Why would ANYONE want to risk a 1 million barrel oil spill?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
To Opponents of Keystone a simple question from an environmental point of view.

Which is worse 1,000 barrels spilled in two hours on land or 1,000,000 barrels on the open ocean as happened with the Exxon Valdez?

The Exxon Valdez oil spill occurred in Prince William Sound, Alaska, on March 24, 1989, when Exxon Valdez, an oil tanker bound for Long Beach, California struck Prince William Sound's Bligh Reef and spilled 260,000 to 750,000 barrels (41,000 to 119,000 m3) of crude oil. It is considered to be one of the most devastating human-caused environmental disasters. The Valdez spill was the largest ever in U.S. waters until the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, in terms of volume released. However, Prince William Sound's remote location, accessible only by helicopter, plane, and boat, made government and industry response efforts difficult and severely taxed existing plans for response.
The region is a habitat for salmon, sea otters, seals and seabirds. The oil, originally extracted at the Prudhoe Bay oil field, eventually covered 1,300 miles (2,100 km) of coastline, and 11,000 square miles (28,000 km2) of ocean.
Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So given that the Chinese have a vast need for oil and the only way to get is by tanker.
What rationale is there in arguing against a potential of at most 10,000 barrels spilled over 50 years on land versus
the reality that a million barrel tanker [like Exxon Valdez] each day traveling on dangerous ocean with wreck potentials at any time carries in one mile almost one million barrels while
the Keystone pipeline in one mile carries 500 barrels. The 1 million barrel tanker carries in one mile 2,000 times the amount of oil a pipeline carries in one mile.

Almost 26 times the amount of oil spilled by Valdez as compared to the 10,000 projected spills over 50 years in 1,700 miles of pipe carrying 500 barrels in one mile at one time.

Between 1999 and 2008 Enbridge [nation's largest pipeline management company] recorded 610 spills that released 132,000 barrels of hydrocarbons into farms, wetlands and waterways on the continent.
The Tyee – The Enbridge Dirty Dozen

Please some one from the anti-Keystone peanut gallery explain how
610 spills over 10 years with an average spill of 210 barrels is WORSE then one spill at one time in the ocean of 256,000 OR potentially 1 million barrels from a oil tanker accident?

Would you eco-friendly people explain that to me?

So NOT ONE of you ANTI-Keystone people are able to respond because the premise that the pipeline is FAR SAFER then a one million barrel tanker ANYDAY!!!

AGAIN 34 views and NO one has the GUTS to explain WHY in the world ANY ONE would be in favor of shipping on the open ocean 1 million barrels when the same amount is shipped safely under ground with less then 500 barrels in each mile of pipeline??
Please tell me why you anti-Keystone can't realize this simple fact???

I'm not taking either side, but the Exxon Valdez was an exceptional spill.

Tanker spills have dramatically decreased over the years.

Here, see for yourself: http://www.itopf.com/information-services/publications/documents/STATSPACK2011.pdf

In the 1990s there were 361 spills over 7 tonnes, resulting in 1,137,000 tonnes of oil lost; 73% of this amount was spilt in just 10 incidents.

In the 2000s there were 181 spills over 7 tonnes, resulting in 210,000 tonnes of oil lost; 44% of this amount was spilt in just 2 incidents.

Most oil spills are the result of pipeline spills:

80% of volume spilled came from pipelines (43%) and other facilities

Overall, oil spillage down down in US inland waterways under EPA response jurisdiction

Still average of 8 million gallons spilling annually in EPA waters. Areas of greatest greatest concern are oil production and storage facilities and pipelines (structural failure)

http://www.epa.gov/osweroe1/docs/oil/fss/fss04/etkin_04.pdf

Last edited:
The premise of the OP is incorrect. Pipeline spills occur in much greater volumes than tanker spills.

The premise of the OP is incorrect. Pipeline spills occur in much greater volumes than tanker spills.

Did you read the original comment???
I mean do you REALLY expect people to BELIEVE your guesses??? Where are your FACTS?

Between 1999 and 2008 Enbridge [nation's largest pipeline management company] recorded 610 spills that released 132,000 barrels of hydrocarbons into farms, wetlands and waterways on the continent.

