Will Social Security Be There For Your Retirement?

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
The news in the Social Security Trustees’ annual report released Monday wasn’t good—the Trustees now project that the old age and disability trust funds combined will be unable to pay full benefits in 2033, three years sooner than projected in last year’s report. That’s in 21 years, the shortest period to trust fund “exhaustion” since before the last fix to Social Security’s finances in 1983. The grimmer outlook is due largely to changes in the Trustees’ economic assumptions–for example, they’re now projecting lower wage growth and higher unemployment–as well as a higher than predicted 3.6% cost of living increase for beneficiaries in 2012.

So will Social Security suddenly stop appearing in recipients’ bank accounts come 2033? (I can’t ask whether “the check will stop arriving in the mail?” since the Social Security Administration plans to phase out all paper checks by March 1, 2013 and as for the U.S. Postal Service come 2033, who knows?) Nope. As Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue pointed out at a press briefing today, “exhaustion is an actuarial term of art and it does not mean there will be no money left to pay any benefits. Come 2033, if Congress does nothing, there will be sufficient assets to pay 75% of the benefits.’’ In other words, while the money the country has supposedly been squirreling away in imaginary trust funds will have run out, the taxes coming in should still be enough to pay 75% of promised retirement benefits. To pay 100% of benefits, the combined employer-employee tax rate would have to be raised in 2033 from 12.4% to 16.7%. If the tax were raised now, an increase to 15.1% would fund Social Security’s promises for the next 75 years.

In truth, the taxes coming in aren’t quite covering benefits now, even if you ignore the 2% temporary cut in the employee payroll tax. (In Washington’s magical accounting, the money that isn’t going into the trust funds because of the payroll tax cut is being replaced from Uncle Sam’s deep-in-the-red general fund.) Without the 2% payroll cut, Social Security tax revenue in 2011 came to $691 billion, which was $45 billion shy of Social Security’s expenses of $736 billion. But when you count $111 billion in interest earnings that are imputed to the Social Security trust funds, the program is still operating in the black and the combined trust funds are still growing.

Okay, enough make believe accounting. The real question is whether that 25% shortfall would translate into a 25% benefit cut for everyone? Highly unlikely. As public trustee Charles Blauhous pointed out, politicians on both sides of the aisle have shown no stomach for cutting Social Security for the already retired or for the low income elderly.

Read more Will Social Security Be There For Your Retirement? - Forbes

Think of all the people that died young, to early to collect S.S. all that money. look at statistic how many of us make it to 62..

Also my Wife's mother worked until she was 79 years old then passed away never retired. Think of all the people that never retired then passed, what happened to all this money..

Last edited:
Think of all the people that died young, to early to collect S.S. all that money. look at statistic how many of us make it to 62..
If your masters have their way you'll need to be 70 to collect and their agroterrorist posse, Monsanto, will see to it you don't make it that long.

More likely the lack of a national social security program spurs Asians to save for retirement...
:eusa_eh:
Why speaking English can make you poor when you retire
22 February 2013 - Could the language we speak skew our financial decision-making, and does the fact that you're reading this in English make you less likely than a Mandarin speaker to save for your old age?
It is a controversial theory which has been given some weight by new findings from a Yale University behavioural economist, Keith Chen. Prof Chen says his research proves that the grammar of the language we speak affects both our finances and our health. Bluntly, he says, if you speak English you are likely to save less for your old age, smoke more and get less exercise than if you speak a language like Mandarin, Yoruba or Malay.

_65998940_100424217.jpg

Not all languages require the use of a future tense

Future-speak

Prof Chen divides the world's languages into two groups, depending on how they treat the concept of time. Strong future-time reference languages (strong FTR) require their speakers to use a different tense when speaking of the future. Weak future-time reference (weak FTR) languages do not. "If I wanted to explain to an English-speaking colleague why I can't attend a meeting later today, I could not say 'I go to a seminar', English grammar would oblige me to say 'I will go, am going, or have to go to a seminar'. "If, on the other hand, I were speaking Mandarin, it would be quite natural for me to omit any marker of future time and say 'I go listen seminar' since the context leaves little room for misunderstanding," says Prof Chen. Even within European languages there are clear grammatical differences in the way they treat future events, he says. "In English you have to say 'it will rain tomorrow' while in German you can say 'morgen regnet es' - it rains tomorrow."

Disassociating the future

Speakers of languages which only use the present tense when dealing with the future are likely to save more money than those who speak languages which require the use a future tense, he argues. So how does a mere difference in grammar cause people to save less for their retirement? "The act of savings is fundamentally about understanding that your future self - the person you're saving for - is in some sense equivalent to your present self," Prof Chen told the BBC's Business Daily. "If your language separates the future and the present in its grammar that seems to lead you to slightly disassociate the future from the present every time you speak. "That effectively makes it harder for you to save." Even more controversial, is Prof Chen's assertion that language differences underpin wider differences in people's behaviour.

More BBC News - Why speaking English can make you poor when you retire

Once again -- why are you putting these threads in "Media"?

None of these have anything to do with media.

See? Algore said he was gonna' put all that money in a "lock box". You had your chance people.

Forum List

Back