WikiLeaks reveals that Arab allies urged U.S. to strike Iran

NYT: Arab allies urged U.S. to strike Iran - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
By David E. Sanger, James Glanz and Jo Becker
The New York Times
updated 11/28/2010 3:45:17 PM ET 2010-11-28T20:45:17

I've been glancing at this crap on and off most of the day.

In late May 2009, Israel’s defense minister, Ehud Barak, used a visit from a Congressional delegation to send a pointed message to the new American president.

In a secret cable sent back to Washington, the American ambassador to Israel, James B. Cunningham, reported that Mr. Barak had argued that the world had 6 to 18 months “in which stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons might still be viable.” After that, Mr. Barak said, “any military solution would result in unacceptable collateral damage.”

His plea was shared by many of America’s Arab allies, including the powerful King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, who according to another cable repeatedly implored Washington to “cut off the head of the snake” while there was still time.

I been thinking and thinking; Why oh why don't THEY work together and go to war with Iran themselves?

Are these "people" so selfish that they want Americans to die in thier stead?
Are they all a bunch of cowards?

How can Arabs and Jews agree that Iran needs to be crushed, but won't do anything?

I've never been a fan of Israel and could care less about our Arab allies, but that would take effort. But I don't see why we keep supporting them when they want us to die to do thier dirty work?

i propose an analogy: if you call the police when there is a problem, the police are empowered.

this is the sort of power which american policy has sought since tripoli.

Hmm

Ok then. Why have we not gone in? It would be a conventional war. [men in uniform killing men in different uniforms] And that is something we can do better than any country out there.

I'm not discounting the fact that people will be killed, I'm considering that fewer people will die than if we wait until after Iran gets a nuke.

the prospect of 'going in' seems logical to you?

notwithstanding the fact that we garner our status from military influence, certainly you can appreciate that we could 'go in' to NK, about 12 african states, the russian federation, cuba, venezuela and canada (;)). the point being that we have to pick our battles. diplomacy is the tool that having a big military and massive trade capacity affords us. using the big military at the expense of the trade capacity has been the mistake of the century thus far in that it exposes the frailties behind our big punch.

if i were to do something to iran, it wont be an invasion in a third theater. that's probably why arabs and israelis beg and we say no like a mom in the candy aisle at the grocery store.

the prospect of 'going in' seems logical to you? No. That's why I asked the question. And gave an example of how it might turn out.

notwithstanding the fact that we garner our status from military influence, certainly you can appreciate that we could 'go in' to NK, about 12 african states, the russian federation, cuba, venezuela and canada (;)). Invade Canada? OK, but only the French Canadians b/c they don't talk like us at all. :eusa_drool: the point being that we have to pick our battles. diplomacy is the tool that having a big military and massive trade capacity affords us. using the big military at the expense of the trade capacity has been the mistake of the century thus far in that it exposes the frailties behind our big punch.

if i were to do something to iran, it wont be an invasion in a third theater. that's probably why arabs and israelis beg and we say no like a mom in the candy aisle at the grocery store.

So you think it may be intentional to get us to waste more of our resouces? The war must be great for the oil shieks, b/c it raises demand on thier #1 product.

We could bomb Iran back into the bronze age in 2 months.

yyeeaahh

But!

We would have to listen to people whine and cry about all those "innocent civilians".

They keep many of the military supplies and bases 'in' civilian areas, so we can't avoid killing bystaders.

There are no innocent civilians in Iran. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

Well in that case we can make most of the region unlivable for decades to come!

Muhaha

yyeeaahh

But!

We would have to listen to people whine and cry about all those "innocent civilians".

They keep many of the military supplies and bases 'in' civilian areas, so we can't avoid killing bystaders.

Muhaha

I don't have a problem with that.

yyeeaahh

But!

Muhaha

I've been to the region and it already is unlivable.

NYT: Arab allies urged U.S. to strike Iran - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
By David E. Sanger, James Glanz and Jo Becker
The New York Times
updated 11/28/2010 3:45:17 PM ET 2010-11-28T20:45:17

I've been glancing at this crap on and off most of the day.

In late May 2009, Israel’s defense minister, Ehud Barak, used a visit from a Congressional delegation to send a pointed message to the new American president.

In a secret cable sent back to Washington, the American ambassador to Israel, James B. Cunningham, reported that Mr. Barak had argued that the world had 6 to 18 months “in which stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons might still be viable.” After that, Mr. Barak said, “any military solution would result in unacceptable collateral damage.”

His plea was shared by many of America’s Arab allies, including the powerful King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, who according to another cable repeatedly implored Washington to “cut off the head of the snake” while there was still time.

I been thinking and thinking; Why oh why don't THEY work together and go to war with Iran themselves?Are these "people" so selfish that they want Americans to die in thier stead?
Are they all a bunch of cowards?

How can Arabs and Jews agree that Iran needs to be crushed, but won't do anything?

I've never been a fan of Israel and could care less about our Arab allies, but that would take effort. But I don't see why we keep supporting them when they want us to die to do thier dirty work?

Obviously they izz cowards.

the prospect of 'going in' seems logical to you? No. That's why I asked the question. And gave an example of how it might turn out.

notwithstanding the fact that we garner our status from military influence, certainly you can appreciate that we could 'go in' to NK, about 12 african states, the russian federation, cuba, venezuela and canada (;)). Invade Canada? OK, but only the French Canadians b/c they don't talk like us at all. :eusa_drool: the point being that we have to pick our battles. diplomacy is the tool that having a big military and massive trade capacity affords us. using the big military at the expense of the trade capacity has been the mistake of the century thus far in that it exposes the frailties behind our big punch.

