WikiLeaks Founder Says Obama Should Resign...

If they do something to him the insurance files he has set aside are released and we can see just who and what are the real bad guys.

Stolen information is not treated in law the same as stolen property, CG. It can't be. Receiving stolen goods is a crime because those goods are traceable and returnable. It's a policy to discourage fencing and remove the incentive to steal. How does one identify and return stolen information? Should every media source who has commented on the story using material from that information also be liable for espionage, as the holder of stolen goods can be liable no matter how many hands its gone through?

In my opinion, yes, they should. Maybe then they would understand the importance of their grubby behavior.

Freedom of the press is a wonderful thing - but the press also have a responsibility to understand their role in disseminating information. As you know, I don't hold the press in much regard... which is why I don't work in journalism. With freedom comes responsibility.

Then we would all be open for espionage charges for discussing it too. Where does the criminal transaction end?

It's now in the public domain. We are free to wonder through the files all we want, as long as we don't try to turn a profit or use it to commit another crime, the rest of us are good.

He did redact them before he released them.

He even asked the gov to help him redact them and they refused.

When was that?

The government helped with the "Pentagon Papers".

Why won't the Pentagon help WikiLeaks redact documents? - WikiLeaks - Salon.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/10/22/wikileaks.editing/index.html

"In this case we have taken an even more vigorous approach than we took in relation of the Afghan material, not because we believe that approach was particularly lacking [but] rather just to prevent those sort of distractions from the serious content by people who would like to try and distract from the message," Assange said.

Last edited:
Asange hasn't commited an executable crime [yet].

If he was to be on the "to do" list, he woulda been on "the dead list" by now.

He's an paranoid arrogant asshole who thought governments were out to get him, he's trying to prove himself right. And he is right, now.

By definition he has committed espionage, and should be captured, put on trial, if found guilty, he does life in a Federal prison. If someone dies from his actions....

I heard "Ol Sparky" can be up and running in days.

IMO, it's not clear he, himself, has committed espionage. He received the information from other sources, who were the spies. Under what conditions and facts we don't know. But there's a fine line between simply taking the info somebody has already stolen and conspiring to steal it in the first place. I don't know the facts on that, but if there's evidence then yes - life in Uncle Sam's Flophouse is the right answer.

It seems cut and dry to me.

He received stolen goods, that's a crime.
He new the info was maked "confidential", "secret" and "top secret". He then made it public. That's espionage.

Even if he was an American, he wouldn't be guilty of treason. It has a very, very narrow definition, b/c it starts with the death penalty and can go down from there. Espionage has a very browd definition and he does fall into that catagory. Someone has to die b/c of what he did for them to seek the DP.

Information is not goods. Thankfully, the people who make the law understand that once the genie is out of the bottle, it's out and you can't prosecute every person who mentions it, refers to it or offers and opinion about it for committing the espionage.

The act of espionage is the act of stealing the information and disseminating it in the first place. If Assange assisted in the theft in any way, materially, financially, or logistically, then yes - he is guilty of espionage as a conspirator. But if he simply received the information unsolicited, I'm afraid he's an unethical dirtbag but US law would not be able to prosecute him. The criminal transaction is completed and stops at the first transmission.

Why do you say hes not a journalist?????

So according to you no one who is a nonAmerican has any rights?

You people have jumped the shark.

You would agree to anything in name of your failed ideas.

The brain dead are out in force today. And who says zombies aren't real.

Larry Womack: WikiLeaks Rips the Blogger-Reporter Ethics Gap Wide Open

They quote him as claiming that he's not a journalist.

And he doesn't have any American or Contitutional rights. I forget I need to be specific with zombies, you things are so easily distracted.

He has no constitutional rights where he is now, no. If extradited and tried in the US for espionage he would have constitutional rights in our courts and prisons though, and our law and constitution would of course be applied in the process.

Doesn't matter, espionage isn't protected speech. But if he's brought here for trial all the same rules would apply as though he were American.

