Will the GOP acknowledge reality?

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
We've been through thirty years of the "conservative era" , the follow on to the "Reagan Revolution". While there have been many Dem enablers make no mistake, the GOP has set the agenda since 1980.

This agenda includes many tenants of faith for the rank and file such as "tax cuts are always good, tax increases are always bad". Another is that the military budget must always increase or we will be weaker.

You might think that the Dems also have there own ideological tenants and you'd be right. The difference is that I used the word faith deliberately when referring to the GOP membership. The GOP is populated with people who self describe as "people of faith". Faith is something that each of us must reckon with on our own terms, but it is a poor way to make public policy. Don't forget that not all Americans are people of faith. For agnostics like myself it is very frustrating to see public policy based on what from my perspective is nothing more than myth.

Surely we can agree that solutions to our problems should be based on fact alone. For instance we can agree to the obvious; that if we cut taxes we will decrease revenue for the government. Tax cuts don't pay for themselves and they never have. Reagan and GW Bush both had tax cuts and big deficits, Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget, that is the record, that is the fact.

How about ending the constant wars, bringing our troops home, eliminating duplicate services in government and putting a moratorium on new spending?

Think that might work?

Nah, it'd throw most democrats out of work.

Totally there with you on ending the wars which is another GOP led decision made on faith that failed.
But, Make no investments in the future? Seems very short sighted. Like a family balancing their budget by forgoing Johnny's braces. Sure it saved money but Johnny paid for the rest of his life.

Leftists have morphed their political philosophies into a religion of its own, and are every bit as zealous as any right wing Christian. Abortion has become a sacred sacrament to the left, demanding the 'right' to terminate a pregnancy all the way up to nine months. Global warming, err climate change rather is the apocalypse that will come for our sins against their deity--exploiting guilt more masterfully than the Catholic Church has done in centuries. Your very existence is killing the planet.

Not everyone on the left has a science based belief system, but the right is predominated by those with a "faith"based belief system. Science based believers who display religious like fervor at least have facts on their side, unlike faith based believers who have only myth.

Not everyone on the left has a science based belief system, but the right is predominated by those with a "faith"based belief system. Science based believers who display religious like fervor at least have facts on their side, unlike faith based believers who have only myth.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0i4Sx1edJE]Global Warming and George Bush - YouTube[/ame]​

Human caused climate change is not based on facts; it's based on biased and/or doctored theory and hysteria.

We've been through thirty years of the "conservative era" , the follow on to the "Reagan Revolution". While there have been many Dem enablers make no mistake, the GOP has set the agenda since 1980.

Surely we can agree that solutions to our problems should be based on fact alone. For instance we can agree to the obvious; that if we cut taxes we will decrease revenue for the government.Tax cuts don't pay for themselves and they never have. Reagan and GW Bush both had tax cuts and big deficits, Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget, that is the record, that is the fact.

I don't agree with that at all. In fact, I disagree with you entirely.

Human caused climate change is not based on facts; it's based on biased and/or doctored theory and hysteria.

Really? And your statement is based on what? Why would scientists "doctor" a theory? 98%of climate scientists agree, those that disagree are funded by the fossil fuel industries. The truth is that you believe there is a conspiracy by climatologists because you want to believe there is a conspiracy. You believe it on faith.

Surely we can agree that solutions to our problems should be based on fact alone. For instance we can agree to the obvious; that if we cut taxes we will decrease revenue for the government.Tax cuts don't pay for themselves and they never have. Reagan and GW Bush both had tax cuts and big deficits, Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget, that is the record, that is the fact.

I don't agree with that at all. In fact, I disagree with you entirely.

Ok, so make an argument based on fact, all you have done so far is contradict.

Totally there with you on ending the wars which is another GOP led decision made on faith that failed.
But, Make no investments in the future? Seems very short sighted. Like a family balancing their budget by forgoing Johnny's braces. Sure it saved money but Johnny paid for the rest of his life.

The government is not our family. It's not our mother. It's not our father. I know this may come as a shock to you, but it's only Johnny's family who is responsible for Johnny's braces. The last thing we need are more laws and government programs.

Oh, and stop blaming the GOP for the wars. The neocons are democrats who bolted during the Viet Nam war because they never met a war they didn't like. It's time democrats did something beside point their fingers at Bush like three-year-olds and say "He did it."

