Wilkins Ice Shelf breaking away from Antarctica

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
CNN) -- A large ice shelf is "imminently" close to breaking away from part of the Antarctic Peninsula, scientists said Friday.

Scientists are investigating whether the ice breakup is caused by global climate change.

Satellite images released by the European Space Agency on Friday show new cracks in the Wilkins Ice Shelf where it connects to Charcot Island, a piece of land considered part of the peninsula.

The cracks are quickly expanding, the ESA said.

Scientists are investigating the causes for the breakups and whether it is linked to global climate change.

The Wilkins Ice Shelf -- a large mass of floating ice -- would still be connected to Latady Island, which is also part of the peninsula, and Alexander Island, which is not, said professor David Vaughan, a glaciologist at the British Antarctic Survey.

The ice shelf experienced a great amount of changes last year, the ESA said.

In February 2008, the shelf dropped 164 square miles (425 square kilometers) of ice. In May it lost a 62-square-mile chunk.

That meant the "bridge" of ice connecting Wilkins to the islands was just 984 yards wide at its narrowest location, the ESA said.

Further rifts developed in October and November, said Angelika Humbert of the Institute of Geophysics at Germany's Muenster University.

"During the last year the ice shelf has lost about 1800 square kilometers (694 square miles), or about 14 percent of its size," Humbert said.

Antarctica's ice sheet was formed over thousands of years by accumulated and compacted snow. Along the coast, the ice gradually floats on the sea, forming massive ledges known as ice shelves, the ESA says.

Several of these ice shelves, including seven in the past 20 years, have retreated and disintegrated.

Large ice shelf expected to break from Antarctica - CNN.com

Ah yes, the old Wilkins gruffle n shuffle story is back yet again!

And just in time for the impending cap n trade debate coming up in Congress - imagine that!

We should all make peace with our Maker folks - .39% of the current ice sheet is showing signs of jumping off! And pay no mind to the other thousands of acres of increasing ice sheets in the far more vast (and cooling) areas of the Antarctic. No - we must concentrate on this particular example because those falling sheets of ice make for great entertainment and the perfect PR tool for the global warming industry!

Yes indeed, that's .39% of the Antarctic ice sheet showing some strain.

How could we not get in a complete tissy about that??????

CNN) -- A large ice shelf is "imminently" close to breaking away from part of the Antarctic Peninsula, scientists said Friday.

Scientists are investigating whether the ice breakup is caused by global climate change.

Large ice shelf expected to break from Antarctica - CNN.com

why don't you and the millwright head on down with a couple of caulking guns and some liquid nails? that stuff'll bond anything.

Some of us like the idea of global warming.

I seriously don't like cold weather or cold water.

I'm a surfer, and with warmer water comes more comfort and larger storms, generating better surfing conditions.

The consequences of global warming are not a big deal. The planet itself doesn't care. It'll hold up just fine with or without us.

Global warming is an issue about people, not temperature.

Listen, I'm a fairly liberal guy. At least, I can honestly say I never voted for a single Republican in my life (and never will) except in the primaries from time to time, trying to throw the election this way or that.

So, with that said, I'll listen to Al Gore the day he demolishes his mansion and builds a 1500 square foot, solar-heated home, along with growing acres of corn and other fruits/veggies on his estate.

How can anyone take him seriously when his house is 5 times the size of everyone else's house?

He's a fat cat.

And besides, everyone talks about global warming, ice shelves, etc., but they rarely talk about the consequences of global warming. All they can show you is a what-if map of New York, Miami, etc. underwater.

First, it would take a hundred years.

Secondly, levies.

Thirdly, so what? Make another city a little farther inland.

Why is a warm planet a bad thing?

It's not.

So it rains in the desert and dries up in Maui.

So what.

are you gonna tell Al on them, fuckstain?

So once again you prove yourself to be a foul mouthed ignoramous. What else is new?

I'm fairly intelligent. I just enjoy being foul mouthed with you paranoid "sky is falling" Gore-bots.

Every single government onnthe planet, every major established scientific organization, and every single leader of every developed nation recognizes it as a problem. So did McCain, George Bush, and Newt Gingrich.

You are a denialist. You're an extremist, and you are in a tiny and vanishing minority of flat earthers.

Listen, I'm a fairly liberal guy. At least, I can honestly say I never voted for a single Republican in my life (and never will) except in the primaries from time to time, trying to throw the election this way or that.

So, with that said, I'll listen to Al Gore the day he demolishes his mansion and builds a 1500 square foot, solar-heated home, along with growing acres of corn and other fruits/veggies on his estate.

How can anyone take him seriously when his house is 5 times the size of everyone else's house?

He's a fat cat.

And besides, everyone talks about global warming, ice shelves, etc., but they rarely talk about the consequences of global warming. All they can show you is a what-if map of New York, Miami, etc. underwater.

First, it would take a hundred years.

Secondly, levies.

Thirdly, so what? Make another city a little farther inland.

Why is a warm planet a bad thing?

It's not.

So it rains in the desert and dries up in Maui.

So what.

What we are talking about is the effect of global warming on agriculture, for a start. And the sea level rise is going to be giving us trouble in my lifetime, and I will be eligible for full SS this year.

Already, this year, we are seeing the effects of the droughts in California, Texas, Australia, and China. A 20% to 40% drop in world food production is entirely possible. And we have a world population of nearly 7 billion.

I'm fairly intelligent. I just enjoy being foul mouthed with you paranoid "sky is falling" Gore-bots.

Thus far, I have yet to see any sign of that.

Right, because I don't agree with you. another reason for the venom is the fact that chris has disprespected veterans on here more than once.

No, because you have not posted anything that even resembles a rational arguement for your views.

And, whatever Chris's views on Veterans are, it has nothing at all to do with the reality of global warming and it's effects.

Thus far, I have yet to see any sign of that.

Right, because I don't agree with you. another reason for the venom is the fact that chris has disprespected veterans on here more than once.

No, because you have not posted anything that even resembles a rational arguement for your views.

And, whatever Chris's views on Veterans are, it has nothing at all to do with the reality of global warming and it's effects.

I never said it had anything to do with it. I've posted rational arguments that you're too fucking arrogant and ignorant to listen to.

Forum List

Back