Will radical dullards get a voice?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Since when has this been what America is about? Breitbart has proposed a solution for ending online harassment. Breitbart's proposal was put forth by its editor, Milo Yiannopoulos (a two time college dropout -- who does that? Well, Milo for one.), in the following article which was published about a month and a half ago.

The Solution To Online ‘Harassment’ Is Simple: Women Should Log Off

Here are some of the "pearls" of wisdom he offers:
  • "Time for some honesty. Women are — and you won’t hear this anywhere else — screwing up the internet for men by invading every space we have online and ruining it with attention-seeking and a needy, demanding, touchy-feely form of modern feminism that quickly comes into conflict with men’s natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational and delightfully autistic."

Dear God! Milo's implication: men simply cannot control their natural tendencies. Assuming he's right, has there ever been a better reason for never again having a man be a head of state? Or head of much of anything?

• "The internet can’t cope any more with such strenuous tension between the sexes. I mean, there’s a reason that male golfers don’t compete against female golfers. They’re in a league of their own, and it would end in tears. It’s time to apply this logic to the online world."

I see. The logic that says women do indeed have less overall body strength than men; thus they shouldn't compete with men in physical sports is good logic to follow for with regard to mental activities too. Well, that makes good sense for ot only are women physically less capable than men, they are cognitively less adept as well. Puh-lease!

• "Here’s my suggestion to fix the gender wars online: Women should just log off. Given that men built the internet, along with the rest of modern civilisation, I think it’s only fair that they get to keep it. And given what a miserable time women are having on the web, surely they would welcome an abrupt exit. They could go back to bridge tournaments, or wellness workshops, or swapping apple crumble recipes, or whatever it is women do in their spare time."

• "[The sample behaviors and attitudes mentioned] are all barking mad, of course, but what it illustrates is that feminism never brings men and women together in equality. it drives the sexes apart through acrimony, constant suspicion and antagonism like “teach men not to rape” and illogical generalities and conspiracy theories like the “patriarchy.”
Those are among the ideas that the publisher and editors of Breitbart espouses and puts forth as solutions. Now Trump has brought a key Breitbart figure into his campaign. As if one loon leading the show there weren't enough.

As for Milo, what else can one expect? The man went to college and for whatever reason determined it wasn't "for him" and dropped out. So what did he later do? He went back to college. What grown person decides that college (or anything) isn't "their thing" and then disbelieves their own assessment of themselves so much that they go back to college only to drop out again? What kind of paradigm is that? "I'll try anything twice because I couldn't tell whether I 'had a clue' the first time round?" How incoherent, how insane, how inept, how self-doubting must one be to think like that and then act upon those thoughts?

Sure as I chide Milo for thinking that drivel and Breitbart for publishing it, I too know that as with any other movement, there are extremes. The feminist movement is no different. But here's the thing....He wrote the piece to suggest a genuine solution for overcoming online harassment. Are women the only folks harassed online? Hardly. Do women not harass others online? Maybe in some parallel universe. Milo didn't write that article as comedy piece to lambaste extreme feminists. The guy with complete sincerity wrote that essay.

Here's someone who thoroughly lays into extreme feminism using a comedic approach to do so.

"As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes.," Those are his words about his own proposal; therefore Milo, and by extension the people running Breitbart seeing as he's an editor there, knows his thinking is insane, but...wait for it....he wants to see it implemented anyway!!! WTH???

If the Breitbart crowd actually get into the halls of true power, the world needs to be afraid. Those people are completely off their rockers, assuming they had any to begin with. So, no, I don't want radical feminists to obtain power, but neither do I want Breitbart radicals to do so. The material difference and risks: members of the Breitbart leadership, with their uncontrollable "natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational and delightfully autistic," literally have no business even being near power.

Since when has this been what America is about? Breitbart has proposed a solution for ending online harassment. Breitbart's proposal was put forth by its editor, Milo Yiannopoulos (a two time college dropout -- who does that? Well, Milo for one.), in the following article which was published about a month and a half ago.

• "Time for some honesty. Women are — and you won’t hear this anywhere else — screwing up the internet for men by invading every space we have online and ruining it with attention-seeking and a needy, demanding, touchy-feely form of modern feminism that quickly comes into conflict with men’s natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational and delightfully autistic."

Dear God! Milo's implication: men simply cannot control their natural tendencies. Assuming he's right, has there ever been a better reason for never again having a man be a head of state? Or head of much of anything?

• "The internet can’t cope any more with such strenuous tension between the sexes. I mean, there’s a reason that male golfers don’t compete against female golfers. They’re in a league of their own, and it would end in tears. It’s time to apply this logic to the online world."

I see. The logic that says women do indeed have less overall body strength than men; thus they shouldn't compete with men in physical sports is good logic to follow for with regard to mental activities too. Well, that makes good sense for ot only are women physically less capable than men, they are cognitively less adept as well. Puh-lease!

