Will The Republicans need to change their core values to be competitive in the future

jschuck12001

Sep 5, 2008
Florida
Since white americans only make up about 60% of the population now and the republican base(we know who they are and what they believe) makes up about 28% of the electorate will Republicans need to become more liberal to win future elections?

I have heard repeatedly that they need to get back to core values, and be willing to compromise.

Sounds right to me. Don't know if the evangelicals will go for compromise or not. I expect a good number will as they have in the past.

Since white americans only make up about 60% of the population now and the republican base(we know who they are and what they believe) makes up about 28% of the electorate will Republicans need to become more liberal to win future elections?

No. They need to run more effective campaigns.

No, just court the ultra CONSERVATIVE Hispanic population. Based on the core value system of Hispanic culture, they should be OVERWHELMINGLY Republican. As a rule Hispanics are staunchly pro-life, anti-euthansia, anti-stemcell research, anti-gay rights, pro military and deeply religious. Every one of those runs counter to core Democrat party planks. At some point they will figure that out and be a strong Republican voting block.

Republicans need to get back to their basic core values....essentially....Hispanic cultural values....

If they plan on winning elections,yes!

No. They need to run more effective campaigns.

That might not do it, look, White Caucasians make up the republican base and in another 10 years Caucasians will be the minority. How are the Republicans going to cross over to people of color to secure the presidency. Also will the conservatives vote for a republican that is lenient on immigration and maybe says early abortion is ok. Their situation seems very complicated going forward.

Republicans have already embraced big government from the Democrats. I hope they don't embrace anything else.

That might not do it, look, White Caucasians make up the republican base and in another 10 years Caucasians will be the minority. How are the Republicans going to cross over to people of color to secure the presidency. Also will the conservatives vote for a republican that is lenient on immigration and maybe says early abortion is ok. Their situation seems very complicated going forward.

repubs need to cater to the hispanic vote. Some of their success will depend on how far left Obama will be.

Yes. They need to get rid of the neoconservatives and become conservative again. This silly infatuation with Obama will fade, but conservativism is what most Americans embrace. The sooner the GOP realizes this, the better off the country will be.

repubs need to cater to the hispanic vote. Some of their success will depend on how far left Obama will be.

Thats fine but I think young Hispanics that are now going to college and becoming professionals will tend to become more ideological, just like the under 30 vote has done in this election.

Thats fine but I think young Hispanics that are now going to college and becoming professionals will tend to become more ideological, just like the under 30 vote has done in this election.

If they move left, they will lose the base.

No, just court the ultra CONSERVATIVE Hispanic population. Based on the core value system of Hispanic culture, they should be OVERWHELMINGLY Republican. As a rule Hispanics are staunchly pro-life, anti-euthansia, anti-stemcell research, anti-gay rights, pro military and deeply religious. Every one of those runs counter to core Democrat party planks. At some point they will figure that out and be a strong Republican voting block.

Republicans need to get back to their basic core values....essentially....Hispanic cultural values....

That depends. Cubans are notoriously conservative because of Castro's brand of communism. South Americans tend to be more Democratic because of the numerous coups and militaristic economic "reforms" that are typically associated with right-wing dictators who were empowered by Republican Presidents (see Pinoche'). The overwhelming majority of migrating Nicaraguans are also Democratic because of Samoza's reign and Reagan's sponsorship of the Contras, who were by all accounts terrorists. Panama is a majority center-left and Mexico is an even left-right split. Don't make assumptions on behalf of the Latin people, they arrive here with their own political views.

Republicans have no need to change their core values to be competitive. What they do need to do is to retake defining themselves. For too long they've allowed Democrats and a Democrat controlled press to pass the opposition's definition of what a Republican is to the average voter. The Democrats have defined Republicans in the image of the most extreme fringe and Republicans made the mistake of thinking that average people would know better.

Republicans have no need to change their core values to be competitive. What they do need to do is to retake defining themselves. For too long they've allowed Democrats and a Democrat controlled press to pass the opposition's definition of what a Republican is to the average voter. The Democrats have defined Republicans in the image of the most extreme fringe and Republicans made the mistake of thinking that average people would know better.

