Will Hollywood go the way of Detroit?

Sep 12, 2008
There is so little coming out of Hollywood I want to see anymore. Most of my entertainment time is going to Korean or Japanese dramas. They have more interesting characters, which develop quite nicely through the stories.

Of course, there are problems with these things. Korean sounds like the worst features of Vogon and Klingon, and they don't believe in spending money on sets. But if you want a really good series with lots of heart, then Korean is the way to go.

Right now I am watching "That Fool" for the third time. Such a good program. The last time Hollywood came out with anything this good was Wiseguy, which didn't last a season, and the next best one before that was Hill Street Blues, which got really goofy its last two seasons.

Do you think Americans will put up with the sound of Korean for the sake of better programming? Do you think Holllywood would get the message if people did forsake it in droves for programs like Densha Otoko?

Hollywood's big three went down years ago.

Most films are now created by indie production companies.

And while some of these indies might use Hollywood's movers and shakers for finance, marketing sales and theater distribution, the films themselves are not produced by the big studios.

Well, I am not into how it is structured, but the product produced.

If you had a choice, would you go elsewhere? Actually with the internet, you do have a choice. Are you going other places?

As KK mentioned it appears that the only ideas they have now are comic books.

People like to be entertained not preached out, that is where holywood lost its grip, they have to make movies not sermons.

There is so little coming out of Hollywood I want to see anymore. Most of my entertainment time is going to Korean or Japanese dramas. They have more interesting characters, which develop quite nicely through the stories.

Of course, there are problems with these things. Korean sounds like the worst features of Vogon and Klingon, and they don't believe in spending money on sets. But if you want a really good series with lots of heart, then Korean is the way to go.

Right now I am watching "That Fool" for the third time. Such a good program. The last time Hollywood came out with anything this good was Wiseguy, which didn't last a season, and the next best one before that was Hill Street Blues, which got really goofy its last two seasons.

Do you think Americans will put up with the sound of Korean for the sake of better programming? Do you think Holllywood would get the message if people did forsake it in droves for programs like Densha Otoko?

"Hollywood" movies have been losing money for at least a decade. The only block busters turn out to be unrealistic "cool" scifi crap with special effects, or animated stuff. Even the PPV movies (at least on Dish Network) suck. This week they've even revived "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective." I mean WHAAAAAAT?! Who the hell is going to pay $4.99 to see that nonsense when it's already been on television a gazillion times for nothing?

Forget movies. I think there are some excellent series on the cable channels these days.

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Cleaner
Damages
Leverage

Even "Army Wives" on Lifetime is quite good. The one I'll miss is "The Riches," which only made it two seasons. But I guess that storyline had nowhere to go.

As KK mentioned it appears that the only ideas they have now are comic books.

People like to be entertained not preached out, that is where holywood lost its grip, they have to make movies not sermons.

Not all the drama involves preaching. I recently watched "Changeling" with Angelina Jolie, an excellent true story and she never fails to impress me with her acting talent (which is what I look for in a Hollywood movie). I also watched "Doubt" because of the actors, but was disappointed in the ending.

I doubt Americans will fall in love with this stuff like you have.

But, I truly did enjoy Slumdog Millionaire. What a filthy place India is. Those poor people.

It already has....Have you ever been to Hollywood??

It's a crappy, depressed shithole like Detroit...Only with better weather and fewer burned out buildings.

You've never even been to Detroit.

LA has bums sleeping right on the sidewalks. The city doesn't even hide them.

It already has....Have you ever been to Hollywood??

It's a crappy, depressed shithole like Detroit...Only with better weather and fewer burned out buildings.

So what were YOU doing in WEST Hollywood? Decide to stick around that end and not venture any further? :lol:

"Hollywood" is more an iconic mystical place. The production locales, sound stages, and sets are located all over LA, from Culver City to the San Fernando Valley (Burbank). In "Hollywood" just about all you'll find are the bright lights of Sunset and Hollywood Boulevards where all the club activity is, the Greek Theater and the Hollywood Bowl.

Yeah...And the bums (I'm sorry...urban outdoorsmen), hookers, and smack addicts infest those areas too.

I live in a small city of 60,000 and we have our share of them too. Urban areas are rife with meth addicts. This is a whole new topic that needs public discussion, eventually.

New Topics

Forum List

Back