Widely acceptable bigotry

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I've always found it rather interesting in my encounters with non-Americans how many of them are able to make derogatory generalizations about Americans without realizing or acknowledging that they are being predjudicial bigots. I'm talking about educated, intelligent people who would never make similar statements about Blacks, Jews, Russians, Chinese or any other subgroup of humanity as they are aware that to do so is at least bigotry, if not completely racist. So why do they have a blind spot where Americans are concerned? I have a theory. Two words: Inferiority complex.

You should see how enraged they get when I point this out. The backpeddling and tap dancing they do is a thing of beauty to behold.

Just sayin.

I've always found it rather interesting in my encounters with non-Americans how many of them are able to make derogatory generalizations about Americans without realizing or acknowledging that they are being predjudicial bigots. I'm talking about educated, intelligent people who would never make similar statements about Blacks, Jews, Russians, Chinese or any other subgroup of humanity as they are aware that to do so is at least bigotry, if not completely racist. So why do they have a blind spot where Americans are concerned? I have a theory. Two words: Inferiority complex.

You should see how enraged they get when I point this out. The backpeddling and tap dancing they do is a thing of beauty to behold.

Just sayin.

Racist? I didn't realize "American" was a race.

I wonder if we have an inferiority complex about the French.

Personally I've never experienced that, actually most admire America. GWB has hurt our reputation I would agree but the beauty of our system is he will be gone soon.

• Banned
Racist? I didn't realize "American" was a race.

I wonder if we have an inferiority complex about the French.

I'm truly sorry to learn of your reading comprehension difficulty. I said bigotry. Read it again and you'll see the term racist refers to something else.

• Banned
Personally I've never experienced that, actually most admire America. GWB has hurt our reputation I would agree but the beauty of our system is he will be gone soon.

Really?

That surprises me. I've encountered many that repeatedly assert that Americans are all this, Americans are all that, and they're usually not very flattering.

Fine.

I've never met anyone with this attitude either. Yet I've met many Americans that look down on the French, Canadians, etc...does that mean they have an inferiority complex?

• Banned
Fine.

I've never met anyone with this attitude either. Yet I've met many Americans that look down on the French, Canadians, etc...does that mean they have an inferiority complex?

Could be.

But of course I don't believe you've encountered very many non-Americans in your life if you've never met anyone with this attitude.

It's just national stereotyping, don't let it get to you, all nations stereotype each other, sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive but while there may a germ of truth in each stereotype they're so simplistic as to be laughable.

Just sayin.

I don't know if it could be 'racist', but for some reason lots of folks from out of the country know more about our laws than too many Americans. They feel free to say the second amendment is stupid; the first we are too married to; the idea that we have a problem with immigration is just wrong; that the electoral college and the requirements to be natural born American are small minded.

I try and remember it's a compliment, whether they mean that or not.

Fine.

I think you mix looking down upon with being disappointed with. Americans tend towards hyperbole. "French cheese-swilling surrender monkeys," doesn't equate with calling Jews, 'eating biscuits made with the blood of Palestinian children'. With Sarkozy's election and his statements so far, nearly all is forgiven.

When the Canadians stop persecuting Mark Steyn, they'll return to the right as rain set. Actually they are and always have been, with the exception of those in their government that allow this crap.

America as often been called the land of opportunity
But you better be careful which one you choose cuz it might come with a penalty
There's lots of good jobs working in a factory cranking out the land mines
And you better be ready to pull the party line or you'll end up doing real time

America likes to keep her children stupid. They don't know how the rest of us live
She wraps them up in a blanket of ignorance waiting to catch the HIV
Beating up their bibles and waving their guns thinking that they're the only way
But if they're not careful the rest of the world's gonna get'em one of these days

America has her finger on the trigger
America's got her bullets in the gun
America's still stringing up *******
America eats her young

The American president's an angry little man who doesn't have a thought of his own
He's the slave of multi-death corporations and the puppet of religion
He's told what to do by a big machine that doesn't give a shit about us human beings
And it needs the Middle East for its Armageddon feast .....because it is the beast

lyrics from Holy Shiite album

On second thought, maybe it's your own attitude that makes them feel free to make derogatory generalizations about Americans, hmmm?

I live by the golden rule so maybe it isn't just luck.

A very wise person once imparted to me an interesting metaphor. He said the fastest horse doesn't win every race but it's still always the one to put your money on.

In this case my money is on the bet that you haven't been truthful in this exchange, with yourself or with me. No offense.

Have a nice day.

It's just national stereotyping, don't let it get to you, all nations stereotype each other, sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive but while there may a germ of truth in each stereotype they're so simplistic as to be laughable.

I know, and it doesn't really. I had just recently encountered such a person (Canadian) and I thought I'd post the thought.

But then again why should I listen to you, a guy from a land populated by criminals? ;)

A very wise person once imparted to me an interesting metaphor. He said the fastest horse doesn't win every race but it's still always the one to put your money on.

In this case my money is on the bet that you haven't been truthful in this exchange, with yourself or with me. No offense.

Have a nice day.

Pardon me? I honestly don't ever remember meeting any non-Americans that either looked down on me or seemed to have an inferiority complex toward Americans. Maybe the stray snooty Parisian, but since they look down on everyone but themselves it didn't mean much.

Or were you referring to something else?

I know, and it doesn't really. I had just recently encountered such a person (Canadian) and I thought I'd post the thought.

But then again why should I listen to you, a guy from a land populated by criminals? ;)

You must have found the one Canadian dumb enough to hold that stereotype. The ones I know have a very clear view of the US and it's complexities.

Did you hear that joke about the bloke in London applying for a visa to visit Australia? He was asked if he had a criminal record and replied, "Is it still a pre-requisite?" :D

Just sayin.

Reminds me of how, in NYC, people will completely miss the irony of saying the following:

Oh my God, I hate the South! Everybody there is so prejudiced.

First you can't have racial bias against a nationality like American.

Second, when I was overseas and worked with the Carbineri on Shore Patrol, they had nothing but good images about US.

Third, if there are some who don't like US, tuff shit. Don't get your undies in a bundle.

Forum List

Back