Why would we want to help Syria?

I saw a statistic in the news today that startled me -- the claim that there have so far been 60,000 people killed in the civil war in Syria. I was surprised because Assad's father killed 10,000, mostly Palestinians, some decades ago and that was often used as an argument point that no one liked Palestinians, or huge death toll by Mideast dictators, etc.

The 60,000 figure appeared in an article about Obama backing off from a claim that neither side better use Assad's chemical weapons "or else." Apparently our military is not enthusiastic about this threat and now the back-off is "no boots on the ground."

I don't see the point in "helping" Syria at all and hope we don't get into yet another quagmire there. Syria is an Iranian client state and has attacked Israel many times; Israel bombed out the nuke factory they were building with North Korean help a few years ago. Syrians are our enemies and the more they go to pieces, the better for our national interest, IMO.

In addition, how has it ever helped anyone for us to go in there and shoot the place up? Anyone who supposes it "helped" Iraq to be turned into a blown-up mess of shattered stone with mass-murder bombs going off each and every day is just propagandizing. No place we "helped," like Afghanistan or Libya, is better off ---- they are all much worse off, and tens of thousands more are dead than would have died if we had stayed out.

I hope we stay completely out of Syria. Any opinions on that?

I'm pretty much with you, we just need to stay out of it.

Exactly as I said on day one. The United States started out supporting the same kind of terrorists that took over Libya and Egypt. Our idiot presidebt didn't even think about Russian support for Assad. obama's king of the world, why would he consider some other country. We should never have helped anyone. Assad would have put down the rebellion long ago and it would have been over by now.

Thats probably true but alot of these rebels are getting help, aid and weapons from Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, the Gulf Arabs etc etc we are not the only player over there. The French and Brits are also in on this as well I think.

It is a NATO issue rather than solely a US issue. "The first of six Patriot missile batteries being deployed to Turkey to protect against attack from Syria was declared operational and placed under NATO command, the international organization said. The United States, Germany and the Netherlands are providing two batteries each of the latest version of the U.S.-made Patriots. The other five Patriot batteries are expected to be in place and operational in the coming days in Adana, Kahramanmaras and Gaziantep.

"This is a clear demonstration of the agility and flexibility of NATO forces and of our willingness to defend Allies who face threats in an unstable world," Admiral James Stavridis, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander for Europe, said in a statement."

NATO missile defense battery on Syrian border operational

As long as the Syrians leave Turkey alone they are free to kill at will.

It is a NATO issue rather than solely a US issue. "The first of six Patriot missile batteries being deployed to Turkey to protect against attack from Syria was declared operational and placed under NATO command, the international organization said. The United States, Germany and the Netherlands are providing two batteries each of the latest version of the U.S.-made Patriots. The other five Patriot batteries are expected to be in place and operational in the coming days in Adana, Kahramanmaras and Gaziantep.

"This is a clear demonstration of the agility and flexibility of NATO forces and of our willingness to defend Allies who face threats in an unstable world," Admiral James Stavridis, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander for Europe, said in a statement."

I agree, Russia is their ally then it is a Russian mess; if they leave Turkey alone. However, Syria has already shot down military aircraft from Turkey. From June 22, 2012, "Turkey announced Friday that Syrian forces had shot down a Turkish warplane with two crew members over the Mediterranean".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/w...orted-in-syria-apparently-a-rebel-ambush.html

I agree, Russia is their ally then it is a Russian mess; if they leave Turkey alone. However, Syria has already shot down military aircraft from Turkey. From June 22, 2012, "Turkey announced Friday that Syrian forces had shot down a Turkish warplane with two crew members over the Mediterranean".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/w...orted-in-syria-apparently-a-rebel-ambush.html

I'm sure Assad is going to be careful with that, theres kind of an unspoken agreement about Syria, Assad can kill as many Syrians as he likes as long he doesn't use WMD and doesn't drag this shit into other countries.

I'm sure Assad is going to be careful with that, theres kind of an unspoken agreement about Syria, Assad can kill as many Syrians as he likes as long he doesn't use WMD and doesn't drag this shit into other countries.

I hope so we do not need another shit storm to deal with.

We don't.

