Will Coburn run for President?

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said Congress’s deficit spending has become a moral issue surpassing abortion because it saddles future generations with massive debt before they’re born.
“The greatest moral issue of our time isn’t abortion, it’s robbing our next generation of opportunity,” Coburn told reporters at a breakfast meeting Thursday at the National Press Club. “You’re going to save a child from being aborted so they can be born into a debtor’s prison?”
The conservative Republican also criticized his own party, saying voters bounced the GOP from office for their hypocrisy. “It’s not a bad thing power changed last year,” said Coburn, who also criticized President Bush for not doing enough to curb spending.

“He hasn’t been the ideal president when it comes to limited federal spending,” Coburn said.
Coburn, a physician who served in the House before he was elected in 2004, has rankled the collegiality of the Senate by putting roughly 80 holds on bills for new heritage areas. He even placed a hold on a bill designed to close a loophole that allowed Cho Seung-Hui to buy the gun he used in his deadly shooting spree at Virginia Tech this year.

Quizzed about his holds, Coburn reached into his pocket and brought out a card he carries with a printout displaying each of the bills on which he has a hold and its author.

The Virginia Tech shooting is an example, he said, of how lawmakers’ hunger for earmarks has real-world consequences. He said the federal government’s background-check system is authorized for $200 million, but Congress has appropriated only $10 million.

“Did we buy earmarks instead of doing what we were supposed to do?” he said.
TheHill.com - Coburn: Deficit spending is bigger moral issue than abortion

I wish he was a candidate for the Presidency this year. :clap2:

Coburn added a $10 million dollar earmark to a highway bill for a highway exit that the Virginia Department of Transportation HAD NOT EVEN REQUESTED. Why? So his buddy Pat Robertson could build a new subdivision. The earmark was rejected.

Coburn added a $10 million dollar earmark to a highway bill for a highway exit that the Virginia Department of Transportation HAD NOT EVEN REQUESTED. Why? So his buddy Pat Robertson could build a new subdivision. The earmark was rejected.

link?

It was a couple of years ago and I don't have a link, but I live in Va. Beach, and it was big news down here. How could a Senator from Oklahoma put in a $10 million dollar earmark for a highway exit in Virginia that the VDOT did not even want? People here were amazed.

Needless to say without the exit, the subdivision was never built.

It was a couple of years ago and I don't have a link, but I live in Va. Beach, and it was big news down here. How could a Senator from Oklahoma put in a $10 million dollar earmark for a highway exit in Virginia that the VDOT did not even want? People here were amazed.

Sure what year was it?

.: United States Senator Tom Coburn :: Earmark Toolkit :.

“The greatest moral issue of our time isn’t abortion, it’s robbing our next generation of opportunity,” Coburn told reporters at a breakfast meeting Thursday at the National Press Club. “You’re going to save a child from being aborted so they can be born into a debtor’s prison?”

Wow! Great line.

Sounds like something so-called liberals have been suggesting about most so called prolifers for about the last score of years or so.

That they love fetuses, but hate children.

Wow! Great line.

Sounds like something so-called liberals have been suggesting about most so called prolifers for about the last score of years or so.

That they love fetuses, but hate children.

I kind of liked it myself, it shows what the greatest risk to the US is, enveloping debt.

Forum List

Back