Will the GOP acknowledge reality?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wihosa, Jan 25, 2013.

1. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    We've been through thirty years of the "conservative era" , the follow on to the "Reagan Revolution". While there have been many Dem enablers make no mistake, the GOP has set the agenda since 1980.

This agenda includes many tenants of faith for the rank and file such as "tax cuts are always good, tax increases are always bad". Another is that the military budget must always increase or we will be weaker.

You might think that the Dems also have there own ideological tenants and you'd be right. The difference is that I used the word faith deliberately when referring to the GOP membership. The GOP is populated with people who self describe as "people of faith". Faith is something that each of us must reckon with on our own terms, but it is a poor way to make public policy. Don't forget that not all Americans are people of faith. For agnostics like myself it is very frustrating to see public policy based on what from my perspective is nothing more than myth.

Surely we can agree that solutions to our problems should be based on fact alone. For instance we can agree to the obvious; that if we cut taxes we will decrease revenue for the government. Tax cuts don't pay for themselves and they never have. Reagan and GW Bush both had tax cuts and big deficits, Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget, that is the record, that is the fact.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Crackerjaxon

Crackerjaxon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    How about ending the constant wars, bringing our troops home, eliminating duplicate services in government and putting a moratorium on new spending?

Think that might work?

Nah, it'd throw most democrats out of work.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Will the progressives enter reality?

4. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,358
    I could get behind something like that :clap2:

5. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Totally there with you on ending the wars which is another GOP led decision made on faith that failed.
    But, Make no investments in the future? Seems very short sighted. Like a family balancing their budget by forgoing Johnny's braces. Sure it saved money but Johnny paid for the rest of his life.

6. Google

Google Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +808
    Leftists have morphed their political philosophies into a religion of its own, and are every bit as zealous as any right wing Christian. Abortion has become a sacred sacrament to the left, demanding the 'right' to terminate a pregnancy all the way up to nine months. Global warming, err climate change rather is the apocalypse that will come for our sins against their deity--exploiting guilt more masterfully than the Catholic Church has done in centuries. Your very existence is killing the planet.

7. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Not everyone on the left has a science based belief system, but the right is predominated by those with a "faith"based belief system. Science based believers who display religious like fervor at least have facts on their side, unlike faith based believers who have only myth.

8. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0i4Sx1edJE]Global Warming and George Bush - YouTube[/ame]​

9. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    Human caused climate change is not based on facts; it's based on biased and/or doctored theory and hysteria.

10. Papawx3

Papawx3 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I don't agree with that at all. In fact, I disagree with you entirely.