• "Here’s my suggestion to fix the gender wars online: Women should just log off. Given that men built the internet, along with the rest of modern civilisation, I think it’s only fair that they get to keep it. And given what a miserable time women are having on the web, surely they would welcome an abrupt exit. They could go back to bridge tournaments, or wellness workshops, or swapping apple crumble recipes, or whatever it is women do in their spare time."

• "[The sample behaviors and attitudes mentioned] are all barking mad, of course, but what it illustrates is that feminism never brings men and women together in equality. it drives the sexes apart through acrimony, constant suspicion and antagonism like “teach men not to rape” and illogical generalities and conspiracy theories like the “patriarchy.”
Those are among the ideas that the publisher and editors of Breitbart espouses and puts forth as solutions. Now Trump has brought a key Breitbart figure into his campaign. As if one loon leading the show there weren't enough.

As for Milo, what else can one expect? The man went to college and for whatever reason determined it wasn't "for him" and dropped out. So what did he later do? He went back to college. What grown person decides that college (or anything) isn't "their thing" and then disbelieves their own assessment of themselves so much that they go back to college only to drop out again? What kind of paradigm is that? "I'll try anything twice because I couldn't tell whether I 'had a clue' the first time round?" How incoherent, how insane, how inept, how self-doubting must one be to think like that and then act upon those thoughts?

Sure as I chide Milo for thinking that drivel and Breitbart for publishing it, I too know that as with any other movement, there are extremes. The feminist movement is no different. But here's the thing....He wrote the piece to suggest a genuine solution for overcoming online harassment. Are women the only folks harassed online? Hardly. Do women not harass others online? Maybe in some parallel universe. Milo didn't write that article as comedy piece to lambaste extreme feminists. The guy with complete sincerity wrote that essay.

Here's someone who thoroughly lays into extreme feminism using a comedic approach to do so.

"As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes.," Those are his words about his own proposal; therefore Milo, and by extension the people running Breitbart seeing as he's an editor there, knows his thinking is insane, but...wait for it....he wants to see it implemented anyway!!! WTH???

If the Breitbart crowd actually get into the halls of true power, the world needs to be afraid. Those people are completely off their rockers, assuming they had any to begin with. So, no, I don't want radical feminists to obtain power, but neither do I want Breitbart radicals to do so. The material difference and risks: members of the Breitbart leadership, with their uncontrollable "natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational and delightfully autistic," literally have no business even being near power.

Milo's humor doesn't appeal to you but Maher's does. Got it.

Red:
No, you didn't get it all. Not even close. What you have done is irrationally and inaccurately make an inference about which man's humor appeals to me and which one's humor does not appeal to me.
  1. I didn't indicate whether Bill Maher's humor appeals to me or does not appeal to me. I wrote only that Bill Maher "lays into extreme feminism using a comedic approach." That does not provide any indication about which individual's humor appeals to me, nor does it address whether Bill Maher's humor appeals to me. It's nothing more than an illustration of an individual using humor to lambaste extreme feminism.
  2. Nothing about Milo's statements/proposal suggests a jocular tone or intent. The man wrote, "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes," thus making sure the reader knows he is not joking.
Insofar as Bill Maher' piece is offered as comedy and Milo's is not, there's no basis for inferring whether Milo's humor appeals to me in comparison with Bill Maher's because Milo didn't make any jokes.

:uhh: I will never get that time back.

Very well. I'll rephrase. You acknowledge Maher's humor but do not acknowledge Milo's. Here's the thing. You've made your distain for the uneducated Milo and the radical Breitbart quite clear. Your bias appears to have dulled your ability to recognize a tongue in cheek message from Milo via Breitbart.

Red:
No, you didn't get it all. Not even close. What you have done is irrationally and inaccurately make an inference about which man's humor appeals to me and which one's humor does not appeal to me.
  1. I didn't indicate whether Bill Maher's humor appeals to me or does not appeal to me. I wrote only that Bill Maher "lays into extreme feminism using a comedic approach." That does not provide any indication about which individual's humor appeals to me, nor does it address whether Bill Maher's humor appeals to me. It's nothing more than an illustration of an individual using humor to lambaste extreme feminism.
  2. Nothing about Milo's statements/proposal suggests a jocular tone or intent. The man wrote, "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes," thus making sure the reader knows he is not joking.
Insofar as Bill Maher' piece is offered as comedy and Milo's is not, there's no basis for inferring whether Milo's humor appeals to me in comparison with Bill Maher's because Milo didn't make any jokes.
Very well. I'll rephrase. You acknowledge Maher's humor but do not acknowledge Milo's. Here's the thing. You've made your distain for the uneducated Milo and the radical Breitbart quite clear. Your bias appears to have dulled your ability to recognize a tongue in cheek message from Milo via Breitbart.

