Why you should love $5 gas

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Why you should love $5 gas- MSN Money

Stop grousing about the numbers at the pump. All of this could be good for you and good for America.

What if gas hit $5 a gallon? Here are some benefits:

Fewer people would die on the road. The less you drive, the more likely you will survive, if the events of 2008, the year of the most recent gas price surge, are correct. In 2007, 30,527 died in vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2008, that number dropped 12%, to 26,791.

Well that is a good reason.

Demand for high-mileage cars could grow. The key word here is "could." Hybrid sales rose quickly in 2007 as gas prices climbed, then dropped noticeably in the second half of 2008 as gas prices plummeted from over $4 to $1.60. This time around, despite gas prices climbing steadily over the past year, hybrid cars shrunk from 2.9% of new vehicle sales in 2009 to 2.4% in 2010, according to Ward's Auto. Meanwhile, sales of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and minivans rose from 48% of the market to 51% from 2009 to 2010. In addition, the average fuel economy rating of new vehicles sold in 2010 was 22.2 mpg, down from 22.3 mpg in 2009.

So we are bing pushed into it. At least you can admire the honesty.
Shorter security lines. Airlines fares are extremely fuel-price reactive. Soon, hardly anyone will be able to afford to fly willy-nilly around the country or globe. You will breeze through the maze of airport checkpoints.

yeeaah, Breezing through the shake down is what I worry about. but :eusa_shhh: About the loss of jobs this will create. and lets not mention the increase in the cost of imports. :eusa_shhh::eusa_shhh:

Less pollution. Less driving means cleaner air. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "pollution from vehicles causes two of our worst air pollution problems, smog and carbon monoxide." There are no solid figures on how many Americans die annually from car-produced pollution, but a 2008 study by Great Britain's University of Birmingham linked pneumonia deaths to pollution from motor vehicles.

That's a no brainer.

Less congestion. Ever notice how well rush-hour freeway traffic flows on the minor holidays when most of the rest of us are working? A 2% drop in miles driven can make a big difference, allowing you to drive faster, although you now won't want to. According to the Department of Energy, on average every 5 mph you drive over 60 is like paying an extra 24 cents per gallon (based on a $3.79 price).

That's b/c companies that hired drivers no longer can affored to pay them and they lost their jobs.

High prices lead to lower prices. Mackubin Thomas Owens, a professor of national-security affairs at the Naval War College and the editor of Orbis, the journal of the Foreign Policy Research Institute, theorizes that if gas prices rise enough, the government will open up areas now closed to oil production and oil companies will be able to invest in more-expensive methods of extracting oil. Soon we will be drowning in the stuff, and prices will drop again.

MSN meet Barrack Obama, Barrack Obama meet MSN. They will be lying to cover your ass the entire time you are Pres.

End of wars. According to National Defense Magazine, the cost of "in theater" gasoline to our troops in Afghanistan can range from $100 to $600. The Army estimated fuel can cost up to $400 a gallon if the only way to ship it is via helicopters. (Black Hawk helicopters get 0.74 mpg, while F15-E strike fighters get 0.41 mpg.) And that was last year's prices. Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya might get too expensive for America's taste.

*sigh* So I guess all those scientist that said it would lead to the opposite occuring were lying to us.

It's all about democracy. If we let up on the gas pedal, we'll starve those oil-rich despots out of existence. Oh, we import as much from Canada as from Saudi Arabia and Venezuela combined.

Ahhh, If only we could drill more here. but again :eusa_shhh:

You have to love what they are teaching the left.

If you can't afford to go to work, that's a good thing b/c you won't die in a wreck and other people can get to work faster and you are not polluting.

Never mind the increasing cost of everything that is ever delivered using gas. Which is everything.

The best thing about it is that in 2012 it should cost Dems the Presidency, yet another 75 seats in DC and half their remaining state houses and legislatures.

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," -- Steve Chu, Obama's Energy Secretary

Yep.. that's the left. The science and technology bunch cheering on the dismantling of the space program.

I just posted this article in another thread. This was on the homepage of MSN. Incredible.

