Will homo sapiens continue to evolve into a new type of human?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I see the current version of humanity as terribly flawed. Self-destructive, hateful, violent et al. So naturally I wonder what might come next. Looking into it I find some interesting speculations both for and against our continued evolution along the Darwinian model.

FUTURE HUMANS Four Ways We May or May Not Evolve

"The human population will become more alike as races merge, he said, but "Darwin's machine has lost its power."

That's because natural selection—Darwin's "survival of the fittest" concept—is being sidelined in humans, according to Jones.

The fittest will no longer spearhead evolutionary change, because, thanks to medical advances, the weakest also live on and pass down their genes.

When On the Origin of Species was published in 1859, only about half of British children survived to 21. Today that number has swelled to 99 percent.

In developed countries, "the fact that everybody stays alive, at least until they're sexually mature, means ['survival of the fittest' has] got nothing to work with," Jones said. "That part of the Darwinian fuel has gone." "

"Miller added that artificial selection using genetic technologies will likely accentuate these changes in the future.

"Parents could basically choose which sperm and egg get to meet up to produce a baby based on genetic information about which genes contribute to which physical and mental traits," he said.

"If the rich and powerful keep the artificial-selection technology to themselves, then you could get that kind of split between a kind of upper-class, dominant population and a lower-class, genetically oppressed population," he added. "

I hope that if the geneticly engineered humanity comes to be, we'll be able to engineer out the flaws currently plagueing us. Some kind of improved frontal lobe enabling better control of our baser passions and impulses, along with a reduction in the primitive parts of our brains where violence comes from.

we are not terribly flawed. we are the best there is at what we do.

in evolutionary timeframes, we will be self directing our evolution any second.

though i have read of some interesting theories that social evolution might be partially biologically based and might be evolving at a furious pace.

say in a frame of a few thousand years.

Der Ubermensch is overdue.

Humans are evolution's way of skipping evolution. We have it in our power to pass directly to a higher being.

That the choice has been to go the other way leaves some of us perplexed and a bit despairing.

I hope that if the geneticly engineered humanity comes to be, we'll be able to engineer out the flaws currently plagueing us. Some kind of improved frontal lobe enabling better control of our baser passions and impulses, along with a reduction in the primitive parts of our brains where violence comes from.

people with damage to their brains that reduce the input from "baser emotions" are complete wrecks.

you cannot logically analyze every step in your life.

"if you think about it, a small group of people went on a one-way voyage to [the Americas] 14,000 years ago, and then when new people [Europeans] showed up 500 years ago, they were still the same species."

Forum List

Back