One would not think so... but Obama has a different mind set

President Barack Obama on Tuesday said the United States would boost humanitarian aid to Syria and urged other nations to do more to help the United Nations, which is struggling to assist some 4 million people in the war-torn country and more than 700,000 who have fled it.

Obama said he authorized an additional $155 million in aid for food, medical care and clothing for Syrians and refugees, bringing the U.S. total to $365 million.

Read more: Obama Boosts Humanitarian Aid to Syrians | Fox Business

Syria has already shot down military aircraft from Turkey. From June 22, 2012, "Turkey announced Friday that Syrian forces had shot down a Turkish warplane with two crew members over the Mediterranean".

Yes! I had forgotten that interesting incident. Okay, I think the issue is that all the refugees are in Turkey. And what do refugees always, always do? They band together and attack their homeland forces from the safe zone of the other country! So the Afghans attack from Pakistan, the Rwandans from the Congo, and the Kurds attack Turkey from Iraq and Iraq from Turkey. Turkey is appropriately afraid when that starts up with the Syrian refugees, Assad will start bombing rebel camps.

Obama said he authorized an additional $155 million in aid for food, medical care and clothing for Syrians and refugees, bringing the U.S. total to $365 million.

Sounds like a lot but I suppose it's pocket change for the USA --- and all that food and medical aid and so on comes in cartons stenciled "From the people of the United States of America" with a stars and stripes added on. When the food is emptied out, they can burn the box to keep warm.

None of this hurts our image....I remember reading a story in high school about this. These Syrian refugees WERE enemies but now they are desperate people eating our food, clearly labeled a present to them from US: can't hurt.

I'd rather we do that than quite a lot of bad things we've been doing.

Syria has already shot down military aircraft from Turkey. From June 22, 2012, "Turkey announced Friday that Syrian forces had shot down a Turkish warplane with two crew members over the Mediterranean".

Yes! I had forgotten that interesting incident. Okay, I think the issue is that all the refugees are in Turkey. And what do refugees always, always do? They band together and attack their homeland forces from the safe zone of the other country! So the Afghans attack from Pakistan, the Rwandans from the Congo, and the Kurds attack Turkey from Iraq and Iraq from Turkey. Turkey is appropriately afraid when that starts up with the Syrian refugees, Assad will start bombing rebel camps.

Refugees/rebel forces lol "The number of Syrian refugees in Turkey will reach 380,000 within the next six months, UN's refugee agency has predicted."
UN refugee agency expects more Syrians to flee to Turkey

If these shattered 'Arab Spring' countries suffer from even more violence and economic upheaval, who knows to what extremes they might go? The US cannot ignore such a threat to its position in the world. At the same time, there is little it can do that will be certain to be constructive. America is very suspect in the world generally and the Middle East in particular.

Last edited:
That kind of killing isn't good for anyone. Destabilization is not good for anyone.

It is good for corporate USA. A lot of countries have natural resources that the USA wants to control. None of this covert activity is about freedom,women's rights or just out of the goodness of our hearts.

Unfortunately our military people are being subjected to a ton of abuse in the name of USA facism.

So Israel just bombed what is believed to be missile carrying trucks, possibly while they were loading at a military base in Syria near Lebanon. Missiles for Hezbollah.

The Wall Street Journal lead editorial today warned of a spreading war in the Mideast, fomented by Iran, whom they think was pushing these missiles into Lebanon for Hezbollah to attack Israel.

I don't think so, though. Assad's back is against the wall, and maybe the only hope he has of saving himself is by distracting his population by a war with Israel. Nothing like getting everyone to look outward instead at each other -- it's an old trick.

Iran explicitly said, weeks ago, that an attack on Syria is the same as war against Iran. So far, of course, that's all talk: they have not attacked Israel, after all, after this bombing.

All the same, yeah --- there might be a problem with destabilization after all.

The middle east will never be stabilized until you let the dictators kill off all of their enemies. I say we place the boundaries and let them go at it inside those boundaries and whoever wins wins. Then we get them while they are weak and steel their oil and natural gas.

Bring the troops home NOW and stop abusing them!!!! Leave the oil,gold and other precious metals to their rightful owners.

Bring the troops and spend trillions on the USA instead!!!!

All of the countries the USA has been invading has ben homes to dictators. Those BS elections bring more dictators and further endangers our troops.

New Topics

Forum List

Back