Will Toyota Get A Refund?

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Oops.

The Feds have now determined that the Toyota acceleration incidents were due to "pedal misapplication". In other words - the drivers were at fault.

Does this mean the gurmint will return the nearly $49M in fines paid by Toyota?

I doubt it. But they should.

A record $48.8 million in fines, nearly eight million vehicle recalls, hundreds of lawsuits and one humiliating set of Congressional grillings later, we finally learned Tuesday that Toyota cars can't magically accelerate on their own. So what happened? "Pedal misapplications."

Now there's a euphemism for the bureaucratic ages. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood couldn't bring himself to say "driver error" and he grew testy with a reporter who dared to put it so bluntly. But that's what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study, conducted over 10 months with the help of NASA engineers, concluded. Or to put it in plain English: Drivers, in moments of panic, sometimes mistake the accelerator for the brake.

That's an uncomfortable finding for politicians, plaintiffs attorneys and "safety advocates" who have tried for years to squeeze money out of big auto makers, including Audi, Ford, General Motors and others. That's why Clarence Ditlow, head of the Center for Auto Safety, dismissed Tuesday's report....

Review & Outlook: 'Pedal Misapplications' - WSJ.com

I allways love how operator error is always the last thing on the minds of the advocates.

I was yelling at the top of my voice that it was a shakedown by our corrupt gov't from the beginning.

I know several folks who work for Toyota, and they ALL said it was impossilbe (the stuck pedals).

We were all asking why not just turn the fukin car off.... no, its more lucritive to sue Toyota.

So were many of us. I remember discussing if Toyota was being targeted for the benefit of GM, especially given that there are quite a few companies with far worse safety records.

So were many of us. I remember discussing if Toyota was being targeted for the benefit of GM, especially given that there are quite a few companies with far worse safety records.

Yep.... alot of folks laughed at me.

Guess I get the last laugh.

I am a HUGE Toyota fan, and will be as long as they produce a quality car & truck.

Mine is working on 300,000 miles, and I have beat the fawk out of it.

Just look at my sig. The Tacoma is still on the road as my DD, and I love it!

My best car was my first one, a used Toyota Corolla which I bought when I was in grad school.

I paid cash for it and drove it for ten years with nary a bit of trouble. Not having car payments enabled me to save a ton of money. I like that.

My best car was my first one, a used Toyota Corolla which I bought when I was in grad school.

I paid cash for it and drove it for ten years with nary a bit of trouble. Not having car payments enabled me to save a ton of money. I like that.

:clap2:

Had a Corolla wagon, '82 I think. Very basic, rubber floor mats instead of carpet, 5 speed. Damn good car; one of the best I've ever owned. Had well over 200k on it when it was stolen.

Mine had over 200K when I gave it to a friend for her daughter. The daughter drove it for a few years and then sold it to her mechanic who wanted to fix it up for his own daughter. I bet the darned things is still on the road!

Mine had over 200K when I gave it to a friend for her daughter. The daughter drove it for a few years and then sold it to her mechanic who wanted to fix it up for his own daughter. I bet the darned things is still on the road!

Before that I had a Nissan 210... another awesome car.

The question is "what did he know and when did he know it"? It was the federal government that smeared Toyota. Did Obama order the DOT to find that Toyota cars were unsafe in order to surpress sales so that Chevy could rebound? Imagine (I know it's hard) that Woodward & Bernstein were conservatives and imagine that they were still around today. Whoops, they are aren't they? A hard hitting ruthless team of investigative reporters would have Obama hitchhiking back to Chicago before you could spell Nixon.

The Big Government types always have to go for the overkill.

Like, somebody has the flu so let's make 500 bazillion doses (most of which get thrown out because they've expired).

A minority of the population temporarily doesn't have health insurance, so let's pass a 2,700 page bill which gives the feds control of the health care system.

A whacko mental case shoots some people, so let's take the guns away from the millions of lawful, registered gun owners who've never harmed anyone.

And stuff like that.

Follow the money. During the witch hunt of Toyota during the Cash for Clunkers period, I bet nobody heard about the Ford Motors recall for a steering problem. It was all about buying American, and primarily buying Government Motors. So they took on the largest seller, hmmmm.

Good catch. And sadly, a lot of good vehicles with years of useful life were destroyed due to Cash For Clunkers. And despite the smear job, 3 of the top 10 purchases were Toyotas:

The Ten Most Traded-In Vehicles (vehicle's EPA mileage)
1. 1998 Ford Explorer (14-17 mpg)
2. 1997 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
3. 1996 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
4. 1999 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee
6. Jeep Cherokee
7. 1995 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)
8. 1994 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)
9. 1997 Ford Windstar (18 mpg)
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan (16-18 mpg)

The Ten Most Purchased Vehicles (vehicle's EPA mileage)
1. Ford Focus (27-28 mpg)
2. Honda Civic (24-42 mpg)
3. Toyota Corolla (25-30 mpg)
4. Toyota Prius (46 mpg)
5. Ford Escape (20-32 mpg)
6. Toyota Camry (23-34 mpg)
7. Dodge Caliber (22-27 mpg)
8. Hyundai Elantra (26-28 mpg)
9. Honda Fit (29-31 mpg)
10. Chevy Cobalt (25-30 mpg)

The Most Popular Cash for Clunkers Vehicles | Fast Company

What the social engineers fail to realize is that a significant amount of the total lifetime energy equation for a vehicle consists of fuel used in the manufacturing and distribution processes. Trashing a vehicle when it still has years of useful life is a huge waste of energy.

The Goverment never apologizes for "regulatory misapplication".

Forum List

Back