Wild Game

R

RightyRightOn

I live in an area where venison, small game, fowl and freshwater fish are abundant. Also morels and asparagus grow in my backyard. I need good recipes for any and all.

Here is a simple one for you:

Sweet Sauce for Venison

saute canned muchrooms and unions in butter and garlic
strain and add red currant and red cooking wine

stupid cat jumped on my keyboard

anyway,

the amount of wine and currant is up to you depending on how thick you want the sauce.

simmer till it begins to bubble and pour on the venison steaks.

It's not all that good with beef, but excellent for whitetail, mule deer and elk

Don't have many elk running around in NJ!!!!

Morels and asparagus in your backyard. That would be fantastic.

Here is one for upland game birds: (grouse, phesant, quail you know what I mean)

Grilled Game Bird - insert you bird of choice :) - with Maple Glaze

This recipe will require you to use the whole bird with skin still on.

Ingredients:

Game bird 1 or 2 depending of the size
Vegetable oil as needed
Trimming from bird (bones) all
Yellow onions small dice 4 oz
Celery small dice 4oz
Carrots small dice 4oz
Chicken broth(stock) 1.5 cups
Beef broth(stock) .5 cups
Salt (kosher) to taste
Black pepper fresh cracked to taste

Real maple syrup 3 oz
Fresh thyme leaves 2 sprigs

Method:

1. Using whole dressed bird, remove the back bone and rib cage, remove first joint of the wings and legs and set aside. Cut bird in half length wise.
2. Place bird(s) skin side up on sheet pan with a rack, rub oil onto top side of the bird, season with salt and pepper.
3. Place into a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes , remove from oven and cool. The birds will not be fully cooked yet.

For the glaze:
1. Roast excess bones and trim on a sheet pan in 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until dark in color but not burnt.
2. Saute onions, celery and carrots in sauce pot until carmelized, add stock and bones.
3. Simmer (low heat) stock until reduce to about 1 cup.
4. Strain and dregrease the liquid. Thicken with small amount of cornstarch slurry.
5. Add maple syrup.

Finish the birds on outdoor grill, brushing on the maple glaze. Caution when doing so, the sugar in the glaze will cause some flare up. It is handy to have a spray bottle with water to put out any excessieve flare.

sounds good, I will try it soon.

I'm lucky, I can eat as much asparagus and morels as I want. Morels grow like crazy in May when the lilacs bloom. I find many grocery bags full! I eat them until I get sick and then I eat more.

I was unaware there was an animal named venison.
The word used to be used to describe the meat of a wild animal while now it usually means deer meat...

Forum List

Back