The government is not our family. It's not our mother. It's not our father. I know this may come as a shock to you, but it's only Johnny's family who is responsible for Johnny's braces. The last thing we need are more laws and government programs.

Oh, and stop blaming the GOP for the wars. The neocons are democrats who bolted during the Viet Nam war because they never met a war they didn't like. It's time democrats did something beside point their fingers at Bush like three-year-olds and say "He did it."

I'll stop blaming the GOP when they finally accept responsibility for their failures. The facts are that Bush's tax cuts and wars blew up the deficit, achieved nothing and crashed the economy. Only myth believers can believe that Bush was anything but a failure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0i4Sx1edJE"]Global Warming and George Bush - YouTube[/ame]​

I read Hansen's brilliant book "Storms of my Grandchildren" last year. I've read 4 books on climate change, and it was head and shoulders above the others for several reasons. It's WELL worth the time it takes to read it.

what a load of crap.....you lefties are against religion because it has morals....

A few thousand years ago the entire world was covered in ice. You know, the Ice Age.

Then it all melted away without SUV's, capitalistic factories spewing out carbon dioxide, without cows farting, without Democrats, lead by Al Gore, spoiling the atmosphere by breathing. All the ice was gone!

Remember the fear mongers in the seventies? We all will freeze, there will be no way to raise crops, humanity will starve and the Earth will not be able sustain over population of more than 4 billion.

Are you laughing yet?

The academic pin heads must publish or they will perish. If they don't produce some crap that claims to prove last year's "scientific" study wrong, they will lose their taxpayer-funded grant, so they rush ahead and produce a "study" "proving" last year's "scientific" study wrong. And total idiots get Nobel Prize for producing a movie containing nothing but crap.

Yesterday it was global cooling, tomorrow it will be global warming. Yesterday butter was bad, tomorrow it will be good. Yesterday sugar was bad tomorrow it will be good.

Enjoy your life, ignore the goody-goody two shoes, eat beef and drive the car you want.

With Obama in the White House you may not be able to do for much longer.

I'll stop blaming the GOP when they finally accept responsibility for their failures. The facts are that Bush's tax cuts and wars blew up the deficit, achieved nothing and crashed the economy. Only myth believers can believe that Bush was anything but a failure.

Bush's tax cuts postponed the recession and housing market collapse in 2001, Clinton's executive order and unleashing of the justice department, in 1994, to prosecute banks for maintaining solid mortgage underwriting criteria, red line area's within low income area's, expansion of CRA (community reinvestment act) power, coupled with the need to unload marginal high risk mortgage backed securities on the shoulders of the private sector combined to create the perfect storm. So blame whom ever you may but be careful, understand the forces that combined in the collapse of the financial markets and accept that it took years develop the financial tsunami, not 8 years.

Last edited:

This agenda includes many tenants of faith for the rank and file such as "tax cuts are always good, tax increases are always bad". Another is that the military budget must always increase or we will be weaker.

You might think that the Dems also have there own ideological tenants and you'd be right. The difference is that I used the word faith deliberately when referring to the GOP membership. The GOP is populated with people who self describe as "people of faith". Faith is something that each of us must reckon with on our own terms, but it is a poor way to make public policy. Don't forget that not all Americans are people of faith. For agnostics like myself it is very frustrating to see public policy based on what from my perspective is nothing more than myth.

Surely we can agree that solutions to our problems should be based on fact alone. For instance we can agree to the obvious; that if we cut taxes we will decrease revenue for the government. Tax cuts don't pay for themselves and they never have. Reagan and GW Bush both had tax cuts and big deficits, Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget, that is the record, that is the fact.

God help the people who think the Hussein agenda is "reality".

Really? And your statement is based on what? Why would scientists "doctor" a theory? 98%of climate scientists agree, those that disagree are funded by the fossil fuel industries. The truth is that you believe there is a conspiracy by climatologists because you want to believe there is a conspiracy. You believe it on faith.

98% of 'climate' scientists funded by liberals agree with Al Gore.....? :rolleyes:

and what about other scientists who have input....?

and please explain WHY the world heated and cooled in the past even more dramatically than today BEFORE man-made emissions were even invented.....?

and what does "faith" have to do with that.....?

Forum List

Back