Will voters be intimidated by Sandy?

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
As election day nears many Americans on the east coast are realizing that there is a very real possibility that they'll be shut out of the polls on election day as Tropical Storm Sandy makes landfall, predicted to do so at resurrected full hurricane force. My state is expected to be covered in at least 5 inches of rain, and preparations are now under way across the state by residents. For myself, I have some laundry to do and bags to pack. I'll be leaving the house on Sunday afternoon, and won't be home until Thursday. Not all people are as lucky as myself. I'll be able to stay at work with everything I could possibly need.

But a realization sets in as I zip up my garment bag with two suits inside. I'm not going to be able to vote on Tuesday, and neither will the vast majority of residents in the county. Hell, I don't know how we even expect to pull off an election on Tuesday. I'd be amazed if we even have enough officials for the county to get the polls open and running. We're predicted to experience a full 12 inches of rainfall. That usually translates into about 14-18 inches of flood water for us. Roads will be impassable, people will be stranded on newly formed islands. Other areas of the state might have even more flooding, even though they'll probably have half the rainfall, because they'll have to worry about storm surge too.

So I make the decision that I have no other decision but to make, and that's to go out today and get my voting done. I've settled on for whom, and what, I want to vote. And even if I hadn't, I don't have anymore time left. It's either now or never. And thanks to the Goddess that I have the opportunity for early voting today. I've never done early voting before. I've always voted on election day. I never had a particular need until now. And when the need came about, it was with far too little warning for me to be able to have voted earlier than this weekend. It makes me realize how fortunate I am that my state hasn't taken the silly, partisan moves to limit early voting in the final weekend before election day. I'm able to vote today, but won't be able to do it tomorrow. It just won't work out. Can't help wondering how many people might be in the reverse situation in FL, for example. How many people may have had sudden circumstances that are going to stop them from voting on Tuesday as intended, but who won't be able to do it today either. How many people would have been able to vote tomorrow, except for the fact that early voting was restricted to outlaw it tomorrow.

Laws can't predict Mother Nature. But I'm suddenly realizing how important early voting is. It's not just for the elderly. There are all kinds of circumstances that can catch a person rather off guard, that make the ability to vote early, especially in the days most immediately preceding an election, is a simple and common sense solution to help protect the most important right a free society can preserve.

I am unclear. Why are there efforts to pull back early voting?

And p[lease don’t go on some bullshit rant that it is about suppressing votes. If no one can answer the question, that speaks for itself. I am interested in the reasoning for these newer laws because they simply do not make any sense.

And p[lease don’t go on some bullshit rant that it is about suppressing votes. If no one can answer the question, that speaks for itself. I am interested in the reasoning for these newer laws because they simply do not make any sense.

Why don't you ask all the RW legislators why they are trying to restrict early voting.

• Banned

Just to be clear, you weren't taking my post to say imply that there are efforts to pull back early voting in my state, were you?

It's clear Sandy was created by the Republicans to suppress minority voting.... :thup:

Just to be clear, you weren't taking my post to say imply that there are efforts to pull back early voting in my state, were you?

No. You mentioned Florida though and a cursory look pulled up some interesting information. I was unaware of most of this and have not paid much attention tbh. I would like to hear some of the reasoning behind this because so far I have not found anything that would constitute this as a reasonable course of action.

In all honesty though, I really don’t care about what states this is going on in. What I am looking for is the purpose. I would inherently oppose any action in limiting the time frame that people can vote in unless there is a damn good reason. Each state does have a right to do as it pleases with its election law but your situation is not the only reason that such laws should be opposed in any state. I can think of many reasons that early voting might be necessary and I can’t think of a single one to cut the time fram down from 2 weeks.

No. You mentioned Florida though and a cursory look pulled up some interesting information. I was unaware of most of this and have not paid much attention tbh. I would like to hear some of the reasoning behind this because so far I have not found anything that would constitute this as a reasonable course of action.

In all honesty though, I really don’t care about what states this is going on in. What I am looking for is the purpose. I would inherently oppose any action in limiting the time frame that people can vote in unless there is a damn good reason. Each state does have a right to do as it pleases with its election law but your situation is not the only reason that such laws should be opposed in any state. I can think of many reasons that early voting might be necessary and I can’t think of a single one to cut the time fram down from 2 weeks.

The only even slightly plausible reason would be cost, but since Election Offices are open Monday through Friday, the cost is negligible...and worth it.

Restricting early voting DOES suppress turnout since not everyone can get to the polls on Election Day, especially poor and minority voters.

Well, the reasoning behind these moves has largely been absent. Those pushing the legislation through largely don't even give a reason, and when one is given the best excuse tends to be that it's being done to reduce costs. Unfortunately, without anything more, and absent a willingness to hear theories of "voter suppression," I can't really offer any explanation.

In Florida, early voting has now been prohibited on the Sunday before the election (tomorrow). This has been seen as an effort thwart the "Souls to Polls" initiative that Obama executed in 2008, which probably made the difference between him winning or losing that state. Short of no meaningful explanation being available, the natural conclusion is that the motivations are partisan in nature. The other efforts in other states have all been GOP led, all designed to effect similar partisan benefit based on the particular circumstances of those areas.

It's true that my particular situation is not the only reason to protect early voting. My point is that there are all kinds of things that can contribute to the need for many people, possibly things that develop relatively quickly very near the end of the campaign. Regardless of whether there are sinister motives for restricting the period or not, there's still no meaningful benefit that can come out of it.

In the past few hours, Sandy has already been upgraded back to full hurricane status. Polls open in about 60 minutes. Time for me to get a shower.

I've already voted
A couple of times

Depending on the storm - I may head out again, a couple of times.

Getting ready to go into work today for early voting. Early voting rocks!!!!

Slacker, I over a week ago, AND I had to show id!!!!

I voted on 10/10, Slacker. Didn't have to show a damn thing...since I had provided my identification at the time of Registration. Of course, they know me at my polling place (since I freaking work at an Election Office you dolt)

Getting ready to go into work today for early voting. Early voting rocks!!!!

I voted on 10/10, Slacker. Didn't have to show a damn thing...since I had provided my identification at the time of Registration. Of course, they know me at my polling place (since I freaking work at an Election Office you dolt)

So, how long have you been rigging elections, i mean, working at an election office?.....:eusa_whistle:

So, how long have you been rigging elections, i mean, working at an election office?.....:eusa_whistle:

Been working there since 2006. No rigging, just fair, transparent elections.

Hey, if you're in the area, you can come on by and watch us open Vote by Mail ballots. We welcome public observation. It's what you do when you're proud of your system.

Well, the reasoning behind these moves has largely been absent. Those pushing the legislation through largely don't even give a reason, and when one is given the best excuse tends to be that it's being done to reduce costs. Unfortunately, without anything more, and absent a willingness to hear theories of "voter suppression," I can't really offer any explanation.

That’s the point though. If no one can give a reason, all that is left is voter suppression. That is why I don’t want to start on that footing; it devolves the debate down to hackery levels.

So far, not one person has offered any alternatives though.

That’s the point though. If no one can give a reason, all that is left is voter suppression. That is why I don’t want to start on that footing; it devolves the debate down to hackery levels.

So far, not one person has offered any alternatives though.

If that is all you are left with, how is it hackery? Is it really so hard to fathom?

Forum List

Back