The outgoing administration is to blame for the party's image. Because of the small but masterful group that's been running the party since Reagan, the image is one of corruption. The radical fundamentalist perception, which is also a problem, is a by-product of this groups sucessful attempts at rallying a powerful base through the use of fear. The party needs to rid itself of the corporatist, neocon power base that's stolen taxpayer's money and start from scratch. When your Vice President and Secretary of Defense refuse to cut loose of their corporate ties and get rich on taxpayer's money through defense and security contracts.... My God, It's a level and brand of corruption we've never seen. It's gonna hurt even more as this stuff becomes mainstream knowledge.

The outgoing administration is to blame for the party's image. Because of the small but masterful group that's been running the party since Reagan, the image is one of corruption. The radical fundamentalist perception, which is also a problem, is a by-product of this groups sucessful attempts at rallying a powerful base through the use of fear. The party needs to rid itself of the corporatist, neocon power base that's stolen taxpayer's money and start from scratch. When your Vice President and Secretary of Defense refuse to cut loose of their corporate ties and get rich on taxpayer's money through defense and security contracts.... My God, It's a level and brand of corruption we've never seen. It's gonna hurt even more as this stuff becomes mainstream knowledge.

It never ceases to amaze me that the liberals can pretend that they don't have corporatations and special interests groups that they suck up to. Do they actually believe that "we stand for the common man" shit ?

As I said.. You don't let the opposition define you. I also should have said that you don't give your opposition a voice in trying to decide what your problems are. That IMO has been a problem. Our so called Republican leadership has been trying to correct it's image in response to media and Democrat criticism instead of listening to the party's base. As to corruption, it's certainly not as if Republicans have a lock on crooked politicians. Bill Clinton purchasing a senate seat for Hillary ala pardons comes to mind. We really don't need to start the tit for tat on corruption tho, because we'd be here for three days. I really think the "radical fundamentalist perception" is far more of a problem than the corruption label you'd like to apply.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me that the liberals can pretend that they don't have corporatations and special interests groups that they suck up to. Do they actually believe that "we stand for the common man" shit ?

Uh, when you have cabinet members holding equity shares in companies that profit from war and disaster, it's a conflict of interests and something that is unprecedented. I'm not a liberal, just someone who is pissed as hell that administration officials actually laundered our money through contracted corporations and walked away with hundreds of personal millions. Why you aren't outraged at these guys is beyond me. They used your party to pull this shit off. Eisenhower warned of this happening and it finally did. There have always been war profiteers but and that's fine. There are and will always be special interest groups, I mean it's the only reason certain things are even mentioned... But for the profiteers to be cabinet members. You should wake up. Believe me, this has driven MANY supporters out of the party and Colin Powell is one of those guys. He saw this happening and is outraged.

As I said.. You don't let the opposition define you. I also should have said that you don't give your opposition a voice in trying to decide what your problems are. That IMO has been a problem. Our so called Republican leadership has been trying to correct it's image in response to media and Democrat criticism instead of listening to the party's base. As to corruption, it's certainly not as if Republicans have a lock on crooked politicians. Bill Clinton purchasing a senate seat for Hillary ala pardons comes to mind. We really don't need to start the tit for tat on corruption tho, because we'd be here for three days. I really think the "radical fundamentalist perception" is far more of a problem than the corruption label you'd like to apply.

I'll take a step further and accuse the Democrats AND the Republicans for not even knowing who the base of America is.

Most all politicians are corrupt. Let's get that straight right now. The two ruling parties are both full of corruption, no doubt....But what Cheney, Rummy and others finally pulled off is masterful to the tune of hundreds of billions. They created new markets. In a few months "homeland security" became an industry bigger than hollywood and the music biz...and it wouldn't be such a big deal if our own elected and appointed officials weren't profiting from it. 9/11 made these guys filthy rich men. How is that not a problem? Iraq has done the same, Why wouldn't you be infuriated> All you have to do is follow the money and large chunks of it lead right back to the administration.

Forum List

Back