Will GOP cut spending or not?

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Talking the talk, but not walking the walk. Most know me as a fiscal conservative, and the Cato Institute to be a conservative website. Imagine my surprise when I read this stuff:

" Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) introduced three amendments to the recently passed Energy & Water appropriations bill that would have eliminated a slew of business subsidies at the Department of Energy. Unfortunately, House Republicans once again teamed up with their Democratic colleagues to keep the corporate welfare spigot flowing.

From The Hill:
The largest spending cut proposal came from Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), which would have eliminated the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy account at the Department of Energy and used the $1.45 billion in savings toward deficit reduction. Like other Republicans, McClintock argued that this account needlessly spends money on questionable private investments that have not led to any measurable returns. But the House rejected McClintock’s amendment in a 113-275 vote, in which 113 Republicans voted for it but 107 Republicans joined every Democrat in opposition.

From a second article from The Hill:
Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) proposed ending all nuclear energy research subsidies to private companies, which would have saved $514 million and used that money to lower the deficit. But the House rejected that amendment in a 106-281 vote that divided Republicans 91-134. McClintock also proposed language cutting fossil energy research subsidies, which would have saved $554 million. But the House killed that amendment 138-249, as Republicans split again 102-123. "

And then the kicker:

" An amendment was introduced by Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and McClintock that would have shut down the Department of Energy’s Title 17 loan guarantee program. That’s the program that gave us Solyndra. The amendment failed 136-282 with 127 Republicans joining 155 Democrats to defeat the amendment. That the Republican-led House couldn’t get rid of the program that begot Solyndra is about as low as it gets. "

Republicans Join Democrats to Save Corporate Welfare (Again) | Cato @ Liberty

Don't know what to say. It's an election year, I get that. But for the House, every other year is an election year, when the hell are they going to actually cut this crap?

yeah Im still waiting, The media keeps telling us of how these cuts are hurting, yet they never cut spending. Anyone have the last time spending was less than the year before?

Another story from downsizinggovernment.org, they're kind of an offshoot from CATO. There was an amendment introduced by Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS) to eliminate funding for the Economic Development Administration. Unfortunately, the amendment failed on a vote of 129-279. All 175 Democrats voting joined 104 Republicans in keeping the EDA alive. We're talking about a subsidy program from the 1960s here that is essentially worthless, another bureaucracy.

" Rep. Kristi Noem (R-SD), for example, voted against the Pompeo amendment. But in a column she penned in April, Noem said “Our debt crisis is a result of Washington spending money it doesn’t have and letting our children and grandchildren pick up the tab.” Noem favors a Balance Budget Amendment and says that “Our government must come together and make the tough decisions to secure our nation’s prosperous future.” Really? Noem says tough decisions need to be made but she can’t even get behind the elimination of the EDA.

Noem and 85 other Republicans also voted against Rep. Ben Quayle’s (R-AZ) amendment that would have defunded a new corporate welfare program asked for by President Obama in his fiscal 2013 budget proposal. Thanks to the 86 Republicans in the House, instead of terminating programs, taxpayers will get a new one called the Advanced Manufacturing Technology Consortia program. "

Republicans Help Save the Economic Development Administration | Downsizing the Federal Government

We're not talking big dollar savings here, but we gotta start somewhere. Will a Romney admin make a difference, assuming he's elected and the House remains under repub control? Color me disappointed.

Talking the talk, but not walking the walk. Most know me as a fiscal conservative, and the Cato Institute to be a conservative website. Imagine my surprise when I read this stuff:

" Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) introduced three amendments to the recently passed Energy & Water appropriations bill that would have eliminated a slew of business subsidies at the Department of Energy. Unfortunately, House Republicans once again teamed up with their Democratic colleagues to keep the corporate welfare spigot flowing.

From The Hill:
The largest spending cut proposal came from Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), which would have eliminated the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy account at the Department of Energy and used the $1.45 billion in savings toward deficit reduction. Like other Republicans, McClintock argued that this account needlessly spends money on questionable private investments that have not led to any measurable returns. But the House rejected McClintock’s amendment in a 113-275 vote, in which 113 Republicans voted for it but 107 Republicans joined every Democrat in opposition.

Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) proposed ending all nuclear energy research subsidies to private companies, which would have saved $514 million and used that money to lower the deficit. But the House rejected that amendment in a 106-281 vote that divided Republicans 91-134. McClintock also proposed language cutting fossil energy research subsidies, which would have saved $554 million. But the House killed that amendment 138-249, as Republicans split again 102-123. "

And then the kicker:

" An amendment was introduced by Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and McClintock that would have shut down the Department of Energy’s Title 17 loan guarantee program. That’s the program that gave us Solyndra. The amendment failed 136-282 with 127 Republicans joining 155 Democrats to defeat the amendment. That the Republican-led House couldn’t get rid of the program that begot Solyndra is about as low as it gets. "

Don't know what to say. It's an election year, I get that. But for the House, every other year is an election year, when the hell are they going to actually cut this crap?

Why are you surprised? When was the last time spending was actually cut by Republicans?

From The Hill:

And then the kicker:

Why are you surprised? When was the last time spending was actually cut by Republicans?

I agree, but I am glad Demint and teaprties are putting up primary challengers to hopefully get rid of the country clubbers and get some useful politicians in. One can dream.

From The Hill:

And then the kicker:

I agree, but I am glad Demint and teaprties are putting up primary challengers to hopefully get rid of the country clubbers and get some useful politicians in. One can dream.

People like Rand Paul and Mike Lee are truly interested in cutting spending, but Demint is a fraud.

So the RW keeps putting up BS bills for the dupes while blocking jobs bills they've always been for in the past? A disgrace.

Franco, why didnt the libtards pass a budget when they had the WH, Senate (Fillibuster proof!!!!!!) and house? The democrats block about everything

And what jobs bills? please elaborate.

People like Rand Paul and Mike Lee are truly interested in cutting spending, but Demint is a fraud.

I fail to see how you arrive at a conclusion that Jim DeMint is a fraud. I've been quite pleased with him here and I'm incredibly critical of the waste in our government and all the talk, but no walk, when it comes to reining in spending. DeMint has been one of the loudest voices in the Senate for cutting spending and he has been rankling his own party by supporting primary challengers to big government Republicans.

I fail to see how you arrive at a conclusion that Jim DeMint is a fraud. I've been quite pleased with him here and I'm incredibly critical of the waste in our government and all the talk, but no walk, when it comes to reining in spending. DeMint has been one of the loudest voices in the Senate for cutting spending and he has been rankling his own party by supporting primary challengers to big government Republicans.

How much of our foreign interventionism does he want to cut?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_dIaF1nrQ]Senator Jim DeMint on Ron Paul's Foreign Policy - YouTube[/ame]​

From The Hill:

And then the kicker:

They damn well better start or they're not coming back. Unlike the Union Fleebagger Crybaby Party of WI, we don't hold recalls without criminal behavior or abandonment of duties.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_dIaF1nrQ]Senator Jim DeMint on Ron Paul's Foreign Policy - YouTube[/ame]​

Talk is cheap. When has he voted to or put forth any legislation to end our current wars, or bring the troops home from anywhere else around the world?

From The Hill:

And then the kicker:

*sigh*, I donated and contributed to McClintock's campaign when he ran for cali gov. .......a pox on the gop'ers who voted against this.... slugz.

We keep telling you that voting for either party isn't going to change much. The special interests,lobbies, corps all too intertwined with our government now. Bills are combined with other bills to get them to pass.

If its not entitlements which the right are really for,but not publically, or the military nothing will really get cut. Well except those few real social welfare programs that really impact people.
That's why you vote for tea party candidates who believe in smaller government and destruction of the beltway system.

Reagan doubled Carter's spending and doubled the government work force. Bush doubled Clinton's spending and, through Medicare Part D, made the largest expansion of our entitlement system since LBJ. Republicans always double the spending of Democrats. Everyone knows this except for the morons who listen to Talk Radio and FOX News.

Rightwing icon Milton Friedman, right before he died, lamented Republican control of congress and the presidency. He said the only time Republicans don't spend is when they control congress and the Dems control the White House. When Republicans control the White house and Congress, spending is at its worse. Guess what: in 2012 the GOP will control everything.

They're coming back. And they're going to do what they always do. Spend

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back