Will an overcrowded GOP field hurt their 2016 chances?

I'm not sure a lot of people understand what I'm asking. It's not whether or not multiple choices is a good idea, but whether or not the beating they take during the primaries by their own party is good. We saw it during the 2012 primaries when it was "anybody but Romney". It had to sour many GOP voters towards his campaign. Is it a good idea for any party to have so many of their own people trying to destroy their character leading up to the general election?

We are barely out of the gate and the GOP already has a few confirmed candidates, and more are sure to announce their run. Is this a good thing for the GOP? How different are any of their stances? In my opinion, an overcrowded GOP field will be a detriment. They will spend the primaries destroying each other, and come the general elections the nominee will be damaged goods to independents and more than a few GOP voters. In recent years it seems the GOP has thrown out too many candidates at one time.
I can't see how, there isn't much difference between any of them.

We are barely out of the gate and the GOP already has a few confirmed candidates, and more are sure to announce their run. Is this a good thing for the GOP? How different are any of their stances? In my opinion, an overcrowded GOP field will be a detriment. They will spend the primaries destroying each other, and come the general elections the nominee will be damaged goods to independents and more than a few GOP voters. In recent years it seems the GOP has thrown out too many candidates at one time.

If the GOP's who aren't RINO candidates have sense enough not to destroy each other we will do OK.

By that I mean like not having Romney operatives trashing Herman Cain and giving obscure broads scripts to take him down only to disappear back into obscurity where they belong.

I am certain Jeb and Crispy lack the morals to not spin lies in order to take down superior candidates and that's why I hope those who aren't RINOs band together and take down the establishment leviathan.

The democrook will be easier no matter who it is.

It only taxes the brain of the weak minded...like the dems who accept the leftover they are given.

It doesn't matter unless one thing happens:

One of them decides to go 3rd party. Paul/Cruz start a 3rd party and it's all over.

Huckabee could do that. In fact, just 3 months ago, he threatened to do just that.
I'm not sure how many votes Huckster would pull from the GOP nominee. Cruz & Paul could get 5% without breaking a sweat.

Indeed. In fact, I think the Paulians could make life very hard for the GOP if Rand is not at least offered the VP slot.

I could see Cruz blowing it up before Paul but both are loose cannons.

I think it does.

last time there were people running that I had never heard of and the media just ignored who they didn't want to have running.

games rigged anyway, it will be Female (D) as next Pres.

leftist have learned they don't need or want Congress to get things done their way.

The list of who is NOT running is fast becoming shorter than the list of candidates but, just as in the last two generals, its their individual message that will take each of them down.

There isn't one of them whose platform is not harmful to the people and/or the country.
such bigotry and you got thanked by other bigots.

Is it any wonder why we lost freedoms?

GOP hasn't really seen any real candidates. We have a wetback, a canadan, a n1gger, a female, a fat boy and Rand Paul.

I'm not sure a lot of people understand what I'm asking. It's not whether or not multiple choices is a good idea, but whether or not the beating they take during the primaries by their own party is good. We saw it during the 2012 primaries when it was "anybody but Romney". It had to sour many GOP voters towards his campaign. Is it a good idea for any party to have so many of their own people trying to destroy their character leading up to the general election?

aaronleland - I would say it depends on how they beat up on each other. As to the "anyone but Romney", that apparently did not keep him from getting his base vote, because Romney still scored the second highest raw vote total for a Republican in all of history, behind Bush 43 in 2004. Actually, I think a part of it was some of the crowd reaction at a number of debates.

Ron Paul (Alien Flouride Conspiracy, TX) was asked at a debate about a health care scenario:

a 30 year old man, independently wealthy, who CHOSE to not buy his own health insurance. Then, he got a catastrophic illness and no one would cover him. The question was: 'should we let him die', to which Ron Paul answered, essentially "yes, he chose to not get health insurance when he could' and the crowd roared 'let him die' and cheered for Paul.

Essentially, on a base level, I think Paul was right. Because Obamacare is not designed for the independently wealthy who can and who should have already gotten a nice private health insurance plan a long time ago.

But the energy that came out of that crowd made the whole thing look very, very ugly. The Left and the press (even the press on the Right) took the ball and ran with it, but during the debate, not one single candidate had the balls to make sure to discern what Ron Paul actually said. I am convinced that they were innerly calculating that the whole thing would make Paul look bad, but at the end of the day, when all was said and done, it made them ALL look bad.

Same thing for the video question mailed in by a very burly US Soldier who was gay. As soon as he indicated that he was gay, the crowd at the debate ROARED ugly noises and NO GOP candidate had the balls to talk it down. They engaged in platitudes, but again, the damage was done.

THIS is why, I believe, that the GOP handlers want to shorten the number of debates and limit the number of participants in each debate.

So, from my point of view, it wasn't just the "anybody but Romney" syndrome (which was real until he actually got the nomination). It was the candidates' lack of finess and discernment during the debates themselves, especially across from an audience that was far more knuckle-dragging than they expected it to be.

:D

I'm beginning to wonder if Jeb is just gonna waltz in. I'll bet he thought he was going to.

I saw him doing an interview and he had the same familiar mannerism as his brother - slight smile while talking and nodding head up and down.

Fuck, I had to change the channel. No thanks.

I'm beginning to wonder if Jeb is just gonna waltz in. I'll bet he thought he was going to.

I saw him doing an interview and he had the same familiar mannerism as his brother - slight smile while talking and nodding head up and down.

And in a Clinton vs. Bush (III) redux, I think it's pretty obvious who is going to win.

It doesn't matter unless one thing happens:

One of them decides to go 3rd party. Paul/Cruz start a 3rd party and it's all over.

Huckabee could do that. In fact, just 3 months ago, he threatened to do just that.
I'm not sure how many votes Huckster would pull from the GOP nominee. Cruz & Paul could get 5% without breaking a sweat.

Indeed. In fact, I think the Paulians could make life very hard for the GOP if Rand is not at least offered the VP slot.

I could see Cruz blowing it up before Paul but both are loose cannons.

And that's putting it charitably. Don't forget: Cruz and Paul supporters will also be at the debates!!!

And in a Clinton vs. Bush (III) redux, I think it's pretty obvious who is going to win.
Hillary's candidacy is unique, and fascinating. It's this non-stop, nasty, rolling, rambling circus of drama and deception and stink and mistrust and yeah, I'd agree that she'd probably win. There is just so much baggage and history and shit that it is all essentially cancelling itself out. She's like a reality television villain who a lot of people love to hate.

I'd sure like to see another Dem get the nomination.

Last edited:
If they all run negative campaigns against each other it could hurt them.

And if they go negative on the kunt she'll just play the sympathy card. Bill better watch out. You never know what an evil bitch like her will do.

Hillary's candidacy is unique, and fascinating. It's this non-stop, nasty, rolling, rambling circus of drama and deception and stink and mistrust and yeah, I'd agree that she'd probably win. There is just so much baggage and history and shit that it is all essentially cancelling itself out. She's like a reality television villain who a lot of people love to hate.

I'd sure like to see another Dem get the nomination.

When you've been the target of the opposition since 1992--nearly 25 years--and have taken the beating she has taken, one could only expect that she looks less clean than others. Warranted or not.

I'm less worried about the baggage than her lackluster campaigning skills. She doesn't appear comfortable on the trail and looks like she has never campaigned before at times.

Forum List

Back