Will Harper ever visit Turkey?

They weren't very nice to the Bulgarians either.

It might be worth noting that the Government of Turkey is quite a different animal than it was back then. Blaming the nation Turkey as the same as the Ottoman government is a bit of blood libel

This is not about blame. It is about human expiation of wrongs and genocide is considered one of the greatest crimes against man. Armenia demands recognition for what was done to them as a people.

Turkey pretends that they didn't slaughter the entire Armenian population of Anatolian Turkey.

They are all gone. Turkey thinks they walked away? :cuckoo:

Please direct me to the official U.S. apology for the genocide perpetrated against Native Americans.

Thanks.

0618turkey1.jpg

The idea of a Harper visit to Turkey is fraught with domestic and foreign policy sensitivities due to decisions dating back to Mr. Harper’s time as official Opposition leader.

During that period he embraced the politically active Armenian-Canadian community’s claim that atrocities committed against their community in Ottoman Turkey starting in 1915 constituted genocide.

Plenty of politicians around the world have responded to the Armenian lobby effort, resulting in some 20 legislatures in various countries passing motions recognizing that genocide took place. Among them was the Canadian Senate, in 2002, and the House of Commons two years later.

But, according to Turkey, Canada’s Conservative government is the only one in the world to officially embrace the genocide narrative as official government policy.

Turkey objected furiously in 2006 when Mr. Harper formally stated the new policy, but some diplomats said a thaw had started to develop prior to the 2011 election campaign.

In April of 2010, for instance, Mr. Harper issued no statement to the general public to mark the anniversary of the tragedy. And recent high-level visits include a 2009 trip to Turkey by Lawrence Cannon, then minister of foreign affairs, and another last year by Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

Furthermore, Export Development Canada has just announced the opening of a regional office in Istanbul to help Canadian exporters break into the relatively thriving regional market, and there have been preliminary talks on possible free trade negotiations.

But then Mr. Harper issued an election campaign statement on the genocide, almost identical to the 2006 declaration, that got almost no mainstream media coverage in Canada but deeply angered Turkey.

Mr. Harper’s “wrong and unfair” judgment was based on “one-sided information” that came after a number of initiatives to improve relations, said an April 27 statement from the Turkish foreign ministry.

The government’s position was also “based on narrow political calculations” and “dealt a blow to these efforts,” the statement declared.

Rafet Akgunay, Turkey’s ambassador to Canada and a former senior foreign policy adviser to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said there has never been a discussion initiated by either government regarding a possible Harper visit.

“I don’t want to comment on such assumptions. If he wants to visit Turkey I’m sure my authorities would consider it accordingly,” Mr. Akgunay told Postmedia News.

But he described Mr. Harper’s genocide position as a “major obstacle” standing in the way of improved relations.

Harper hasn't visited Iran, Venezuela, Pakistan or North Korea either. Ignoring historical fact (genocide) and abandoning principles to garner favour with burgeoning economies is the Obama way, not Harper's.

Turkey wants to run from the Genocide it performed on the Armenians. Now they do the same to the Kurds. If another great war comes, they will do to the Kurds what they did to the Armenians.

Now they are just killing them when they can. In a great war, it will be rounding them up, forced marches and mass murders.

Like they did to the Armenians.

Turkey did NOT exist in 1915. How can a Country be responsible for actions taken BEFORE they ever existed?
Thank you! I've tried to explain this to him previously, but he has Turk-hatred due to their flotilla to bring goods to Palestinians.

Turkey was created by genoicide of the Armenians and theft of their country.

Of course it didn't exist. The Armenians of the land now called Anatolian Turkey and the land that was called Armenia is now tiny because the land now called Turkey is full of Turks and no Armenians.

Go figure?
That is so totally false it borders on deliberate lie.

I've been to Turkey.

Nice place. Lovely people.

Istanbul is a beautiful city.
I could not agree more. Of the 27 countries and territories I've visited, Turkey is my favorite. That said, Ankara is hell on your lungs!

And all the Burkas were not there in the 70's and 80's but you see them all over now. More to come.

With Burka comes...

They weren't very nice to the Bulgarians either.

It might be worth noting that the Government of Turkey is quite a different animal than it was back then. Blaming the nation Turkey as the same as the Ottoman government is a bit of blood libel

This is not about blame. It is about human expiation of wrongs and genocide is considered one of the greatest crimes against man. Armenia demands recognition for what was done to them as a people.

Turkey pretends that they didn't slaughter the entire Armenian population of Anatolian Turkey.

Please direct me to the official U.S. apology for the genocide perpetrated against Native Americans.

Thanks.
Did you find it yet, Ropey?

Of course it didn't exist. The Armenians of the land now called Anatolian Turkey and the land that was called Armenia is now tiny because the land now called Turkey is full of Turks and no Armenians.

Go figure?

Turkey+Map.gif

A picture says ...

And a neg for calling my call for Turkey to stand to their genocide hate Synth.

This thread is about Canada's view regarding Turkey and the genocide they perpetrated on the Armenians. :doubt:

Not you whining about other events. I'm Canadian. At any rate, this is not about your sniveling that the Armenian genocide was fine :eusa_whistle:

I've been to Turkey.

Is it as wonderous as I've been told? I've heard that you can literally smell coffee upon coffee smells. It's like a layer of aroma that embraces the city in the morning.

I know Istanbul from Fashion TV....yes I'm a camo girl but it doesn't mean I still don't love my old days of Vogue and Mary Quant.

The cistern is absolutely amazing.

Basilica Cistern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The night life is great. They have modern bars on roof tops that are very fun. Istanbul comes alive around 9ish and is hopping until 1am or so. The Turks are very friendly and the sidewalk cafes are as chic as any in Europe.

Very beautiful place.

