WI, now IN and OH....is the end near for unions?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
The bell tolls.....

And without collective bargaining, no union has teeth.

Is this the beginning of the end for unions?

It's the unions doing public sector gov. jobs that should end. The private ones can do what they wish.

I don't think it's total lights out, but no doubt their power has been dwindling for decades. This is just another chapter. Personally, I'd have no problem with public sector unions going by the wayside; I think they/re bad ideas to start with.

The bell tolls.....

And Florida, and today it is expected New Jersey will join their ranks.

Mebbe the end of public employee unions, Mini. Not all unions, however.

I recognize that private-sector unions are not included at this point.

But with precedent comes the rolling ball.

After the public employee unions are dissolved, I think it spreads to the private sector like wildfire. Years before it is resolved, but the debate has begun.

Hopefully the people will once more, as they did in the thirties and the sixties, tell the man where to go.

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey 'Taking the Risk out of Democracy'

Last edited by a moderator:
The bell tolls.....

After the public employee unions are dissolved, I think it spreads to the private sector like wildfire. Years before it is resolved, but the debate has begun.

I dun think that'd be possible with the US Constitution in place, Mini. Nor do I think it'd be wise. You really want coal miners to lose their union?

Plumbers and Electricians? Elevator Repairmen?

I dun think that'd be possible with the US Constitution in place, Mini. Nor do I think it'd be wise. You really want coal miners to lose their union?

There are some industries where the unions are a necessity (mining, for instance). But there are others where I believe they have become a nuisance and serve no purpose any longer.

I don't think unions will ever be completely removed, but I think we're seeing the beginning of a huge drawback from the union model, especially in industries where they serve no purpose of safety or regulation.

The Constitution makes no specific concession to unions, and the political climate has changed.

We will see, but I suspect the number of unions in existence today, and their memberships, is a lot larger than the number in 10 years.

There are some industries where the unions are a necessity (mining, for instance). But there are others where I believe they have become a nuisance and serve no purpose any longer.

I don't think unions will ever be completely removed, but I think we're seeing the beginning of a huge drawback from the union model, especially in industries where they serve no purpose of safety or regulation.

The Constitution makes no specific concession to unions, and the political climate has changed.

We will see, but I suspect the number of unions in existence today, and their memberships, is a lot larger than the number in 10 years.

I think they'll survive -- even public employee unions, but this "movement" has hardened many people's positions. The unions are handling this all wrong, IMO.

I think the unions are losing the support of folks who aren't members (the majority of workers).

Once that ball starts rolling, it generally doesn't stop.

We'll see.....but I think collective bargaining, which is the heart of every union, is going to take a serious hit in the next year. Where that leads is anyone's guess, but I think it bleeds over into the private sector as well.

Well, it's only 30 years overdue, but thank God for it.

Once upon a time it was three cheers for worker's rights. Now it's three cheers for worker freedom!

The bell tolls.....

NEWSFLASH!!

Unions developed and won before they had the right to collective bargaining, sport.

The beginning of the end to unions really started when the USA decided to ship its industy offshore to places where unionism isn't tolerated by the fascist governments that are our new Best BESTEST FRIENDS FOREVER!

The common everyday working man has grown tired of paying for state workers in unions lavish lifestyles funded primarily by the payment of taxes. The unions have sucked the "cash cow" teat dry and it's time for the good time Charlies to begin to live like the rest of the common people. Sucks to be you union workers. Join the rest of the gang that has fallen upon hard times. No more free rides at the publics' expense.

The bell tolls.....

NEWSFLASH!!

Unions developed and won before they had the right to collective bargaining, sport.

The beginning of the end to unions really started when the USA decided to ship its industy offshore to places where unionism isn't tolerated by the fascist governments that are our new Best BESTEST FRIENDS FOREVER!

Except that the vast majority of workers in the United States aren't union, "sport". "Sport" - Communist Alinski's demeaning tactics again! What a jackass! Go soak your head, genius.

Last edited:
Just about. These are their last gasps for sure. Most people do not support the Teacher Unions especially. Their many years of greed & political activism really has turned most people off. They basically buried themselves. So yes,the end is near for Unions.

Unions in this country really blew it when they decided they would prostitute themselves out to the Democratic Party. That decision alienated so many who would have possibly supported them. Now most people just see the Democratic Party as the Unions' Pimp. They should have been more friendly to the Republican Party. A good relationship with both Parties would have ensured their survival. Instead they allowed the Lefty "Community Organizer" Wingnuts to seize control of their Unions. This has led to their near extinction. Things are only gonna get worse for them. The times,they are a changin. Unions really are becoming obsolete.

The bell tolls.....

Indeed..........a WIN for all Americans. This should have happened at least 20 years ago..........at least now, Americans are onto this scam.

Unions will not end.......but the level of greed and fraud will. No more free rides for these fcukkers...........

Last edited:
Especially in the upper-midwest and the rust belt,,if those unions collapse,,,Obama wont be able to save them and he may as well give up on those states come 2012.:tongue:

Well there's a reason Toyota and Nissan build their American-market cars in Kentucky and Alabama. But I seriously doubt unions are going away for good, at least not in the industries that aren't held hostage by cheaper overseas labor (oil drilling, mining, retail, value-added tech, knowledge positions). I personally don't have a problem with the idea of workers bargaining together for a minimum standard of compensation. But unions are like corporations are like government--the more powerful they get the more shady they become.

Forum List

Back