Red:
I would have considered the essay satirical had he not written, "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." But he did write that. Indeed, in writing it, he makes a point of acknowledging that his idea is "insane" to some degree, yet he nonetheless stands behind its being truly "the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." That's just not a the sort of statement a satirist would use to ensure his reader that he's truly just joking.

Last edited:

Red:

Red:
I would have considered the essay satirical had he not written, "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." But he did write that. Indeed, in writing it, he makes a point of acknowledging that his idea is "insane" to some degree, yet he nonetheless stands behind its being truly "the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." That's just not a the sort of statement a satirist would use to ensure his reader that he's truly just joking.

I disagree. There is no rule of satire that states you can't call your premise insane. Frankly, I find it utterly bizarre that you believe Milos is serious in suggesting that females be kept off line to avoid extreme feminism.

Humor aside, surely, the lesson here is dullards come in all stripes.

Milo is a threat to the left....he is openly, proudly, outrageously gay......and a hard core Catholic and conservative....they don't know how to attack him......since he likes having sex with black guys he is completely immune to their normal attacks...they can't call him gay....because he already embraces it...they can't call him a racist...because he embraces black men (literally).....so now they have to have fake outrage over comments about men on the internet....

Red:

Red:

I disagree. There is no rule of satire that states you can't call your premise insane. Frankly, I find it utterly bizarre that you believe Milos is serious in suggesting that females be kept off line to avoid extreme feminism.

Humor aside, surely, the lesson here is dullards come in all stripes.

Red:
You can disagree all day long. That you base your disagreement on what rules exist or don't as goes satire rather the fact that Milo describes his proposal as insane rather than on the fact that he makes clear that he yet sees it as "genuinely the best recipe for harmony," clearly evinces that you simply have poor reading comprehension skills.

How do I know that you simply have not understood what you read?
  • Look at the sentence: "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes."
    • Independent clause --> "it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes."
    • Dependent/subordinate clause --> "as insane as my suggestion sounds"
You see, the way English works is that the central and most important idea in a sentence that begins with a subordinate clause and ends with an independent clause is contained in independent clause. That's an important grammar rule to know and apply because by ignoring it one can easily place undue emphasis on the wrong part of a sentence, thus placing focus where the writer didn't put it and misconstruing the writer's intent and meaning.

So when I look at the nature of your comments, and I can see plainly what Milo wrote, and I understand how English works, it's very clear to me that you have not understood the sentence, "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." Nobody who does understand that sentence would in complete seriousness make the comments you made about that sentence and its meaning. Might they do so to be obtuse? Yes. Might they do so as prevarication? Yes.​

You see, a satirist may very well declare his/her ideas insane. What s/he also will do is use one of several grammatical or literary techniques to inform the reader that they are reading something offered in jest. When the writer composes a sentence like the one we're discussing, the subjunctive mood is the grammatical technique writers use to give readers the clue that they writer don't truly believe what s/he wrote and that they too should not believe the writer is serious. In the case of Milo's sentence -- "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it's genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes." -- the verb that a satirist would have conjugated in the subjunctive mood is the verb "to be" found in the independent clause.
So, what is a way Milo may have written the sentence (or a slightly reworded one) so that it conveys the "contrary to fact/reality" mood of the subjunctive? Well, here're some:
  • "As insane as my suggestion sounds, it be genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes.
  • "As insane as my suggestion sounds, genuinely the best recipe for harmony between the sexes it be.
  • "As insane as my suggestion sounds, I had rather think it genuinely be the best recipe for harmony between the sexes."
There are, of course, other ways Milo may have clearly communicated that he was just joking. What's most telling, however, is that nowhere in his essay, most especially not in the sentence we're discussing, did he use any of them.

You have made it clear that you don't accept that not all humor is what you want it to be. I can't force a funny bone on you.

On the off chance you are interested, here is a link on the topic.
Humor | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
You're wasting your time, 320 has no concept of humor past the simplest knock knock variety, for him/her/it the concept of satire in all it's forms is beyond comprehension.

You have made it clear that you don't accept that not all humor is what you want it to be. I can't force a funny bone on you.

On the off chance you are interested, here is a link on the topic.
Humor | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
You're wasting your time, 320 has no concept of humor past the simplest knock knock variety, for him/her/it the concept of satire in all it's forms is beyond comprehension.
Yeah, I know. It's just that I feel bad for those stuck in subjunctive moods for dummies, divorced from mirth.

You didn't even have to duck when it went over your empty head, did you?

Milo is a threat to the left....he is openly, proudly, outrageously gay......and a hard core Catholic and conservative....they don't know how to attack him......since he likes having sex with black guys he is completely immune to their normal attacks...they can't call him gay....because he already embraces it...they can't call him a racist...because he embraces black men (literally).....so now they have to have fake outrage over comments about men on the internet....

Milo is a proud member of the alt-right. Which according to the RWnuts in the last day or so, means that he can't possibly exist,

because according to them, there's no such thing as the alt right.

Forum List

Back