Wiki--- leaking = Espionage

So, what was the intent?

Ask the wikileaks founder. 2:1 says he's not going to say he was trying to sabotage our troops overseas. The clear wording of the law throughout is intent to hurt operations. If their intent was to let the American people see documents that they feel should be seen, then their intent is not to hurt American operations.

Well, it's easy for them to say that...

doesn't matter if they say that...modbert is wrong on the law

intent or reason to believe that the
information is to be used to the injury of the United States, or to
the advantage of any foreign nation

don't you think number 2 would be fairly easy to prove, i know its a lot easier to prove than intent

Well first the U.S. will have to catch him. I don't know how easy that will be if he's running around Sweden or Switzerland. His first leak of the cowards in the helicopter nonchalantly wasting civilians and journalists was a brave and courageous thing to do, but as for the rest of it I think he was way out of line and he may well pay for it with his life. If anything you should be rallying for Manning's death since the U.S. already has him in the brig. I'm sure his execution alone would satisfy the thirst for revenge.

Well first the U.S. will have to catch him. I don't know how easy that will be if he's running around Sweden or Switzerland. His first leak of the cowards in the helicopter nonchalantly wasting civilians and journalists was a brave and courageous thing to do...
Looks like all you know about that was what you were told to know about it. Those "civilians" were terrorists. The journalists knew they were. And the children were brought there by the terrorists.
...but as for the rest of it I think he was way out of line and he may well pay for it with his life. If anything you should be rallying for Manning's death since the U.S. already has him in the brig. I'm sure his execution alone would satisfy the thirst for revenge.
I would support Manning's execution, provided he's found guilty. Not revenge...justice. Because people are going to die because of what he and Assange allegedly did. And because intelligence gathering is going to be very negatively impacted. Who's going to want to work with us if their identities can't be protected?

This video sums up my opinions on the wikileaks leak pretty damn well...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzzYBhOi4E]YouTube - SA@TAC - Obama is a Threat to National Security[/ame]

Tell ya what liberals... put your money where your mouth is.

Why doesn't every liberal candidate run this fall saying that leaking these secrets isn't a big deal. Why wouldn't you agree to that?

You won't agree to that cause you know your ideas on this are so far outside the norm that you will only state such things on an anonymous political board.

Cowards.

Tell ya what liberals... put your money where your mouth is.

Why doesn't every liberal candidate run this fall saying that leaking these secrets isn't a big deal. Why wouldn't you agree to that?

You won't agree to that cause you know your ideas on this are so far outside the norm that you will only state such things on an anonymous political board.

Cowards.

OOOOOOOOO!!......but I bet Katie Curic, or Morley Schafer will grill the truth out of them!!!

:doubt:

....Ok, maybe not....

While I may not be a legal scholar, it does appear that publishing "classified" DOD documents is transmitting them is it not? Assange in my opinion has been very open about what his intentions are in publishing this material and in doing so as has been mentioned will result in a host of issues. Sec. Gates was quite correct in his statement about Assange when he said the man has blood on his hands. As for Pvt. Manning, I don't want to speculate on this, but it does appear that he and Mr. Assange have been involved in this issue. What I really am trying to get a handle on here is the WH reaction to this issue which seems tepid at times and at other times, as no big deal.

If it were that simple the editorial board of the New York Times would have been locked up many times. Since Obama is claiming that this is all old news, and that nothing that was published is actually damaging, I think you might have a hard time arguing that Wikileaks is guilty of anything.

Manning, if he released the documents, should be punished, but Assange clearly followed established precedent in publishing what he did.

WikiLeaks is a multi-jurisdictional public service designed to protect whistleblowers, journalists and activists who have sensitive materials to communicate to the public. Since July 2007, we have worked across the globe to obtain, publish and defend such materials, and, also, to fight in the legal and political spheres for the broader principles on which our work is based: the integrity of our common historical record and the rights of all peoples to create new history.
WikiLeaks:About - WikiLeaks

That is from the Wikileaks own mission statement, it is a service designed to communicate "classified" materials to the public regardless of who it harms and what nation it harms because of Wikileaks so called mission. That my friend as I have pointed out is a violation of US Federal Law, most especially espionage, in that WikiLeaks admits "cracking and breaking " encrypted video and text to post on their site that they obtain from sources such as Pvt. Manning who it is alleged hacked those from a DOD intranet site. So let's compare that precedent your talking about.

As may like to compare it to the Elsberg case.. first the case of agaisnt Elsberg was not dismissed under the 1917 Espionage Act due to lack of evidence but rather it was due to gross misconduct on the part of the US Govt. and rightly so it was thrown out of court. If Assange believes that the NYT case gives him the ability to publish any classified material he wishes he may want to read the case again. The case was in fact based on the Nixon Administrations attempt by the assertion of executive authority to force the NYT not to publish "classified materials". The difference here is that Assange is a foreign national with a stated purpose of "changing the outcome as well as on several occasions admitting "code breaking" classified materials in order to publish them. So if they and their attorneys are using this as a shield then they are doing so behind a very thin one. Having said that I will say that they are very lucky in that our current DOJ is very disinterested in matters of national security so I'm sure that Assange will continue while the current Administration is in office to act in any manner he so chooses.

Last edited:
Reading the previous post reminds me of a remark Obama made, earlier this year, about pursuing whistleblowers....

In 17 months in office, President Obama has already outdone every previous president in pursuing leak prosecutions. His administration has taken actions that might have provoked sharp political criticism for his predecessor, George W. Bush, who was often in public fights with the press
Obama Takes Hard Line on Whistle Blowers | DarkGovernment

I was thinking that speech I recalled said more about NOT prosecuting whistleblowers....