I've been to Turkey.

Is it as wonderous as I've been told? I've heard that you can literally smell coffee upon coffee smells. It's like a layer of aroma that embraces the city in the morning.

I know Istanbul from Fashion TV....yes I'm a camo girl but it doesn't mean I still don't love my old days of Vogue and Mary Quant.

The night life is great. They have modern bars on roof tops that are very fun. Istanbul comes alive around 9ish and is hopping until 1am or so. The Turks are very friendly and the sidewalk cafes are as chic as any in Europe.

Very beautiful place.

And when they deal with their past genocide of the Armenians AND stop trying to genocide their Kurds AND deal with their minority issues in an un-Islamic way (killing them) AND THEN possibly Harper will stop the demands for them to stand like men and not crawl like others here who wish to turn a blind eye.

Harper does not wish to turn that blind eye.

Turkey

Turkish+women+headscarf+burqa.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZ6DPDd-vg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪The Quran on My Mind - Part 1/3‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvS7q_hc6SU&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Quran on My Mind - Part 2/3‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xygxEMwGcyQ&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Quran on My Mind - Part 3/3‬‏[/ame]

Oh dear, oh dear - what is Turkey up too?
Does Turkey see their people's slavish devotion to Islam – as a problem? Or maybe they have concluded that - he who controls Islam - controls the people...

There has been a growing discussion and increasing controversy here in America surrounding Muslim women and their wearing of veils and burkas. Late in 2007, a Muslim man allegedly murdered his 16-year-old daughter in Toronto, Canada because she refused to be veiled. Another such “honor killing” took place in Texas, where a man is said to have murdered his two daughters because they did not behave like submissive females under Shar’ia laws. A Muslim, he drove to the airport in his taxi and flew off, presumably to his original homeland of Egypt, leaving their gunshot-riddled bodies in his taxi. These are but two tales of Islamist cruelty and murder of women here in our own homeland.

Islamization Watch: 2/24/08 - 3/2/08

Last edited:

Go figure?

Turkey+Map.gif

A picture says ...

This post doesn't explain how:

Because it wasn't. It was a lie.

And I called you a Turk-hater because of their flotilla to Palestine. So that's another lie from you.

Got more? I'll call you out on those, also.

I've been to Turkey.

Very beautiful place.

The scarey thing is Sallow, all the things you said about Turkey is what people used to say about Iran before the 1979 Revolution.

Turkey+Map.gif

A picture says ...

And I called you a Turk-hater because of their flotilla to Palestine. So that's another lie from you.

Because it wasn't? That's how you call out? Moron.

No, you're just a sniveler Synth. Not a lie. Before 1900 Turkey was tiny and Armenia wa a large country.

What happened then. The Armenians just disappeared? Turkey just gained all that land by luck?

Moron. :eusa_whistle:

This thread is about Canada's view regarding Turkey and the genocide they perpetrated on the Armenians. :doubt:

Not you whining about other events. I'm Canadian. At any rate, this is not about your sniveling that the Armenian genocide was fine :eusa_whistle:

You said:

Native Americans also demand recognition for what was done to them as a people.

Do you think they all walked away?

You're only on this jihad against Turkey because of the flotilla - just man up and admit it.

Synthaholic said:
Ropey said:
Hi, you have received -121 reputation points from Ropey.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Turk hatred for wanting them to stand to their genocide? Neg for you.

Regards,
Ropey

Note: This is an automated message.

Learn to read - I said Turk-hatred because of the flotilla, didn't I?

Learn to be understanding. Hate on one event concerning Turks and not on other events? Moron.

I demand they stand.

You demand they crawl and you crawl at the same time.

Turkey+Map.gif

A picture says ...

Because it wasn't? That's how you call out? Moron.

No, you're just a sniveler Synth. Not a lie. Before 1900 Turkey was tiny and Armenia wa a large country.

What happened then. The Armenians just disappeared? Turkey just gained all that land by luck?

Moron. :eusa_whistle:

Before 1900 there was no Turkey! But there was a huge Ottoman Empire with the caliphate seated in Istanbul.

Damn you're stupid.

You said:

Native Americans also demand recognition for what was done to them as a people.

Do you think they all walked away?

You're only on this jihad against Turkey because of the flotilla - just man up and admit it.

You continually try to turn this to other events.

This thread is about CANADA and THE CANADIAN DEMAND FOR TURKEY TO ADDRESS ITS GENOCIDE.

READ AND KNOW!

In Turkey, the secularism established by Kemal Attaturk when he dragged the Turks kicking and screaming into the 20th Century outlawed the burka and veil, and the fez.

Now, the increasingly Islamist and regressive Turkish government is disbanding Attaturk’s laws and “allowing” women to wear the veil. We can only wonder how long it will be before women are forced to wear it.

Islamization Watch: 2/24/08 - 3/2/08

I (and Canada) say watch Turkey and demand they address their genocide.

And when they deal with their past genocide of the Armenians AND stop trying to genocide their Kurds AND deal with their minority issues in an un-Islamic way (killing them) AND THEN possibly Harper will stop the demands for them to stand like men and not crawl like others here who wish to turn a blind eye.

Harper does not wish to turn that blind eye.

Hmm..

So all countries that deal with minorities the same way should apologize? Or be responsible for all acts taken by their country even prior to their modern governments? Or should they return the land to people that were previously living on it?

Or are those conditions laid out just for Turkey and not anyone else?

Before 1900 there was no Turkey! But there was a huge Ottoman Empire with the caliphate seated in Istanbul.

Damn you're stupid.

1900%20Spofford%2068%20turkey.jpg

Map of Turkey in the 1800's

So, they called the Empire the Turkish-Ottoman Empire. Turkey has been around for many thousands of years.

Forum List

Back