Wildfires up dramatically, climate change suspected as cause

They know the occassional burn clearing lands is good. They did it themselves back in the 1700 & 1800's, according to Lewis & Clark.
What's your solution? Cut all the forest down, abolish the forest service and build cities there???? Doesn't sound very wise.

I've always been in favor of giving all the BLM lands and some of the ForestServ lands back to the Indian nations. They would be better stewards of that national treasure. Might make up for the all the money that disappeared from the Indian Trust Fund accounts..

Last edited:
Wildfires: More flames, higher costs - CNN.com

Climate Change

The Forest Service report cites climate change for the increased wildfires.

Other government reports have concluded the same.

"Climate change has led to fire seasons that are now on average 78 days longer than in 1970," according to the Forest Service report. "The U.S. burns twice as many acres as three decades ago and Forest Service scientists believe the acreage burned may double again by midcentury."

The U.S. Global Change Research Program predicted that wildfires will increase, especially in the Southwest.

"These changes are often driven by multiple factors, including changes in temperature and drought patterns, wildfire, invasive species and pests," the report said.

Yeah, here in eastern WA we had record heat in June and July. Now it's like a nuclear winter with all this smoke.

I tell you admiral when you decide to make a dumb post you go full retard. No, what we are saying is now that it has gotten out of control the FS needs to PAY people to go in and clear out the excess fuel load.

They just can't seem to make up their minds. Fire is bad. No, it's good. Oh wait, it's bad again. No, it's good. Let it burn. No, stop it from burning. Manage the forests. Wait, no, forest management is evil.

You know with trucks and chainsaws and the like. Far better, and cheaper to do that, than to have it all burn up.

That's right, clear brush from the whole continent. And keep doing so forever. That's a very realistic plan.

Of course you have to convince the envirowhackos not to sue them when they try and do it.

Environmentalists are proud of fixing the awful policies that you still try to push. And we understand how the success of our work makes you hate us.

Thursday, December 6, 2007
Environmental group sues U.S. Forest Service over fire management plans

Environmental group sues U.S. Forest Service over fire management plans - WildEarth Guardians

One consistent thing about Westwall is how he's usually too lazy to read his own links.

----
He also says the plans call for putting out fires even when letting them burn would be better for the landscape and for the agency's budget.
---

So, Westwall here is spitting hate at a group because they want to let more wildfires burn naturally. He's apparently a major defender the disastrous no-burn policies.

Interesting, Mr. Flacaltenn. Quite obviously you have never set foot in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness Area. Most of it is too rugged and the trees are too small for profitiable logging. Untouchable by human hands? Look, you little nutless coach potato, I have walked all over the Strawberry Wilderness. There are lakes that are good fishing, cougers, bear, California Big horn, elk, mule deer, marmot, mink, martin, wild turkey, and many, many more interesting creatures to be seen. The surrounding is the Malhuer National Forest, and the Ponderosa Pine has been logged there, selective logged, about every ten years. Much of the area is like walking in a park. And people hunt in the national forest, people graze cattle, and there are many other recreational activities.

However, right now, the area there and in the Greenhorns is bone dry, high temperatures, occasionally high winds. In that environment, one spark, and you have an inferno. Where there is already a fire, you have to keep the people miles distant. The Canyon Creek Complex, when it started, lightning strike, with high winds, was spotting two miles ahead of the main fire. Anyone that has fought fires understands the dangers of that.

Along Canyon Creek, along which is mostly private land, is where most of the homes were lost. And if you look at the map, that is down the middle of the fire, not the perimeter. And it was stopped right at the city limits of Canyon City.

I ran across an insightful facebook post made by somebody who was raised in the midst...

This area once sported one of the world's largest saw mills, supplying lumber to this great country. At the same time, hundreds of ranches ran thousands of head of beef cattle, under that same forest, supplying beef to hundreds of thousands of people. The mill provided good paying jobs to thousands of loggers, millworkers and supporting personnel. Ranchers provided jobs to cowboys, farmers, equipm...ent dealers, and many more. Now we sport one of the largest populations of unemployment and food stamps.

Caving to pressure from environmental groups and others, the "managing agencies" of our lands have removed all but a very few head of livestock. They have removed almost all timber harvesting. The mills are gone. One small mill struggles to find enough timber to keep there doors open.

Now every summer we get to watch hundreds of thousands of board feet of valuable timber go up in smoke, not to mention tons of rich grass that would have fattened thousands of pounds of beef.

The very worst, and most insulting part of all this, is they think that you are dumb enough to believe them when they tell you this is all because of "global warming."
How stupid do you think Americans are? - Tom Schaefer, fb post.
For damned sure, most are not as stupid as you and Tom. We logged way ahead of growth in th '80's. And now, although we have lot's of trees, we have lot's of short trees. And, of course, as predicted, a warming climate, with shorter winters and longer summers dry the forests out, and make them more fire prone. Exactly what we are seeing now.

Guam-from-air.jpg

^ Guam: above water and upright

Interesting, Mr. Flacaltenn. Quite obviously you have never set foot in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness Area. Most of it is too rugged and the trees are too small for profitiable logging. Untouchable by human hands? Look, you little nutless coach potato, I have walked all over the Strawberry Wilderness. There are lakes that are good fishing, cougers, bear, California Big horn, elk, mule deer, marmot, mink, martin, wild turkey, and many, many more interesting creatures to be seen. The surrounding is the Malhuer National Forest, and the Ponderosa Pine has been logged there, selective logged, about every ten years. Much of the area is like walking in a park. And people hunt in the national forest, people graze cattle, and there are many other recreational activities.

However, right now, the area there and in the Greenhorns is bone dry, high temperatures, occasionally high winds. In that environment, one spark, and you have an inferno. Where there is already a fire, you have to keep the people miles distant. The Canyon Creek Complex, when it started, lightning strike, with high winds, was spotting two miles ahead of the main fire. Anyone that has fought fires understands the dangers of that.

Along Canyon Creek, along which is mostly private land, is where most of the homes were lost. And if you look at the map, that is down the middle of the fire, not the perimeter. And it was stopped right at the city limits of Canyon City.

Agreed about Canyon Creek.. They were embedded within the National Forest. I was referring to the Wilderness area near John Day. No roads or private land embedded there for sure.

BTW -- Spent several summers with my college buds up between the Snake and Salmon in Idaho. Rolling and hiking a LOT of that area with BLM and FS folks for days at a time. One was a river ranger another was forest management. Wild times.. Used to get pissed about the riverside parties which thoroughly trashed the place. But by packing time -- there wasn't a bottle cap or burnt underwear or cracker crumb in sight.

Agreed about Canyon Creek.. They were embedded within the National Forest. I was referring to the Wilderness area near John Day. No roads or private land embedded there for sure.

BTW -- Spent several summers with my college buds up between the Snake and Salmon in Idaho. Rolling and hiking a LOT of that area with BLM and FS folks for days at a time. One was a river ranger another was forest management. Wild times.. Used to get pissed about the riverside parties which thoroughly trashed the place. But by packing time -- there wasn't a bottle cap or burnt underwear or cracker crumb in sight.

Sounds like a lot of good times!!! Most people are very conscious of their environment when it comes down to it......but then we have this mental case fringe of human racists that would shit the bit if there was one Saltine cracker left behind.:spinner::spinner:

Environmental nutjobs.........little did I know when I was young they would end up bringing me profound levels of giddy and laughter when I got older!!:up:

Forum List

Back