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Frankly, this trend to compare this President to the last one and when he exceeds the last President in some area's good or bad somehow justitfies the argument seems to somewhat weak, not just when it comes to the DOJ in matter of foreign affairs, but when it comes to domestic issues as well. In fact I'll give you a good example, as we are all aware the current Administration went after Arizona hard on SB-1070, then after the ruling in which the so called " sancturary cities" elimitnation were found to be consistant with Federal Law. The Administration declined to go after other cities citing they didnt have the time to persue cities who violatied the spirit of the law. So when I see in the Assange matter someone compare Obama to Bush both who use the DOJ as more a political arm rather than what it should be one that prosecutes violations of US Federal Law it does not make this Presidents DOJ seem much better. Having said all that, I do understand the previous posters reasoning in that it's a good thing that the DOJ appears according to the article seems to be going after more people than the last one. However, based on what I have seen thus far, I rather doubt that Assange will be one of them. I would like to see it however.

Thanks, Navy-brother-in-arms.
It's just that I think I recall Obama saying that he's more concerned in the crime, in whatever speech it was he gave, rather than going after the tattle-tale.
Maybe it had more to do with financial institutions.
I just can't remember exactly....

Thanks, Navy-brother-in-arms.
It's just that I think I recall Obama saying that he's more concerned in the crime, in whatever speech it was he gave, rather than going after the tattle-tale.
Maybe it had more to do with financial institutions.
I just can't remember exactly....

Anytime my friend, I just think someone that puts our young men and women in harms way at risk, through posting "classified" information should be brought before US justice to at the very least answer for it. I don't see this compares to the NYT , Elsberg case in anyway, as the Wikileaks group has to break encrypted information in order to post it and they employ people to do it. I know this, if I lost a wingman or I lost a BN as a result of someone posting information about a strike I would not be happy about it.

Well first the U.S. will have to catch him. I don't know how easy that will be if he's running around Sweden or Switzerland. His first leak of the cowards in the helicopter nonchalantly wasting civilians and journalists was a brave and courageous thing to do...
Looks like all you know about that was what you were told to know about it. Those "civilians" were terrorists. The journalists knew they were. And the children were brought there by the terrorists.
...but as for the rest of it I think he was way out of line and he may well pay for it with his life. If anything you should be rallying for Manning's death since the U.S. already has him in the brig. I'm sure his execution alone would satisfy the thirst for revenge.
I would support Manning's execution, provided he's found guilty. Not revenge...justice. Because people are going to die because of what he and Assange allegedly did. And because intelligence gathering is going to be very negatively impacted. Who's going to want to work with us if their identities can't be protected?

I totally agree.

Who is going to want to work with US intelligence when the Afghans who did help us are all killed??

From what I've heard there are names, village names and cooridinants for said villiages in the papers that were released. The Talaban does read the papers.

I wonder how many will be killed because Assange had this burning need to be a self righteous asshole???? Jeeze.

Just a little update here, and I will post it as soon as I can locate something about it , or someone else can. From what I understand, some Seatlle based computer people have also been detained for questioning by ICE as to their involvement in this case as well as some MIT computer students. If anyone has information on this feel free to post it, as I heard it in passing on the news.

Just a little update here, and I will post it as soon as I can locate something about it , or someone else can. From what I understand, some Seatlle based computer people have also been detained for questioning by ICE as to their involvement in this case as well as some MIT computer students. If anyone has information on this feel free to post it, as I heard it in passing on the news.

MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says

Adrian Lamo, the former computer hacker who tipped off federal authorities to WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning, says two men in the Boston area have told Lamo in phone conversations that they assisted Manning.

Lamo said both men attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but he refused to identify them because, he said, at least one of them has threatened him. One of these men allegedly told Lamo they gave encryption software to Manning and taught the Army private how to use it, Lamo said.

Manning, an Army intelligence analyst, is being held in solitary confinement at a Virginia detention facility. He is charged with leaking an airstrike video that the whistleblower website WikiLeaks published in April, and Pentagon officials say he is the prime suspect in last week's disclosure of thousands of field reports from the war in Afghanistan to the site.

Lamo claimed both men are working for WikiLeaks. Also, both men are Facebook friends with Lamo and Manning, and at least one continues to post Facebook messages on Lamo's wall, the former hacker said.

MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says - CNN.com

I totally agree.

Who is going to want to work with US intelligence when the Afghans who did help us are all killed??

From what I've heard there are names, village names and cooridinants for said villiages in the papers that were released. The Talaban does read the papers.

I wonder how many will be killed because Assange had this burning need to be a self righteous asshole???? Jeeze.

MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says

Adrian Lamo, the former computer hacker who tipped off federal authorities to WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning, says two men in the Boston area have told Lamo in phone conversations that they assisted Manning.

Lamo said both men attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but he refused to identify them because, he said, at least one of them has threatened him. One of these men allegedly told Lamo they gave encryption software to Manning and taught the Army private how to use it, Lamo said.

Manning, an Army intelligence analyst, is being held in solitary confinement at a Virginia detention facility. He is charged with leaking an airstrike video that the whistleblower website WikiLeaks published in April, and Pentagon officials say he is the prime suspect in last week's disclosure of thousands of field reports from the war in Afghanistan to the site.

Lamo claimed both men are working for WikiLeaks. Also, both men are Facebook friends with Lamo and Manning, and at least one continues to post Facebook messages on Lamo's wall, the former hacker said.

MIT students helped WikiLeaks suspect, hacker says - CNN.com
I have no confidence this Administration will pursue justice in this case.

Forum List

Back