??Wierd Technical Issue??

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
I don't think this is something that can be addressed by anyone is this forum...

Some browser/server issue most likely.

I bookmarked my link to this forum.

Several times ---Yahoo has interfered and taken me 'elsewhere'.

Closed down IE and tried again--successful in being linked directly to this forum.

Anxiety and panic ensued. Who knows why? It is not that I particularly care, either.

If you do have control over such things---I thought it best to let you know.

felicitations.

might try other browsers, can come in handy -

Firefox bookmarks are more intelligent than IE's ... IE is a distant memory.

Sounds like you've picked up a hijack bug...

... d/l this: Hijackthis.com

... do what it says do to find the bug.
:cool:

agreed. i'll try that.

when I logged off last night --something even stranger happened. I logged on again and how to describe this--i was taken to msn/bing. I am on comcast--my home page etc I shut down and tried again. Comcast/home page, etc came back.

such things happen from time to time. must be dealt with--I know the importance of vigilance/maintenance of the Dell.

might try other browsers, can come in handy -

Firefox bookmarks are more intelligent than IE's ... IE is a distant memory.

I know. there were several weeks/months during the summer when all I could do to get to my email was go through Firefox. eh--'online tech support'/Comcast has it--nobody could really 'fix' the problem.

I called Comcast and they were able to do something. Still have the Firefox links if I need them.

Microsoft. sigh

just can't get myself together enough to advance to Mac/Apple. Working on that.

Sounds like you've picked up a hijack bug...

... d/l this: Hijackthis.com

... do what it says do to find the bug.

agreed. i'll try that.

when I logged off last night --something even stranger happened. I logged on again and how to describe this--i was taken to msn/bing. I am on comcast--my home page etc I shut down and tried again. Comcast/home page, etc came back.

such things happen from time to time. must be dealt with--I know the importance of vigilance/maintenance of the Dell.
Wavingirl, I belong to another forum and it has over 50 tracking cookies, so before coming here, I wipe the slate clean with my antivirus and play a game of cards while waiting for it to secure my computer. This one is usually clean, but sometimes, between hopping back and forth to links other posters provide, there are a number of tracking cookies, too, which I deal with just as soon as I head for the racks. My antivirus cleanser gives you the option of it closing itself down when it has cleaned up.

It's a hassle cleaning up anywhere between twice and ten times a day, but in the long run, you'll be extending the life of your computer and be having fewer slow days if you just clean the machine regularly. About every other month, the computer notifies me it has picked up a serious threat and dealt with it. It's saved me a lot of grief by being faithful to the program of machine maintenance. It beats the other that I went through for years before I learned how important it is to get rid of bad things promptly.

Best wishes in your surfing. If your machine acts odd in any way, hit the antivirus button immediately and go after the demon before it goes after your enjoyment of the internet.

Sounds like you downloaded something and it hijacked your browser.
Waltky is right...but be careful Hijackthis is a terrific little piece of free software, but in the wrong hands you could do some damage with it.

Waltky is right...but be careful Hijackthis is a terrific little piece of free software, but in the wrong hands you could do some damage with it.

I was gonna ask him because of the wording of his post...is it more user-friendly now?

I haven't used it in about 5 years, and it was very dangerous in untrained hands.

I was gonna ask him because of the wording of his post...is it more user-friendly now?

I haven't used it in about 5 years, and it was very dangerous in untrained hands.

Not really...it is still best to be used by someone who is at least a novice.
Someday they will at last pass some better privacy laws that makes it illegal to have the "install this other software you didn't ask for" automatically checked yes to install it.
Once some of these toolbars are installed, they can be almost impossible to get rid of without knowing how to use a tool like Hijackthis.

Last edited:
Oh, I know that all too well.

I've been incredibly lucky the last several years...very few problems. The more you learn and can fix the less problems you tend to have I suppose. ;)

Wavingirl wrote: agreed. i'll try that.

Run your a/v program, clean out all your cookies & online files...

... sure, you'll have to re-login to your favorite sites such as this one (You do remember yer p/w's don't you?)...

... but its a small price to pay to get rid of the bug...

... then switch to Firefox or GoogleChrome instead of IE.

Might want to also install a firewall, ZoneAlarm has a setting where you can run both the Windows firewall and ZoneAlarm...

Last edited:

... sure, you'll have to re-login to your favorite sites such as this one (You do remember yer p/w's don't you?)...

Might want to also install a firewall, ZoneAlarm has a setting where you can run both the Windows firewall and ZoneAlarm...

ok--all of those programs are scheduled to run 'automatically'. I can quickly clean out the cookies, etc.

Haven't had the problem again --so maybe a/v took care of it during routine maintenance.

LOL---during the great Dell crisis of May '12--it was completely 'cleaned'--down to the hard drive. Then slowly all the programs were reinstalled. Not fun, not fun--computers are really no fun?

ok--all of those programs are scheduled to run 'automatically'. I can quickly clean out the cookies, etc.

Haven't had the problem again --so maybe a/v took care of it during routine maintenance.

LOL---during the great Dell crisis of May '12--it was completely 'cleaned'--down to the hard drive. Then slowly all the programs were reinstalled. Not fun, not fun--computers are really no fun?

If you ever get to the point of being able to calmly fix most of your issues it won't seem so bad.

I know how it is when you don't know though, I feel for ya.

Forum List

Back