Why?

Did democrats hammer President Bush over high gas prices. doyathink?

Go.

Because Bush was an oilman with a bunch of oil buddies in the oil business who gave a lot of money to Bush,

and because the unnecessary Iraq war drove up oil prices by destabilizing the Middle East,

and all his oil buddies got rich(er).

Just to note.. Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

GDP was -6% when Obama took office.

Do you wish to deny that gas prices went up from the start of the Iraq war for about 5 years??? Really?

Your problem is that you're looking at only numbers and not the psychological impact of the moratoriums. It would be the same type of impact as suddenly announcing a truly viable and affordable alternative energy source.

Oh, boo-fucking-hoo. I can hear the oil execs now:

It just hurt me little psyche, all those mean ol' mortatoriums. I just HAD to charge 4 times more for me oil, I just HAD to!

What exactly are you in the middle of? :confused:

Wait... so because this guy makes a valid point that you can't refute... He's a Commie... right?

turn the fucking channel....or radio station... it's rotting your brain.

Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

Come on, you say that like the low price had nothing to do with the gargantuan stock market collapse that occurred right before Obama took office.... kind of misleading.

6/21/2008 - Gas at about $4.12/gal

(what event happened between this time?)

11/19/2008 - Gas at about $1.61/gal

Hmmm.. If I recall it was right about that time that George Bush lifted the moratorium on offshore drilling, with Congress following suit in September of 2008.

That had nothing to do with it. If you weren't ignorant in economics you could figure out why fuel prices would fall in steep economic downturn and a real estate crash.

Whatever. You know you used that pussy line a time or two. ;)

Nope... never. You, however... use it on a continual basis... Good Job Alinsky... accusing others of what you yourself are doing. In fact... that's your new moniker as far as I'm concerned... Paul Alinsky.

Nah, Marxist 'Community Organizing' is all you and your Dear Leader. That's yer thing.

Yeah... that's what they tell you to say over at Freedomworks, isn't it?

Your problem is that you're looking at only numbers and not the psychological impact of the moratoriums. It would be the same type of impact as suddenly announcing a truly viable and affordable alternative energy source.

Agree Vel, I think that psychology does play into the equation, and could even sometimes serve as a "spark" to ignite an oil $ decline (the one in 2008 was well overdue as gas prices had spiked to unreasonable levels in the months prior, and the economy was slowing dramatically). But again, I think it was underlying economic situation (halting economy) that fostered the steep temporary decline in oil prices in 2008, and not simply the announcement that the President would support lifting the moratorium. It may be the spark, but if there's nothing of substance there to keep it burning, it will simply fizzle out after a few days and any price shocks would normalize and there would be no change.

Again, there's just not enough substance around the lift of the offshore moratorium to drop prices by anything dramatically. The yield is much, much too small to have any huge impact.

For instance, do you honestly believe that if Obama would announce today that he would lift the moratorium on offshore drilling, gas would fall by $100/barrel again? That just doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Did democrats hammer President Bush over high gas prices. doyathink?

Go.

Because Bush was an oilman with a bunch of oil buddies in the oil business who gave a lot of money to Bush,

and because the unnecessary Iraq war drove up oil prices by destabilizing the Middle East,

and all his oil buddies got rich(er).

Just to note.. Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

Just a note to your note. Gas prices in Oct of 2008, one month before the election, gas prices were very near where they are now. 3.49 for reg.

Nope... never. You, however... use it on a continual basis... Good Job Alinsky... accusing others of what you yourself are doing. In fact... that's your new moniker as far as I'm concerned... Paul Alinsky.

Nah, Marxist 'Community Organizing' is all you and your Dear Leader. That's yer thing.

Yeah... that's what they tell you to say over at Freedomworks, isn't it?

Nope, just a little research tells me that. Saul Alinsky was a proud Marxist. And he is worshipped as a God by all 'Community Organizers.' Check out his book 'Rules for Radicals.'

Agree Vel, I think that psychology does play into the equation, and could even sometimes serve as a "spark" to ignite an oil $ decline (the one in 2008 was well overdue as gas prices had spiked to unreasonable levels in the months prior, and the economy was slowing dramatically). But again, I think it was underlying economic situation (halting economy) that fostered the steep temporary decline in oil prices in 2008, and not simply the announcement that the President would support lifting the moratorium. It may be the spark, but if there's nothing of substance there to keep it burning, it will simply fizzle out after a few days and any price shocks would normalize and there would be no change.

Again, there's just not enough substance around the lift of the offshore moratorium to drop prices by anything dramatically. The yield is much, much too small to have any huge impact.

For instance, do you honestly believe that if Obama would announce today that he would lift the moratorium on offshore drilling, gas would fall by $100/barrel again? That just doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I don't know that it would fall as much as it did in 2008, but I believe it would have a significant impact. The boom in the Chinese economy will certainly help prop prices up more so than in the past, but at anytime in recent history that the OPEC nations figured that we were truly serious about becoming energy independent, you've seen prices fall. Most of the OPEC nations have but one product to sell and will manipulate prices in order to make sure that we'll continue to want it.

I don't know that it would fall as much as it did in 2008, but I believe it would have a significant impact. The boom in the Chinese economy will certainly help prop prices up more so than in the past, but at anytime in recent history that the OPEC nations figured that we were truly serious about becoming energy independent, you've seen prices fall. Most of the OPEC nations have but one product to sell and will manipulate prices in order to make sure that we'll continue to want it.

With the ever increasing demand for oil (as you note) and the fact that US offshore drilling would add maybe only an additional 1% or less to the world's oil supply, I don't think the lift of the moratorium would have much of an impact on world gas prices. I suppose this is where we disagree. I mean, if the moratorium could mean an additional 10%, then I might agree that it could have some sort of significant long-term impact, but we're not, so I'm going to hold steady on my opinion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back