Will my kid be different?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
My 19 year old is coming home from. 6 weeks in Uganda trying to help the invisible children (orphans whose parents have been murdered or died of AIDs) I am so excited to see him.and very proud of what he's done and what he wants to continue to do. But I think he will be a different person.

Has anyone experienced a transformation of someone they love?

he will not be a different person...he will just realize the depths of his compassion and question the likes of a society like ours. he has seen true proverty...true suffereing....suddenly the problems here will be minor to him...he will be in a different place....away much of the time...but he is the same compassionate young man you raised well.

He will be different as in knowing that all he has been blessed with here is so much, and he won't take the little things for granted, like so many of us do.

What a great kid, I know you're proud of him. I hope he continues helping others, not only in other countries, but right here too.

Thank you ladies. That was very nice of you to say.He posted a zillion pics on his facebook and entitled the album "I went to Uganda and all I got was this stupid salvation" I thought that said it all.

As a mom though, (and a high school teacher) I have a feeling he may seem "uppity" to his friends when he gets back. I think he's prob going to feel a hundred years older than the kids he left behind. He'll be going back to DC in Jan to finish school but in the interim, I want him to keep busy. Wish us luck.

My 19 year old is coming home from. 6 weeks in Uganda trying to help the invisible children (orphans whose parents have been murdered or died of AIDs) I am so excited to see him.and very proud of what he's done and what he wants to continue to do. But I think he will be a different person.

Has anyone experienced a transformation of someone they love?

my brother did something similar and he went from guitar playing new-age hippy to a multi millionaire..the poverty scared the shit out of him and on his return his motivation turned to having property and gold..bussiness ventures and it just grew and grew..he is still a very compassionate individual but now he just writes big checks..it was major transformation however

If he changes at all, it will most definitely be for the better. He will probably be much more mature and won't take things for granted as he might have used to. Life will seem so much easier for him back in the technologically developed USA ... There's no need for you to worry, he'll be just fine. He might have a problem re-connecting with his old friends, especially if they're his age and haven't gone through a similar experience.

I imagine, it must be a paradigm-shifting experience for him and it must be especially profound for such a young person.

Six weeks is a short time in the grand scheme, but even a moment can change a person's life. And he will have had a lot of moments in his time there. I wouldn't worry about it being a negative in any way. He will probably come back more mature and definitely wiser, but it will be maturity and wisdom born of compassion. He'll do just fine. And congratulations to you on raising such a wonderful young man!

If you see any changes in him it will be of maturity, knowledge, compassion. What a fantastic experience for him to have in his life. I'll bet you can't wait to wrap your arms around him and give him a bear hug . . . . and breath that mom sigh that he's safely back home. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back