Then don't bring him here. [wink, wink]

kidding

That's fine. He should still be snatched up and put on trial. I wouldn't want to be his lawyer, but from what I've seen, there would be a line of people willing to save him.

In my opinion, yes, they should. Maybe then they would understand the importance of their grubby behavior.

Freedom of the press is a wonderful thing - but the press also have a responsibility to understand their role in disseminating information. As you know, I don't hold the press in much regard... which is why I don't work in journalism. With freedom comes responsibility.

Then we would all be open for espionage charges for discussing it too. Where does the criminal transaction end?

It's now in the public domain. We are free to wonder through the files all we want, as long as we don't try to turn a profit or use it to commit another crime, the rest of us are good.

Bingo! :clap2:

Which is exactly why stolen information is not the same as stolen goods, and the criminality stops at first dissemination.

Although of course the media is looking to turn a profit using the information. ;)

He's a piece of shit and obviously hostile to the US. He should be classified as a terrorist.

That would require a very, very broad definition of terrorist.

There's a number of pols I would like to see tarred, feathered and ridden out on a rail, but I'm not a terrorist.

And neither is assange. He's just a paranoid asshat that went to far and needs to be put on trial.

Let the courts work it out.

If he's guilty; life in a Federal Prison
If not; *sigh* well justice prevailed and he and others, get free reign to do as they please, and our diplomacy comes to a screeeching halt.

Assange should be dead.

WikiLeaks boy should be hunted down by the CIA and shot dead.

End of story.

Next :D

He should be hunted by the CIA and assassinated to protect our national secrets.

He is not a united states journalist and is releasing our classified documents, an act of espionage against US meant to hurt the United States and every citizen who lives here.

That is enough reason for me.

Assange should be dead.

Indeed. Like, way dead and months ago.

He's a piece of shit and obviously hostile to the US. He should be classified as a terrorist.

There may be political cultures with more routine, casual calls for blood than America's, but there aren't many. For all the talk of bellicose foreign enemies, we sure take the cake for demanding people be murdered on a whim. Nevermind that it's explicitly against US and international law to assassinate people. I mean since when do laws apply to what the government does? Amirite?

Ravi helpfully provides the latest and greatest warping of the most meaningless word in all of the English language for us.

"Terrorist" (ter-uh-rist)/noun: "anyone defying or impeding the will of the U.S. Government with any degree of efficacy."

Oh and by the way, espionage isn't what Wikileaks does, espionage is what the cables revealed the US has been ordering diplomats to do in a violation of international law.

Pesky details, stupid laws. Let's get to murderin' foreign sumbitches already!

Last edited:

Bingo! :clap2:

Which is exactly why stolen information is not the same as stolen goods, and the criminality stops at first dissemination.

Although of course the media is looking to turn a profit using the information. ;)

hmmm

I disagree. Assange knew he was getting stolen info , and disseminating stolen info. so he, and the person/people that gave/sold him the info are in trouble.

The media outlets that further spread it for profit hmm :eusa_think:

That would require a very, very broad definition of terrorist.

There's a number of pols I would like to see tarred, feathered and ridden out on a rail, but I'm not a terrorist.

And neither is assange. He's just a paranoid asshat that went to far and needs to be put on trial.

Let the courts work it out.

If he's guilty; life in a Federal Prison
If not; *sigh* well justice prevailed and he and others, get free reign to do as they please, and our diplomacy comes to a screeeching halt.

Life?

That's a little crazy.

It would also be extremely hard to convict him in an American court.

At minimum he's guilting of CONSPIRING to leak classified documents....

Unless the argument can be made that he didn't KNOW the documents were going to be pilfered, which I sincerely doubt it true

According to the Pentagon, from The Washington Post, August 11:

"'We have yet to see any harm come to anyone in Afghanistan that we can directly tie to exposure in the WikiLeaks documents,' [Pentagon spokesman Geoff] Morrell said."

Meanwhile, the Secretary of Defense has explicitly condemned the hysterical reaction to the most recent leak as "significantly overwrought" and suggested the impact will be "fairly modest."

