Will Republicans try to destroy our school system just to prove it's no good?

LOL The dems are destroying public education. That's a fact, jack
How, by defunding it?

You can't have no facts to back something up and then say it's a fact. If you were educated, you would know that.

This is when they say something silly like "You cant throw money at a problem and expect it fixed" as if someone is going to just throw wads of cash in a school and watch the school morph into School-a-tron or something
So their answer is to defund it. That'l do the trick.

Your answer is to keep throwing good money at something that isn't working.

Her brain malfunctioned trying to figure out how these terrible students are getting into the best schools.

Nearly 10%? OMG you're right, that proves that college is a waste. Destroy it to show us its not worth it! That'll help
Strawman much?

Also, borrowing ShootSpeeder's post--larger point than just Judge Judy:

ACTA Press Release: College Graduates Don't Know Basic Facts About the Constitution | ACTA

September 8, 2015 — The American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) today released a survey that shows how little college graduates and the general public know about the Constitution.

According to the study, nearly 10% of college graduates think Judith Sheindlin — commonly known as Judge Judy — is on the Supreme Court; one-third of college graduates can’t identify the Bill of Rights as a name given to a group of Constitutional amendments; and 32% believe that Representative John Boehner is the current president of the U.S. Senate. Shockingly, 46% of college grads don’t know the election cycle — six years for senators, two years for representatives. Turning to the general population, the report finds that over half (54%) of those surveyed cannot identify the Bill of Rights accurately, and over 1 in 10 (11%) of those ages 25–34 believe that the Constitution must be reauthorized every four years.

Y'all kinda picked a bad day to make silly kneejerk digs at Steph & Sass, huh?

Last edited:
Once again, from Universities ranked world wide, the US has four out of the top five and ten out of the top 20.

7 Chinese mainland universities in QS world's top 200 rankings - Xinhua | English.news.cn

You have dropout Scott Walker cutting 300 million from college level education and in Texas, they cut billions from education.

Remember, Republicans say government doesn't work and then makes sure it doesn't. Now they say our schools don't work and college students only drink and party. Will they try to bring down our educational system to prove it doesn't work the same way they try to bring down government?
Are you complaining about our universities or the government school system for children? There is a difference, you know. The one is largely privately run and turns out fairly well educated graduates. The other is government run and seems to be more concerned with getting kids to shut up, sit down, and put a condom on a banana than teaching them.

Except in Blue States. People there like education.

Ummm....HERE'S A SHOCKER: Republican States Have The Best Public Schools In The Country, By A Long Shot - Business Insider

Ok, rdean, we'll just go with "computers, tvs, movies, and so on." (Boy is that some interesting 'and so on!')

[sigh] It disappoints me to actually have to type it out. If the expense didn't actually result in better test scores than those of the kids who figured it out in the stone age....how is the expense justified?

If marginal funding increases has no impact on education results, how do you successfully argue cutting funding harms education results?

Seriously, this debate is almost 20 years old and liberals are still losing it. Now you don't even show up for it. I have to take that as a rhetorical retreat...because if I took your response at face value, we'd have no choice but to question the quality of your education.

If this thread is any indication, even Democrats are resigned to the fact that charter schools are the necessary algae eaters of the hopelessly unkempt aquarium that is public primary education in this country.

Did I say "dance?" Apparently I meant "scurry like little critters when you turn the lights on."

lol, that should chap some asses. but those like rdeanie will just act like they never saw that.

This article is a little more recent and also confirms math scores suffer the same dynamic: Same As It Ever Was: High School Seniors' Reading and Math Performance Stagnates

But check out how far New Orleans has come since the city's educational system has been rebuilt around charter schools: New Orleans Charter School Revolution: 10 Years After Katrina

New Orleans goes all in on charter schools. Is it showing the way?

The OP was explicitly referencing college education, but nebulously accusing Republicans of generally tearing down education by trimming its budgetary appetites. Since the point was to disparage Republican logic on school reform, it deserved some scrutiny.

I think Speed Shooter has clearly proven primary education turns out to be an embarrassment to college institutions that they clearly haven't fixed even by the time they hand out diplomas. So let's help college education by at least helping primary education first. By letting parents decide which schools they want their kids to go, we starve bad schools who preach & teach nothing but excuses in favor of ones that don't mind being paid for results.

Here we have the best singular example of liberalism's blind spot. They're simply stricken mute when shown increased public funding to unionized fortresses doesn't solve an issue--or in fact even makes it worse. Where did these enlightened liberals go when it was time to debate the facts? Are there any others out there better equipped who can explain how my support of results-conditioned funding of education is a bad thing?

The cure for all ills isn't a perennial appeal for "just a little more government funding..."

If liberals really got past the cognitive dissonance and cared about policy results, they'd insist on what works instead of what wastes.

Here's a real life situation that happened to me a couple of years ago-and it sums up why I think the kids are failing in society and in school:

I had a (16 year old) male student who literally did NO work for 9 weeks straight. The quarter is 9 weeks long. He ended up failing my class (obviously). I called home and let his mom know that he failed my class. A few important tidbits: his grades were updated weekly online for his mom to access, I called him mom on THREE different occasions, letting her know that he son was failing...she seemed to lack interest in discussing his education each time I called. She also didn't show up to open house and/or conference night.

