Will a failed presidency push racism backward?

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
Will an Obama presidency failure such as we saw with President Carter set racism backward in the US? The media has built this Obama up to be so much perhaps it will set things back. This is not intended to be critical of Obama with whom I did not vote for. I personally feel it is great to have a black president but worry about the consequences of having a "failure black president".

I think way too many expectations are being put on the Obama presidency. I think if he crashes really badly it will hurt blacks in general. It shouldn't, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think way too many expectations are being put on the Obama presidency. I think if he crashes really badly it will hurt blacks in general. It shouldn't, but it wouldn't surprise me.

agreed--he has some huge expectations to meet---wouldn't wanna be in those shoes.

Very true, the expectations are not only huge, but, very unrealistic, but you know, Obama played a large part in creating that.

As for racism, Obama in the last couple years IMO has revived it, not helped to bring it down. Again, his doing, no one else's.

Not in my book, If he fails it's because he made people believe very high expectations (promises) that I didn't beleive he could make to begin with. It's why I voted against him. His failure won't reflect on his race, just his inability to carry out his promises. According to the left though color matters, they have repeatedly pointed out that the Republican party is a failure and is made up of old white people,, they are the racists.

I think there were a few white guilt voters, very few. I think there were few black celebration voters, very few, (I'm talking would normally have not voted Democrat or for a 'white' Obama.) Most of his voters voted for the man and what he led them to believe were his policies.

If he fails, it will be because of his policies or the failure to carry them out. In any case, the 'historical ramifications' will remain his; just as no one wonders any longer if a Catholic can be elected in this country.

Will an Obama presidency failure such as we saw with President Carter set racism backward in the US? The media has built this Obama up to be so much perhaps it will set things back. This is not intended to be critical of Obama with whom I did not vote for. I personally feel it is great to have a black president but worry about the consequences of having a "failure black president".

Fail? He can't fail. He is Superman. He will probably just blame his problems on the Bush administration. That should get him to a second term.

Attachments

• $obama-superman.jpg
    $obama-superman.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 134
If you blame any missteps on the fact that he's black, yes, any failure will more than likely prove to you that there is something inferior about blacks.

I think there were a few white guilt voters, very few. I think there were few black celebration voters, very few, (I'm talking would normally have not voted Democrat or for a 'white' Obama.) Most of his voters voted for the man and what he led them to believe were his policies.

If he fails, it will be because of his policies or the failure to carry them out. In any case, the 'historical ramifications' will remain his; just as no one wonders any longer if a Catholic can be elected in this country.

I disagree as I feel there were a tremendous number that voted for him because he was black. I just feel that the tremendous build up of this man could have a negative affect on race as I feel this was a major reason he was elected.

I don't think Obama's presidency in and of itself, whether successful or not, will damage race relations. What will damage them is for his administration to tolerate things like the preacher's benediction extorting that "white would do what's right" and Robert Reich and company saying that the jobs shouldn't go to "white, male construction workers". If those type of things are allowed to continue, then you'll see a push back.

i think the topic the OP was trying to attempt was "will a failed Obama presidency push race relations backwards"

i surely hope not
the last thing we need is to revert to pre civil rights act times

Very true, the expectations are not only huge, but, very unrealistic, but you know, Obama played a large part in creating that. (HOW)

As for racism, Obama in the last couple years IMO has revived it, not helped to bring it down. Again, his doing, no one else's.
(HOW)

Please fill this in with facts not just opnions. I find both statements blatantly incorrect.

His success or failure will have little to do with racism, why? Because people that are heavily racist do not consider facts or reality. They hate for what is an ignorant reason. Everyone has some racism in them. But the ones that live by it are not going to be changed by his success or failure.

I don't think Obama's presidency in and of itself, whether successful or not, will damage race relations. What will damage them is for his administration to tolerate things like the preacher's benediction extorting that "white would do what's right" and Robert Reich and company saying that the jobs shouldn't go to "white, male construction workers". If those type of things are allowed to continue, then you'll see a push back.

Agree.

He's crafty, Obama, so I'll be interested to see how he handles that kind of stuff. If he's smart, he'll rein it in. But he's also already showing glimmers of black arrogance (telling the white reporter to get out of his face), which is the countervailing force. That kind of shit will make even "non-racist" whites angry.

Forum List

Back