chickenhawks are probably counting on it. It would give them the excuse they need to throw the Constitution out the window.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...After all, there has been no real effort made to secure America's borders. It's all been nothing but smoke and mirrors so far. In fact, Dubbyuh and his flock of neo-con chickenhawks are probably counting on it. It would give them the excuse they need to throw the Constitution out the window.

There are thousands of miles of border, and really no reasonable way to secure them. A better course might be not giving others a reason or excuse to try to blow us up.

The room has a pretty amusing bunch of "characters". I take it all in stride. I agree with the "conservatives" on some things, though I wish that they were more in favor of removing vice from the law books.

Thinking back on your comment about looking at the cockpit display reminded me of the times when I'd try to "help" my dad work on the car. I'd always be next to him saying "What's that do? What's that for? Why did that do that? Where does that go? Whaz-dat? Where dat go? Why's that there?....etc. (LOL). It amazes me why he didn't say "Oh, shut up and go watch tv."

Originally posted by Reilly
There are thousands of miles of border, and really no reasonable way to secure them. A better course might be not giving others a reason or excuse to try to blow us up.

good luck trying to use that argument.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
good luck trying to use that argument.

Well of course I don't really believe that. Throughout our history the United States has only acted for good, never evil. To those who would suggest otherwise, we shall strike down upon them with Thor's mighty hammer and they shall feel only terror and regret. ;)

Originally posted by Sir Evil
I think they should leave the borders open, I always wanted a turbin mount next to my fish & game mounts!:D

I would think it is very easy to stuff a turbin. A little toilet paper, some scrunched up paper bags, and its done.

How much would it cost to build a wall like the old "Berlin" wall all along the Mexico-USA border and all along the US-Canada border. We could have 1 door at each border....only one way in and one way out. I think that it would be impractical but I just wonder how much the construction of something so huge would cost.

Probably hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maybe even millions. We can just take it out of Head Start, Medicare and Social Security.

Well of course I don't really believe that. Throughout our history the United States has only acted for good, never evil. To those who would suggest otherwise, we shall strike down upon them with Thor's mighty hammer and they shall feel only terror and regret. ;)

I know of some native american tribes that would disagree with that assessment.

I think that we should be fair about Social Security by returning it to the people that paid into it. Perhaps the same should apply to Medicare. Still, there are other, more nanny-style baby-sitting policies and agencies that we can do without. The National Endowment for the Arts is one such monstrosity. Who is government to tell me what artists are worthy of my tax money? Anyway, I wouldn't mind our shrinking or doing away with many such domestic policies to strengthen our borders and use the money to strengthen and tighten our borders.

----------

Yes. The USA has done some bad things. Thankfully, we are free to criticize our government.

Something to think about:

Two weeks ago I left for an engineering competition in New Mexico. There were 8 people in a new white, 15 seater van with rental licence plates. In our van, we had our prototype produce washer (for the competition). Now, we arrived at US Customs at Pembina, ND and we were through in less than 15 seconds. They didn't even take our passports to process.

Now, if I'm a country worried about security I would have frisked our van so quickly. Not only did we have an unknown device that could have, well potentially, been anything, but if say we did have malicious intentions, they would have just passed us through and we had a carte blanche.

Now, I can't complain as a traveller, it was great to get through fast, but that's not what twists me the wrong way. On our way back, Canadian Customs searched our van for a good 15 minutes, albeit very politely and gently.

So I guess what I'm getting at, is that that US border control is not as good as it's made out to be and frankly, Homeland Security's criticism of foreign security systems is perhaps, if not hypocritical, than certainly premature. However, at the same time I don't believe that beefed up security will protect with a great certainty, a determined terrorist. Unfortunately, where there is a will, there will be a way.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Keep thinking your derranged radical left thoughts buddy.

:confused:
Nevermind... no point.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I know of some native american tribes that would disagree with that assessment.

I was merely being sarcastic.

I thought that the wink ;) suitably indicated sarcasm. I will try to be more explicit in the future.

You guys discount what america has contributed to the world with snide sarcastic remarks. No country has had more power, done more good with it for the entire world, and committed less evil with it than the United States. Check history.

it only takes one 'aww, shit!' to screw up a thousand 'atta boys', and it takes a thousand 'atta boys' to correct one 'aww shit!'.

Lt. Col Chevalier, USMC

Forum List

Back