The week after final quarter grades (exam week), his mom came to the school, tracked me down on campus and literally followed me around demanding an explanation as to why her son failed. When I told her that he didn't do the work and I wouldn't accept it months (literally in some cases) late-she became livid. I informed her that she could take it up with the administration if she had a problem with my policies (which by the way were written out in the syllabus that she signed and returned to me--which I of course had on file).

The next day I was told by administration to accept his late work, and give him a grade for it. It was now my turn to be livid.

I wasn't livid because I had more work to do, I was livid because doing this is a major reason why I see the system failing so many students. I was livid for my other 149 students who didn't do this. I was livid for my students who busted their butts to earn their grades....I was livid for my students who failed but actually took on the responsibility of failing.

So what did my student learn after this ordeal?

-He learned that the rules don't apply to him.
-He learned that he can be lazy for months (literally) and have no immediate OR long term consequences.
-He learned that he can manipulate people in positions of power (the admin and his parents), to get what he wants. -When he gets into the "real world" he will then learn that that crap doesn't fly in the real world.

PS: The student had the entire summer to hand in the work, and I would have graded it and do what my bosses told me to do-no questions asked. I know my role-and I follow up. He (the student) never turned in any of his work over the summer and still ending up failing.

I saw him this school in the halls a few days ago, and walking with his friend I heard him whisper "that's the teacher who failed me...". Sorry kiddo, you may be right, but I'm also the teacher that had your best interest in mind. I can only hope that when he's old enough he learns from his ways....but he'll probably pull the same crap again this year.

PS: Throwing money at a situation like this does nothing, neither does coddling children.

Here's a real life situation that happened to me a couple of years ago-and it sums up why I think the kids are failing in society and in school:

I had a (16 year old) male student who literally did NO work for 9 weeks straight. The quarter is 9 weeks long. He ended up failing my class (obviously). I called home and let his mom know that he failed my class. A few important tidbits: his grades were updated weekly online for his mom to access, I called him mom on THREE different occasions, letting her know that he son was failing...she seemed to lack interest in discussing his education each time I called. She also didn't show up to open house and/or conference night.

The week after final quarter grades (exam week), his mom came to the school, tracked me down on campus and literally followed me around demanding an explanation as to why her son failed. When I told her that he didn't do the work and I wouldn't accept it months (literally in some cases) late-she became livid. I informed her that she could take it up with the administration if she had a problem with my policies (which by the way were written out in the syllabus that she signed and returned to me--which I of course had on file).

The next day I was told by administration to accept his late work, and give him a grade for it. It was now my turn to be livid.

I wasn't livid because I had more work to do, I was livid because doing this is a major reason why I see the system failing so many students. I was livid for my other 149 students who didn't do this. I was livid for my students who busted their butts to earn their grades....I was livid for my students who failed but actually took on the responsibility of failing.

So what did my student learn after this ordeal?

-He learned that the rules don't apply to him.
-He learned that he can be lazy for months (literally) and have no immediate OR long term consequences.
-He learned that he can manipulate people in positions of power (the admin and his parents), to get what he wants. -When he gets into the "real world" he will then learn that that crap doesn't fly in the real world.

PS: The student had the entire summer to hand in the work, and I would have graded it and do what my bosses told me to do-no questions asked. I know my role-and I follow up. He (the student) never turned in any of his work over the summer and still ending up failing.

I saw him this school in the halls a few days ago, and walking with his friend I heard him whisper "that's the teacher who failed me...". Sorry kiddo, you may be right, but I'm also the teacher that had your best interest in mind. I can only hope that when he's old enough he learns from his ways....but he'll probably pull the same crap again this year.

PS: Throwing money at a situation like this does nothing, neither does coddling children.
I understand that your scenario is not all that uncommon.

LOL The dems are destroying public education. That's a fact, jack
How, by defunding it?

You can't have no facts to back something up and then say it's a fact. If you were educated, you would know that.

increasing funding =/= better performance.

In my county the schools with the most money tend to be your title 1+another district rating. They also tend to be the lowest performing schools. The reasons are obvious to anybody teaching there, here's just a few:

-Many students don't know any high school graduates...so they're not sure how to study/get good grades
-Academics aren't a priority at home for many students
-The students don't have access to the Internet and/or a computer at home--putting them at a severe disadvantage to their peers who do

Except in Blue States. People there like education.

Ummm....HERE'S A SHOCKER: Republican States Have The Best Public Schools In The Country, By A Long Shot - Business Insider

Ok, rdean, we'll just go with "computers, tvs, movies, and so on." (Boy is that some interesting 'and so on!')

[sigh] It disappoints me to actually have to type it out. If the expense didn't actually result in better test scores than those of the kids who figured it out in the stone age....how is the expense justified?

If marginal funding increases has no impact on education results, how do you successfully argue cutting funding harms education results?

Seriously, this debate is almost 20 years old and liberals are still losing it. Now you don't even show up for it. I have to take that as a rhetorical retreat...because if I took your response at face value, we'd have no choice but to question the quality of your education.

If this thread is any indication, even Democrats are resigned to the fact that charter schools are the necessary algae eaters of the hopelessly unkempt aquarium that is public primary education in this country.

Did I say "dance?" Apparently I meant "scurry like little critters when you turn the lights on."
Liberals are losing, yet they have the best colleges and universities in the world. I would never trust an opinion article that promotes home schooling.

Forum List

Back