Will the free market always devolve into an oligarchy?

Late2TheParty

Classical Liberal
Mar 15, 2011
As the top players of the moment seek government protection to stay on top?

One of the fundamental truths about communism is that it fails in practice because it doesn't take into account basic human nature. I agree here. But what does the straight capitalist system set-up make the same mistake of failing to address this?

(As this happened numerous times in US history, I don't feel compelled to provide examples as they are easy to come by on any level of government.)

Well it's not a free market if the government is picking winners and losers, is it?

You're correct. I should have said "Capitalist" in the title.

However, we're taught "free market" in school as if that's how the USA runs and yet on every level of government I see the government doing just that: picking winners and losers.

Last edited:
All governments grow, that's human nature too. I think that if you were to create, in the country's constitution, a separation of market and state, A free market would survive. Another situation where the free market worked well was Hong Kong before 1999

Well it's not a free market if the government is picking winners and losers, is it?

You're correct. I should have said "Capitalist" in the title.

However, we're taught "free market" in school and on every level of government I see the government doing just that: picking winners and losers.

No, I don't think capitalism in the title would have made any more sense. To have capitalism one must have free markets. The title should have been something like, "Will government always devolve into an oligarchy?" To that I would answer yes.

No.

Technology is a great equalizer.

Look at the largest 50 companies 50 years ago and compare those to the largest 50 today. There are very few companies on both lists.

Forum List

Back