Will Tiger contend at the Masters this week?

Mr. Woods had two separate and distinct catastrophe's at almost the same time - one self-inflicted and one sort-of self-inflicted.

On the personal level, he fucked up his marriage and his commercial persona through sexual and other misdeeds. He was no victim on that side.

On the golf side, he allowed himself to be distracted for a year or so (can't blame him for that), and then began to suffer injuries related to over-work and over-conditioning. Golfers ARE NOT, AND DO NOT NEED TO BE athletes. Tiger forgot that, and has tried for a long time to be an athlete, with running, weight training, hyper-stretching, and so on. In maintaining that rigorous athletic regimen, he fucked up his knee and his back, which compromised his swing in several ways, and over multiple golf-years.

Now through several surgeries and extensive rehab, he is physically ready to start golfing seriously now.

But the reason why he is a relative "favorite" this week (roughly one-in 8 chance of winning, as of this morning), is his mental toughness, which is presumably the same as before all the brouhaha. Tiger is unique in a way that only a golfer can understand. Tiger is the only golfer ever who consistently won tournaments when he was leading on Sunday morning. Other "greats," mainly Palmer were famous for winning, and for coming from behind on Sunday, but for every other "great" in the history of the game, if they were leading on Sunday morning, they only won the tournament about half the time. They would go into "protect" mode on Sunday, shoot a 73, and hope nobody caught up with them. Not so with Tiger.

Also, Augusta National is a very challenging course because of the few level areas on the fairways. 90% of fairway shots at Augusta are either uphill, downhill, or a sidehill lie, and precise approach shots are mandatory due to diabolical hole placements on the green, especially on Sunday.

Anything can happen in four days of golf. Tiger (or anyone else) can play himself out of contention with a bad round on Thursday or Friday, or be right up there with the leaders, and the same can be said of 15 others this year. But the betting odds are consistent with reality right now. There are only three or four people with as good a chance of winning as Tiger.

It will be great for TV ratings if Tiger is in contention on the weekend, and all the golfers want that, so he will have a lot of intangible support from on and off the golf course.
I think Tiger bulked up too much which led to back problems. His physical strength may have helped his drive when he was younger, but it caught up with him

I doubt that his wife divorcing him destroyed his game. Many, many, many athletes cheated on their wives

Tiger wasn’t the first, won’t be the last
It was the combination of a lot of things. He burned out. Lost the eye of the tiger. No pun intended.
The divorce definitely affected him mentally. His game dropped off a cliff after that even before the injuries mounted up. Then all the surgeries he's had it's a miracle he's playing at all.

Ruh Roh Jordan Speith figured out how to put again. Wow 5 birdies in a row on those greens? Unreal.
Sergio Garcia looked like Roy McAvoy in Tin Cup

5 balls in the water on the 15th hole

Last edited:
Mr. Woods had two separate and distinct catastrophe's at almost the same time - one self-inflicted and one sort-of self-inflicted.

On the personal level, he fucked up his marriage and his commercial persona through sexual and other misdeeds. He was no victim on that side.

On the golf side, he allowed himself to be distracted for a year or so (can't blame him for that), and then began to suffer injuries related to over-work and over-conditioning. Golfers ARE NOT, AND DO NOT NEED TO BE athletes. Tiger forgot that, and has tried for a long time to be an athlete, with running, weight training, hyper-stretching, and so on. In maintaining that rigorous athletic regimen, he fucked up his knee and his back, which compromised his swing in several ways, and over multiple golf-years.

Now through several surgeries and extensive rehab, he is physically ready to start golfing seriously now.

But the reason why he is a relative "favorite" this week (roughly one-in 8 chance of winning, as of this morning), is his mental toughness, which is presumably the same as before all the brouhaha. Tiger is unique in a way that only a golfer can understand. Tiger is the only golfer ever who consistently won tournaments when he was leading on Sunday morning. Other "greats," mainly Palmer were famous for winning, and for coming from behind on Sunday, but for every other "great" in the history of the game, if they were leading on Sunday morning, they only won the tournament about half the time. They would go into "protect" mode on Sunday, shoot a 73, and hope nobody caught up with them. Not so with Tiger.

