Why?

Well gosh Willow. Didn't you know that George Bush was omnipotent and everything in the world was within his power to control?

Did democrats hammer President Bush over high gas prices. doyathink?

During the Bush years, the democrats hammered him on high gas prices while the republicans remained silent. Now that a democrat is in office, we have a reverse situation where the republicans are hammering Obama on high gas prices and the democrats are remaining silent.

I think blaming the President has much less to do with the reality of the situation (ie does a single man really control if gas prices will go up/down) and more to do with the political affiliation of the president and the political affiliation of the blamer (ie if they're opposite, then the President is to blame).

Last edited:
Why?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did democrats hammer President Bush over high gas prices.

Bush chose to invade an oil producing country (Iraq) and should have (did know) known what the effect would be on gas prices.

Obama is trying to keep the lid from blowing off on another oil producing country and keep other countries from making war on Iran. Because this President understands that provoking war in oil procducing countries is a sure fire way to jack up prices.

So Dems bitched about Bush and gas prices because we did not have to go to war in Iraq.

Obama does not seem to want to invade Iran and cause the disruption in supply that war would bring and the resulting higher prices.

So Dems cut him some slack.

See any difference in the approach?

Go.

Because Bush was an oilman with a bunch of oil buddies in the oil business who gave a lot of money to Bush,

and because the unnecessary Iraq war drove up oil prices by destabilizing the Middle East,

and all his oil buddies got rich(er).

Bush chose to invade an oil producing country (Iraq) and should have (did know) known what the effect would be on gas prices.

Obama is trying to keep the lid from blowing off on another oil producing country and keep other countries from making war on Iran. Because this President understands that provoking war in oil procducing countries is a sure fire way to jack up prices.

So Dems bitched about Bush and gas prices because we did not have to go to war in Iraq.

Obama does not seem to want to invade Iran and cause the disruption in supply that war would bring and the resulting higher prices.

So Dems cut him some slack.

See any difference in the approach?

Zeke, I agree the Iraq war was the cause of the high gas prices during the Bush years, I disagree with the approach of simply blaming Bush, the man, for everything related to the war, gas prices, ect.

Before the United States invaded Iraq, both Democrats and Republicans voted in favor of invading Iraq. Granted, more Republicans voted in favor than Democrats (I believe), but it remains the truth that without those Democratic "Yes" votes, the war would have never occurred. You can't simply say that "Bush chose to invade..." because that makes it sound like it was solely his decision to start the Iraq war.

Last edited:

Go.

Because Bush was an oilman with a bunch of oil buddies in the oil business who gave a lot of money to Bush,

and because the unnecessary Iraq war drove up oil prices by destabilizing the Middle East,

Just to note.. Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

During the Bush years, the democrats hammered him on high gas prices while the republicans remained silent. Now that a democrat is in office, we have a reverse situation where the republicans are hammering Obama on high gas prices and the democrats are remaining silent.

I think blaming the President has much less to do with the reality of the situation (ie does a single man really control if gas prices will go up/down) and more to do with the political affiliation of the president and the political affiliation of the blamer (ie if they're opposite, then the President is to blame).

No, the democrats are most decidedly NOT remaining silent. they're screaming they're excuses from the roof tops.. actually. try again.

No, the democrats are most decidedly NOT remaining silent. they're screaming they're excuses from the roof tops.. actually. try again.

link?

Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

Come on, you say that like the low price had nothing to do with the gargantuan stock market collapse that occurred right before Obama took office.... kind of misleading.

6/21/2008 - Gas at about $4.12/gal

(what event happened between this time?)

11/19/2008 - Gas at about $1.61/gal

My point was that democrats are not blaming the current (democratic) President for the high gas prices. They're remaining silent with regards to that notion. Perhaps I wasn't clear on my point...

Last edited:
I'm guessing that people complain about fuel prices because it hurts their pocket books. And I think that folks who are partisan to one political party or the other tend to blame anything that hurts their pocket book on the other guys. The fact that Bush had a history in the oil business didn't help. That made those same partisans make more presidential links to gas prices, fairly or not.

But in general, I think that asking a question that is basically "why do democrats blame republicans" is kind of an exercise in futility? Is futility the right word? I mean, this isn't some serious question you have asked nor is it any sort of attempt to understand something or relate to other people. It appears to be just an excuse to fan the flames in a house that is already on fire.

And I don't mean any offense by this, just my honest observation of what's going on here. No shame in just wanting to argue for arguments sake, I don't guess.

Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

Come on, you say that like the low price had nothing to do with the gargantuan stock market collapse that occurred right before Obama took office.... kind of misleading.

Hmmm.. If I recall it was right about that time that George Bush lifted the moratorium on offshore drilling, with Congress following suit in September of 2008.

Hmmm.. If I recall it was right about that time that George Bush lifted the moratorium on offshore drilling, with Congress following suit in September of 2008.

So you are suggesting that if we lift he moratorium on drilling, we can lower gas prices?

OK--I am for it. Then I was for it when it could lead to less dependence on Saudi Oil.(I don't care about making Canadians rich, but I do care about making terrorists sympathizers!)

Bush was a man with vested interests in oil prices. While he talked about increasing US production because it would reduce our gas prices, he was really more in favor of higher prices, because that's how he made his money. His invasion of Iraq was often criticized as being and "oil grab." Wing-nut supporters would even go as far as agreeing it was more about oil than anything else, and would cite high gas prices as how that made it justified to invade a country for that purpose.

Despite all these things, gas prices continued to rise. The Republican mantra then became to point to "normal market mechanisms" as being behind the rise in gas prices. They'd talk about how gas prices had been largely stagnant for a very long time, and how their slow rise has been well behind the curve of the rest of the market, and how this was just a normal adjustment. That's when people started to notice all kinds of things getting more expensive. Groceries were getting more expensive because of the cost to ship them. The price for a pint at your favorite bar was going up, because the price of the keg had gone up, because the price of shipping the keg was more expensive. Some people started talking about how it wasn't going to last, the bubble was going to burst.

Then it did. The greater economy started a downturn from other things. But the bear trending economy and the bull oil market created its own little bubble, and oil suddenly came crashing down with the rest of the economy. People bittersweetly noted that one pleasant side effect of the declining economy was that at least gas was getting cheaper again. They knew that they would return to their previous levels after the economy started improving again.

At present, gas prices have yet to reach the peaks they did before the economic downturn. They are on their way in that direction, but not there yet. Over four years, gas prices are essentially unchanged. If we accept the faulty notion that the President has much to do with gas prices, how is it that current prices being essentially the same as they were four years ago is some kind of fault to leverage against Obama?

Go.

Just to note.. Gas prices average $1.78 per gallon when Obama took office. ( Let the excuses begin )

:laugh:

Forum List

Back