Will be in a higher tax bracket this year, woo hoo!

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
I just got my degree and my income has doubled. Looks like with my wifes income, minus the standard deductible and 3 exemptions, we might break into the 25% tax bracket this year.

According to the right - I should be far more saddened by the fact we will be in a higher bracket than by the fact I will be bringing home more money.

But I'm not. The joy of bringing home so much more dough is outweighing the sadness of Uncle Sam taking a slightly bigger chunk of our money. What's wrong with me? I must like money I guess.

In the Wonderful World of Conservatopia, the more you make, the less you'd pay.

Congrats on your new job!

Thanks! Its basically the same as the old job, but I got a PhD now, so I get paid more than double what I made before :)

hey...congratulations!
Very exciting...and a great reward for your hard work.
What is your area of specialty? Are you in academia?

Thanks! Its basically the same as the old job, but I got a PhD now, so I get paid more than double what I made before :)

And as a bonus, now you get to attach Dr. to your name.

That's a real chick magnet if ever there was one.

Unless you have a doctorate in proctology :D

ever wonder about that?

I mean...exactly who, while aged 22 and in medical school....says they want to specialize in proctology?

hey...congratulations!
Thanks!
theoretical astrophysics - which should answer your next question.

hey...congratulations!
Thanks!
theoretical astrophysics - which should answer your next question.

Isn't that what Rajesh Ramayan Koothrappali is?

Wow! That's heady stuff.

Ehhhh... wrong answer, dumbass

I guess you have not heard the calls for equal taxation without exception on every dollar earned by every citizen.... Not that the poor should pay a higher % on any dollar than the rich, nor that the middle class should pay any higher % on every dollar earned than the poor or the rich, and not that the rich should pay any higher % on every dollar earned than the middle class or the poor

Ehhhh... wrong answer, dumbass

I guess you have not heard the calls for equal taxation without exception on every dollar earned by every citizen.... Not that the poor should pay a higher % on any dollar than the rich, nor that the middle class should pay any higher % on every dollar earned than the poor or the rich, and not that the rich should pay any higher % on every dollar earned than the middle class or the poor

Yeah we heard 9-9-9 - over and over for a while. That "call" went away.

I'm fine with paying higher rates on the top end of my income because for years I benefited from paying lower rates on all of my income - I benefited from the education tax credits - I even was able to claim a tiny EITC back when I was like 19 - so now that I've enjoyed the benefits I got from the tax system, I'm ready to chip in a little more so that hopefully others who are presently where I was in the past can benefit.

Anyone who is presently rich either

a) was NOT rich the day they turned 18 and for a period of time, as they advanced themselves, enjoyed lower tax rates - perhaps not even paying any taxes some years

OR

b) was rich the day they turned 18, which means they were either particular talented as children or, in most all ca
ses, they were born rich - in which case, the "fairness" argument breaks into bits.

Last edited:
Sorry... I think equal treatment is just as important for the poor as it is for the rich as it is for everyone in between...

This 'progressive' system brings nothing but class warfare and a way for the pols to hold things over the heads of voters for the sake of power for promises...

I will continue to call for a straight flat tax with zero exceptions and zero loopholes on every citizen for every single dollar earned

Forum List

Back