Also, Augusta National is a very challenging course because of the few level areas on the fairways. 90% of fairway shots at Augusta are either uphill, downhill, or a sidehill lie, and precise approach shots are mandatory due to diabolical hole placements on the green, especially on Sunday.

Anything can happen in four days of golf. Tiger (or anyone else) can play himself out of contention with a bad round on Thursday or Friday, or be right up there with the leaders, and the same can be said of 15 others this year. But the betting odds are consistent with reality right now. There are only three or four people with as good a chance of winning as Tiger.

It will be great for TV ratings if Tiger is in contention on the weekend, and all the golfers want that, so he will have a lot of intangible support from on and off the golf course.
I think Tiger bulked up too much which led to back problems. His physical strength may have helped his drive when he was younger, but it caught up with him

I doubt that his wife divorcing him destroyed his game. Many, many, many athletes cheated on their wives

Tiger wasn’t the first, won’t be the last
It was the combination of a lot of things. He burned out. Lost the eye of the tiger. No pun intended.
The divorce definitely affected him mentally. His game dropped off a cliff after that even before the injuries mounted up. Then all the surgeries he's had it's a miracle he's playing at all.
And if he stopped living right in the end of his marriage then that could be why he got hurt.

Or she put a Swedish curse on him

He will shit the bed.

Tigger Woods shit the bed at the Masters. He barely made the cut and is now 18 strokes behind the leader. :rofl:

He'll probably never win another PGA tournament.
Shut up! He could possibly do it again. Or are you saying you see he has lost what made him good? Because I didn’t watch any of it this year. Watching movies and it’s Greek Easter weekend

Will he at least play in every major this year? That’s all I ask. He makes it interesting. Even if he fails he being in it makes me care.

He will shit the bed.

Tigger Woods shit the bed at the Masters. He barely made the cut and is now 18 strokes behind the leader. :rofl:

Shut up! He could possibly do it again. Or are you saying you see he has lost what made him good? Because I didn’t watch any of it this year. Watching movies and it’s Greek Easter weekend

Will he at least play in every major this year? That’s all I ask. He makes it interesting. Even if he fails he being in it makes me care.

He's not the player he was. He may be a contender on the Senior tour......maybe....:rofl:

He will shit the bed.

He's not the player he was. He may be a contender on the Senior tour......maybe....:rofl:
I want him to win one more so he can say fu to you haters. If he wins one more major mission accomplished.

He will shit the bed.

He has still been playing well

Just needs to string together a few good rounds
They say In the past he drove the ball so much farther that it saved him a stroke on par 5s and 4s. They say he’s lost that. Is that true?

Then he’s human and even the best can only hope to win one more major. With so much competition who would be so arrogant to honestly believe they’re going to win multiple majors.

If I won one major I would only hope to win one more before I retire. And every one I win I would consider myself a very very lucky person.

Name the golfers you guarantee will win two majors in the next 5 years

He will shit the bed.

I want him to win one more so he can say fu to you haters. If he wins one more major mission accomplished.

IMHO - The real "hater" is facing him everyday, whenever he looks in the mirror.

He screwed himself over, all by his lonesome. Nobody forced him to do what he did. Apparently he has decided he is still undeserving of redemption.

If he pulled off a win everyone would be behind him, me included.

Don't bet on it happening though.....

:thup:

He will shit the bed.

IMHO - The real "hater" is facing him everyday, whenever he looks in the mirror.

He screwed himself over, all by his lonesome. Nobody forced him to do what he did. Apparently he has decided he is still undeserving of redemption.

If he pulled off a win everyone would be behind him, me included.

Don't bet on it happening though.....

:thup:
I certainly don’t believe he’s happy. I don’t look at him the same. I sort of feel sorry for him although I do hate stories about people who have it all but aren’t happy or throw it away.

Sort of reminds me of mike tyson

Forum List

Back