I especially loved this quackery:

"It's all about democracy. If we let up on the gas pedal, we'll starve those oil-rich despots out of existence."

:cuckoo:

The only gripe I have about your commentary is the High Mileage Car thing... WTF?

What's wrong with wanting more efficient cars? Hell, the best hybrid(besides the Volt, which is waaay too expensive to buy) only get what? High 40's/low 50's?

I'd be willing to bet that normal internal combustion cars could get that and still deliver decent performance. 40 MPG should be the norm, not the exception.

The problem with some of you is that you want your cake and eat it too. The days of Muscle Cars are over, the days of 12 MPG Suburbans and Hummers are over. Conservatives love to talk about "personal Responsibility" but turn a blind eye to this area.

The only gripe I have about your commentary is the High Mileage Car thing... WTF?

What's wrong with wanting more efficient cars? Hell, the best hybrid(besides the Volt, which is waaay too expensive to buy) only get what? High 40's/low 50's?

I'd be willing to bet that normal internal combustion cars could get that and still deliver decent performance. 40 MPG should be the norm, not the exception.

The problem with some of you is that you want your cake and eat it too. The days of Muscle Cars are over, the days of 12 MPG Suburbans and Hummers are over. Conservatives love to talk about "personal Responsibility" but turn a blind eye to this area.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a more gas efficient car, just like there's nothing wrong with wanting a less gas efficient car.

The bad about gas prices being through the roof outnumbers the good by about 1687137253468317817587.

Hey! With oil companies making more profits...shouldnt we all be getting some kind of trickle down effect???

See, this is what I love about the left. They try to use our ideals against us when it's clear they have no grasp of what they mean.

Cons idea of; Personal Responsibility; If I can't afford a gas guzzler, I will trade it in for a more efficinet one.

Lib idea of; Personal Responsibility; If my neighbor can't afford to drive a gas guzzler I should also turn mine in, or be forced to do so by the government. Either through mandate or taxation.

Coertion [-1sp] is not a moral way to achieve what you want.

Remember this?

'Two oil men' to blame for high gas prices, Pelosi says - CNN

"House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Thursday blamed the "two oil men in the White House," President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, and their Republican allies in Congress for gas prices exceeding $4 a gallon.

Pelosi, a California Democrat, said multiple initiatives intended to lower high energy costs have passed the Democratically controlled House only to "run into a brick wall" in the Senate because they did not receive the 60 votes needed to overcome Republican filibusters.

"The price of oil is... is attributed to two oil men in the White House and their protectors in the United States Senate," Pelosi said in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer."

There's nothing wrong with wanting a more gas efficient car, just like there's nothing wrong with wanting a less gas efficient car.

The bad about gas prices being through the roof outnumbers the good by about 1687137253468317817587.

That's why only took issue with one part of the OP's commentary on the MSN piece.

There is something however, wrong with wanting a less efficient car. It's not responsible. Once again... Personal responsibility is a staple argument for the right. What's more irresponsible than tooling around in a Hummer and bitching about gas prices?

As a boat owner, I'll be happy if gas at the marina is only $5.00 a gallon this summer.

I just posted this article in another thread. This was on the homepage of MSN. Incredible.

I especially loved this quackery:

"It's all about democracy. If we let up on the gas pedal, we'll starve those oil-rich despots out of existence."

:cuckoo:
Absolutely. Look what happened last time gas got this high and we cut back. Prices dropped like a rock and some Arab country had to be bailed out.

That's why only took issue with one part of the OP's commentary on the MSN piece.

There is something however, wrong with wanting a less efficient car. It's not responsible. Once again... Personal responsibility is a staple argument for the right. What's more irresponsible than tooling around in a Hummer and bitching about gas prices?

What's personally irresponsible about driving an inefficient car in terms of gas mileage? If someone buys a car they can't afford to put gas in that has no affect on me.

You understand gas at $5 a gallon would even for cars with good gas mileage right? I drive a little Honda that I put $50 in every 4-5 days, my car being good on gas doesn't make $50 sometimes twice a week a low expenditure.

Forum List

Back