Gates on Leaks, Wiki and Otherwise - NYTimes.com

Robert Gates said:
“Let me just offer some perspective as somebody who’s been at this a long time. Every other government in the world knows the United States government leaks like a sieve, and it has for a long time. And I dragged this up the other day when I was looking at some of these prospective releases. And this is a quote from John Adams: ‘How can a government go on, publishing all of their negotiations with foreign nations, I know not. To me, it appears as dangerous and pernicious as it is novel.’

“Now, I’ve heard the impact of these releases on our foreign policy described as a meltdown, as a game-changer, and so on. I think those descriptions are fairly significantly overwrought. The fact is, governments deal with the United States because it’s in their interest, not because they like us, not because they trust us, and not because they believe we can keep secrets. Many governments — some governments — deal with us because they fear us, some because they respect us, most because they need us. We are still essentially, as has been said before, the indispensable nation.

“So other nations will continue to deal with us. They will continue to work with us. We will continue to share sensitive information with one another.

“Is this embarrassing? Yes. Is it awkward? Yes. Consequences for U.S. foreign policy? I think fairly modest.’’

He's ruined all our foreign relations forevers!!! He has blood on his hands!!! Traitor! Spy! Terrorist! Kill him!!!

Assange should be dead.

WikiLeaks boy should be hunted down by the CIA and shot dead.

End of story.

Next :D

Indeed. Like, way dead and months ago.

There may be political cultures with more routine, casual calls for blood than America's, but there aren't many. For all the talk of bellicose foreign enemies, we sure take the cake for demanding people be murdered on a whim. Nevermind that it's explicitly against US and international law to assassinate people. I mean since when do laws apply to what the government does? Amirite?

Ravi helpfully provides the latest and greatest warping of the most meaningless word in all of the English language for us.

"Terrorist" (ter-uh-rist)/noun: "anyone defying or impeding the will of the U.S. Government with any degree of efficacy."

Oh and by the way, espionage isn't what Wikileaks does, espionage is what the cables revealed the US has been ordering diplomats to do in a violation of international law.

Pesky details, stupid laws. Let's get to murderin' foreign sumbitches already!

Why didn't you quote the post of me saying that if I did the same thing I would hope the CIA would be hunting me down too?

Why?

He did redact them before he released them.

He even asked the gov to help him redact them and they refused.

When was that?

The government helped with the "Pentagon Papers".

Why won't the Pentagon help WikiLeaks redact documents? - WikiLeaks - Salon.com

WikiLeaks redacted more information in latest documents release - CNN.com

"In this case we have taken an even more vigorous approach than we took in relation of the Afghan material, not because we believe that approach was particularly lacking [but] rather just to prevent those sort of distractions from the serious content by people who would like to try and distract from the message," Assange said.

Well it's good he started taking out the names.

At minimum he's guilting of CONSPIRING to leak classified documents....

Unless the argument can be made that he didn't KNOW the documents were going to be pilfered, which I sincerely doubt it true

That's how it works. They don't know.

Wikileaks intakes documents from all over the globe from a variety of sources on a daily basis.

There's never been any evidence that Wikileaks was expecting or conspired with any of the leakers in any case they've been involved in to acquire the information. They minimally vet and then release what they get that seems of any significance. They are an outlet for information, not the source of it. One could argue their mere existence encourages leaks, but despite ample scrutiny nothing has ever suggested they actively or practically encourage them much less take part.

The individual alleged to have copied the info and sent it to Wikileaks, Pfc. Bradley Manning, who is currently being held in military prison overseas and whose chat logs among other records around the time he planned and then copied the info as well as his methods have been released and are known. None of them demonstrate that he had any contact with Wikileaks, much less any kind of criminal collusion, before he put all the info available to 3 million government employees on a CD labeled Lady Gaga and sent it out to the world.

Anyway, this reminds me. The New York Times is still publishing and Daniel Ellsberg is still alive. We need to shut that place down and murder Ellsberg already. They're all a buncha terrorists.

Forum List

Back