Widows

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
The movie was terrible. It reminded me to not listen to reviews or at least take them worth a grain of salt. Nearly every social message there is was inserted into the movie using a shoe horn and a hammer to drive home the point (or at least try to). Seriously; this movie sucked to high heaven.

I won’t give away the ending but here is what you have going on.

A master criminal who is married to Viola Davis is killed doing a job. The money he stole was destroyed.

The guy he stole it from—who is running for Chicago City Alderman in the 18th Ward—wants it back. So he goes to the widow of the master thief to tell her. The only way she can get it back is to steal it.

If this was the story, that would have been great. But nooooooooo. The rest of the crew that is rubbed out during the same job that killed Viola Davis’s husband have widows too and they are tapped by Davis to help her pay back the City Alerdman candidate. And they do it. One of the widows is presented with a very unusual, legal, safe and exciting opportunity and decides, instead to join Davis in her quest to get the money back illegally risking imprisonment, death, etc…

Okay so the story start falling apart there. But wait! There’s more. The alderman candidates has a ruthless competitor for the seat. The seat belonged to his father who is just as ruthless. The competitor has a wife who is unfaithful. The initiative he has is to empower some minorities in the 18th ward and to do that, those minorities do business with loan sharks. Is that enough to make you want to see the movie? Don’t answer yet. There are more layers to the story. The candidate who had the money boosted from him has a brother who is a gangster and starts operating independently. The master thief (who drives the getaway car) has a driver too (WTF???) who is chemically dependent in addition to a paraplegic associate who knows his inner most secrets. There is a notebook that holds the key, incriminating photographs, a mega church pastor who could sway the election, etc…

What I haven’t told you is that everyone of the people I mentioned above (and there are more I didn’t mention with speaking roles in the movie) is filmed with their kids, their parents, their associates, etc…. By the end of the movie which ends suddenly and even more confusingly…you’re ready to leave if you haven’t already.

If you’re a liberal and buy into the themes of empowerment, injustice (I didn’t mention the cop blowing away a kid needlessly), poverty, #metoo you may overlook the gaping plot holes during this 124 minute suck-fest. I didn’t. Save your money.

Ohhhhh, you paid to see this.

From that start it sounded like a made for TV or Netflix schtick.

:abgg2q.jpg:

Hollywood propaganda is as Hollywood propaganda does.

Nothing like being patronized and catered to.

Ohhhhh, you paid to see this.

From that start it sounded like a made for TV or Netflix schtick.

:abgg2q.jpg:

Hollywood propaganda is as Hollywood propaganda does.

Nothing like being patronized and catered to.

Not to defend this piece o’ crap at all but….

Steve McQueen does some interesting things with the camera shots; Liam Nesson (sp?) gives a visceral performance. And Daniel Kaluuya has a compelling presence as a creepy thug.

But wow, the movie seemed to have 3 writers who couldn’t agree on what was on the screen. The scene that is shown on the commercials and trailers where Davis says, something like, “Nobody thinks we have the balls to pull this off.” is about the dumbest line in the movie; like there is a group out there who is waiting and watching to see who they are going to rob?

Forum List

Back