Will Obama Ignore the War Powers Act?

• Total voters
It is not a 'War'.

It is an 'Overseas Contingent Military Kenetic Police Action'.

By re-defining stuff, laws no longer apply.

Thats kinda like when hitler illegally increased the size of the German military by calling them "Police Battalions".

I doubt he cares about it. He will probably pretend we arent doing anything in Libya.
We're not- Nato is! :rofl:

Wrong, we just recently had a report that 40 percent of all air missions are still conducted by American aircraft and crews.
Went right past you, eh? :rolleyes:

It is not a 'War'.

It is an 'Overseas Contingent Military Kenetic Police Action'.

By re-defining stuff, laws no longer apply.

Thats kinda like when hitler illegally increased the size of the German military by calling them "Police Battalions".
Or VietNam being a 'Police Action'

He can't "ignore" the War Powers Act. I suppose he could let our troops sit over there with no fuel or ammo, or hazard duty pay well after the 90 day limit of his funding; but he can't just say "fuck the War Powers Act, keep funding our war in Libya." He doesn't have the authority to do so. There will be NO money to run any war though if Congress doesn't vote to extend the funding. They will of course vote to extend the funding.

Is congress funding them now?

He already has...I believe the deadline to seek congressional approval for further military action in Libya is today.

Actually he had to inform them by today, but he can keep up the action for 30 more days before he is suppose to stop if he does not have approval.

Not sure why anyone would expect less than this from the Hippocrate and chief Barack Obama.

Lawmakers largely silent on war powers authority in Libya - TheHill.com
U.S. operations in Libya hit the 60-day mark Friday, but Congress has grown largely silent on the administration’s unilateral intervention into the war-torn North African nation.

The 1973 War Powers Act (WPA) — the statute President Obama invoked when he launched forces in March — requires presidents to secure congressional approval for military operations within 60 days, or withdraw forces within the next 30.

So I guess the question is will he ignore the War Powers Act and prove to us once again that he is above the law and the constitution be damned or will he beg congress for approval?
The War Powers Act passed was passed in 1973. Nixon and all subsequent presidents contended that the War Powers Resolution was unconstitutional. In virtually every commitment of U.S. troops since 1973, including the Iran hostage rescue attempt (1980), military exercises in Honduras (1983), the participation of U.S. marines in a multinational force in Lebanon (1982–1983), invasion of Grenada (1983), bombing of Libya (1986), invasion of Panama (1989), humanitarian mission to Somalia (1992–1994), and bombing of Kosovo (1999), members of Congress complained that the president had not fully complied with the War Powers Resolution.

The Resolution has been regularly ignored by presidents of both parties. The courts have never ruled on the constitutionally of the resolution.

Read more: The war powers resolution - Judiciary Power and Practice The war powers resolution - Judiciary Power and Practice

George H. W. Bush deployed 350,000 troops to the Persian Gulf in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait. He did not seek legislative body's approval because this was UN action. I'm sure Obama is using the same reason since the Libyan action is part of a NATO directed campaign.

He already has...I believe the deadline to seek congressional approval for further military action in Libya is today.

Actually he had to inform them by today, but he can keep up the action for 30 more days before he is suppose to stop if he does not have approval.

Not sure why anyone would expect less than this from the Hippocrate and chief Barack Obama.
I stand corrected.

George H. W. Bush deployed 350,000 troops to the Persian Gulf in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait. He did not seek legislative body's approval because this was UN action. I'm sure Obama is using the same reason since the Libyan action is part of a NATO directed campaign.
First of all, we're not talking about any of the BOOOOOOOSHes here.

Secondly, "mooooom he's doing it tooooo" doesn't work when you're five...It's an even shittier argument as an alleged adult.

Secondly, "mooooom he's doing it tooooo" doesn't work when you're five...It's an even shittier argument as an alleged adult.
I really don't understand your comment, but the facts are every president has totally or partially ignored the resolution. There is no penalty other than stopping the military action by removing funding. Also the act is probably unconstitutional.

I doubt he cares about it. He will probably pretend we arent doing anything in Libya.

SUCKA!!!:razz:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/168242-obama-blinks-on-war-powers-act.html#post3665426

There is no question. He absolutely has ignored it.

SUCKA!!!:razz::razz:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/168242-obama-blinks-on-war-powers-act.html#post3665426

Either way it only shows this presidents contempt for the rule of law. This man is a king in his own mind.

SUCKA!!!:razz::razz::razz::razz:

You happen to have hit upon one of the subjects of my expertise - The War Powers Act. The short version of an answer is that every president since 1973 has ignored it, so why would Obama be any different.

I'm going to lose even more respect for him (I've already lost a lot) if he does though.

SUCKA!!!:razz::razz::razz::razz:

SUCKA!!!:razz::razz::razz:

I really don't understand your comment, but the facts are every president has totally or partially ignored the resolution. There is no penalty other than stopping the military action by removing funding. Also the act is probably unconstitutional.

Which president enacted the war powers act without asking congress for funding after it expired? I can only think of 1. BHO.

it would appear he is, The Deadline to get approval is today, I hear no mention of it at all. Maybe he is planning on it being over with in 30 days.

LOL

:lol:

I was the one that voted "NO" in the poll

SUCKAS!!!

I didn't even bother voting, because anyone with a brain realizes that he in fact could NOT just ignore the law.

You mean a guy who said that he was going to ignore and not enforce the defence of marrage act, the court ruling on the oil meritorium (which his interior department was held in contempt for), and played stupid after the florida obamacare ruling until the judge granted him a short extension, isnt going to ignore the law? Well as of today consider the law officially ignored. http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalp...means-no-need-to-get-congressional-autho.html

Forum List

Back