Will Hillary run as an independent?

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Given how close the race is between Hillary and Obama, do you think she will pull out of the Party and run as an independent?

If she thinks she could win in 2012 (if McCain wins this year) this would be a sure way to make sure that Obama is out of the picture....by pulling a Nader on him. I could see her being mean enough to destroy the "upstart" who is derailing her...

However, she would be cutting ties with the Party plus she doesn't have all that much money...

thoughts?

makes ya feel better about your establishment candidates staggering loss to an upstart?

I don't think she will be that desperate for the 08 presidency. Hell, Lieberman was pretty much a no brainer considering which party offers blank check support for his dual citizenship. Good riddance. And, were Clinton to do the same, Like Joe, it would show just what exactly is her primary concern since, clearly, it won't be the United States or the Dem party.

Besides, while Im sure the Ravis and Geraldines out there will flock to the vagina it's not as if Clinton is wielding support outside of the dem party and pubs who want to fuck with open primaries. Not to mention, Lieberman's single state influence is in no way, shape or form reflective of a national election.

Not likely. She'll remain a Senator, something the Dems actually need more at this point than a presidential win.
But will Hillary care about the Party over herself?

"The downside for Obama of having Mrs. Clinton on the ticket far outweighs the upside. Here are a few reasons why, in no particular order of importance:

She adds little or nothing to the ticket. Despite Hillary’s claim of being able to carry the "big" states, let’s be realistic. New York, California, and New Jersey are going to go Democratic no matter who is the nominee. Hillary won Texas(allegedly), but the chances of Texas becoming a blue state in November are slim and none.

On the other hand, Obama has a chance to put the South in play because of the large number of African-American voters in states like North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Louisiana. With Hillary’s recent remarks on "hard-working white Americans" some of those voters might not be as motivated to turn out.

It diminishes Obama’s message of change. Running as the candidate who wants to change the way things are done in Washington will be difficult with a running mate who has been involved in Washington politics for the last 16 years. In my opinion, Obama needs a VP from outside the beltway, a governor or possibly a former general, who could counter McCain’s advantage in the area of military and foreign policy experience.

A successful Obama administration is not in Hillary’s best interests. If she wants to make another run for president, eight years of President Obama would make Hillary nearly 70 years old in 2016. She may work to undercut his agenda and his ability to pass legislation to see to it that doesn’t happen.

Bill, the ultimate loose cannon. Does Obama really want Bill traveling the world with the authority of the husband of the vice-president, saying who-knows-what. I would hardly think so.

Hillary is a polarizing person. Beginning a campaign for president with a running mate that half of the country will not vote for and more than half thinks is dishonest seems to me to be putting Obama at a disadvantage before the race even starts.

Hillary energizes the Republican attack machine. If Obama wants to make this campaign about the future of the country, that will be a lot easier without the dredging up of all the Clinton scandals of the past, which will surely happen if Hillary is on the ticket. I can the ads now, do you really want this person a heartbeat away from the presidency? Again, this is more baggage that Obama doesn’t need to carry.

There are many potential VP candidates who could add to Obama’s strengths and shore up some of his weaknesses. Governors Kaine of Virginia, Sebelius of Kansas, or Strickland of Ohio to name three. On the military side the possibility of Wesley Clark or Anthony Zinni has been mentioned. Any of these would bring positives to the ticket without all the negatives that Hillary brings. In my opinion, Obama and Clinton are oil and water, not a good mix."

http://www.chron.com/commons/person...radoPost:9eee46e0-aef5-49c7-bb77-64cd5ceab5e9

Same reason most Dems do (Lieberman excluded). The ideals are more important.

bullshit. If that were the case we would have ended this little charade two weeks ago.

not that you know what the hell you are talking about anyway..

I think she'd run as an independent.
And I think it's laughable to say that "most dems" choose ideals over whatever. What a hoot!

Hillary's not running because she wants to help the country, and neither did Bill. They ran/run because they want to be presidents. And they'll do anything to accomplish it.

I don't blame Hillary for Obama losing. I blame the idiocy of the press for promoting him to kinghood, and the superdelegates for going along. Hillary could have been president, if not for Obama getting in the way.

Now it's lose/lose for the Dems, the morons.

hillary is not going to run as an independent.

that's just rubbish.

She will if she thinks she has a chance of winning. And don't forget...many (if not most) of her dem buddies turned on her.

I hadn't thought of it as a possibility until now, but it would also explain her refusal to drop out.

Forum List

Back