So you think it may be intentional to get us to waste more of our resouces? The war must be great for the oil shieks, b/c it raises demand on thier #1 product.

it could be sinister, but the arabs and israelis recognize iran as a serious liability to them. this is the same sort of recognition that saddam got. i just feel that we were more pliable in 2003 and cheaper in terms of concessions needed to get us mobilized. it is easy to blame this wholly on bush, and he does deserve to wear the diplomatic dunce cap for the eager invasion of iraq, but there was also 9/11 and the massive american war mandate behind him, too.

these concerns entail twisting screws in iran's side and in the arab's, too. something like, remember when we were asking you bastards to increase production? what have you done for me lately?

effecting military impotence without invasion would be the goal with any US-iran action, but i dont think anything like that is in our interest on a cost/benefit basis. another perspective is that this is just the sort of guantlet we've seen nuclear states go through as they obtained the bomb. after they've got it, they're in an old-boys club and everything's (uneasy) smiles. look at pakistan, india, china, south africa...

Of course the Saudi's want us to take care of the big problem they see looming on the horizen.

Nuclear Iran.

As stated on the board the Saudi's would be in the background urging the US on and then condem our actions to the rest of the Arab world.

I just wonder how long Isreal will sit still for nuclear Iran??

Oh wait. I forgot. According the Akmadinaasshole they will only use nuclear power for peacefull purposes. Yeah Right.

Last edited:

Muhaha

HAHAHA

I was on a sub-tender that pulled into Alexandria Egypt. As we approached I was on deck b/c I wanted to see this legendary city, (it was a tannish brown). As we approached the break water, I say these brown tentacles coming out of the port area into the Med. It was the filth that was the run off from the city. the break water was a brown and blue line. The Med was blue, the port was brown. And that is what kids played in and people bathed in.

it could be sinister, but the arabs and israelis recognize iran as a serious liability to them. this is the same sort of recognition that saddam got. i just feel that we were more pliable in 2003 and cheaper in terms of concessions needed to get us mobilized. it is easy to blame this wholly on bush, and he does deserve to wear the diplomatic dunce cap for the eager invasion of iraq, but there was also 9/11 and the massive american war mandate behind him, too.

these concerns entail twisting screws in iran's side and in the arab's, too. something like, remember when we were asking you bastards to increase production? what have you done for me lately?

effecting military impotence without invasion would be the goal with any US-iran action, but i dont think anything like that is in our interest on a cost/benefit basis. another perspective is that this is just the sort of guantlet we've seen nuclear states go through as they obtained the bomb. after they've got it, they're in an old-boys club and everything's (uneasy) smiles. look at pakistan, india, china, south africa...

Seems like we are in a catch-22.

We can't afford or support another war.
We, or anyone, wants a nuclear Iran.
No else will do anyting.
Everyone wants us to do it.
If we did go in before hand, we had better have a better reason than just b/c we didn't want them to have the bomb.

Oh well, looks like the people with the most to lose will have to do something. Too bad only Israel has the balls, but w/o our backing they will be hung out to dry. So now they won't make a move.

So Iran gets the bomb. since Ahmadinnerjacket is a 12th Iman, how many millions do you think will die?

I heard a comment last night to the effect that one of the good things coming out of the leaks is how much of the Middle East is concerned about Iran getting nukes, and how little they seem to care about Israeli settlements.

Muhaha

HAHAHA

I was on a sub-tender that pulled into Alexandria Egypt. As we approached I was on deck b/c I wanted to see this legendary city, (it was a tannish brown). As we approached the break water, I say these brown tentacles coming out of the port area into the Med. It was the filth that was the run off from the city. the break water was a brown and blue line. The Med was blue, the port was brown. And that is what kids played in and people bathed in.

Egypt is a shithole for the most part, there are some nice places for tourists but the locals live in squalid conditions and in some places mud huts. I know some people are in love with Egypts history and all that but the people that built the pyramids have nothing to do with the Arabs that live there now.

I heard a comment last night to the effect that one of the good things coming out of the leaks is how much of the Middle East is concerned about Iran getting nukes, and how little they seem to care about Israeli settlements.

Arabs do not, have not and will not care about the Pals.

If they did they would have let them stay in thier countries.

They just don't want to be pushed around by Persians, but are to chicken to do anything themselves and too stuck in a rut to team up with Israel.

We probably should not have invaded Iraq and instead focused on Iran, Saddam hated Iran and probably would have gave us helpful intel on where to strike their nuke facilities. Oh well. Israel told us in the very beginning that Iran was the one with WMD's not Iraq.

Arabs do not, have not and will not care about the Pals.

If they did they would have let them stay in thier countries.

They just don't want to be pushed around by Persians, but are to chicken to do anything themselves and too stuck in a rut to team up with Israel.

The Arabs just use the Palestinians as their lap dogs to do the dirty work against the Israelis, they do not give 2 shits about the Palestinians.

HAHAHA

Egypt is a shithole for the most part, there are some nice places for tourists but the locals live in squalid conditions and in some places mud huts. I know some people are in love with Egypts history and all that but the people that built the pyramids have nothing to do with the Arabs that live there now.

After looking at the Pyramids, the Sphinx and all the carvings and other art.

I wondered...

What the hell happened?

HAHAHA

After looking at the Pyramids, the Sphinx and all the carvings and other art.

I wondered...

What the hell happened?

The Arabs took over the country the natives that actually built the Pyramids and that whole culture were pretty much wiped out, just like the Native Americans over here. The majority of Egyptians that live in Egypt now have nothing to do with the ancient civilization that built the Pyramids.

Forum List

Back