U.S. offshore pipelines, 1969 to 2007: 506 spills, 182,355 barrels

Oil tankers in U.S. waters: 3,774 spills, 1962 through 2007; 1,596,638 barrels
PolitiFact Georgia | Candidate: Oil spills from tankers more common than "very rare leaks" from rigs or pipelines

775% MORE OIL spilled by tankers. 7 times what is spilled by pipelines.

Are they going to build a pipeline to China now? No. The object is to bring the crude oil here for refining so we can then put the refined product on tankers and export that possibly to China. And what makes you think Canada can't do both. Ship via tanker to China and pipe their sludge to our refineries.

How many oil tankers deliever oil to the US each day? That being asked I think the latest Keystone extention will be approved.

Damn, I thought China was drilling off Fla anyway.......

I mean do you REALLY expect people to BELIEVE your guesses??? Where are your FACTS?

I provided you with the facts. Links and quotes and everything. See posts 4 and 5. Are you blind?

A single pipeline, that's an anecdote. So is the Exxon Valdez.

Key word: offshore.

Keystone is not an offshore pipeline, now is it, dumbass. Ever hear the expression "apples and oranges"?

US pipelines account for 80 percent of oil spills. I documented this for you above. 8 million gallons of oil are spilled annually.

Last edited:
My main compalint with the XL pipeline is that a foreign owned private company is getting private land condemned for their pipeline.

I thought the right wing esp those with Libertarina slant were very strong on private property rights?

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to risk returning to living in the Dark Ages by destroying our energy supply?

The point was to not have the Keystone go over the biggest aquifer in the USA. That's why the Nebraska Pub governor stopped it. Change the channel, dumbazz Pub dupe.

I provided you with the facts. Links and quotes and everything. See posts 4 and 5. Are you blind?

A single pipeline, that's an anecdote. So is the Exxon Valdez.

Key word: offshore.

Keystone is not an offshore pipeline, now is it, dumbass. Ever hear the expression "apples and oranges"?

US pipelines account for 80 percent of oil spills. I documented this for you above. 8 million gallons of oil are spilled annually.

WOW 8 MILLION GALLONS DUMB fuck that is ONLY 190,000 barrels!
ONE TANKER HOLDS 1 million barrels!!!

Plus where did you document that?
PLUS Embridge has Enbridge is Canada’s largest transporter of crude oil, with approximately 24,738 kilometres (15,372 miles) of crude pipeline, delivering on average more than 2.2 million barrels per day of crude oil and liquids.
Our Pipelines - Enbridge Inc.

In 10 years they've had 610 spills total 132,000 barrels of the get this BIG ASS NUMBER!!
2,200,000 barrels a day!
803,550,000 barrels A YEAR!

AND they have spilled an average in 1 year 0.0016% of the 803 million barrels a year!

Come on please deal with reality!
AGAIN which is MORE dangerous to destroy MORE environment???
1 million barrels in a tanker traveling one mile on the ocean or
500 barrels traveling one mile ON LAND???

WHAT in world is wrong with you people? Where in the f...k is you common SENSE?
Do big numbers like "500" scare you???

The point was to not have the Keystone go over the biggest aquifer in the USA. That's why the Nebraska Pub governor stopped it. Change the channel, dumbazz Pub dupe.

The true threat is posed by agriculture as it’s currently practiced on the Great Plains by the farmers themselves, many of whom opposed the pipeline vehemently. The aquifer is being wasted and polluted. Wasted, that is, on corn, a thirsty crop that requires over 20 inches of irrigation water in parts of the Plains. And polluted with pesticides and nitrogen fertilizers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/opinion/polluting-the-ogallala-aquifer.html?_r=0

dumb ass... FACTS NOT HYsteria, hyperbole, wild speculations!!!

TELL Me... HOW can 0.00003387% OIL totally destroy 1.056 QUADRILLION GALLONS of water???

The Ogallala Aquifer holds about 1.056 quadrillion gallons of water, enough to fill Lake Huron (one of the five Great Lakes).

The pipeline holds 500 barrels or 21,000 gallons per mile!

NOW dummy... are you like this idiot so afraid that over 50 years.. 6.5 million gallons or AGAIN Over 50 years!!! 130,000 barrels of TAR supposedly contaminating 1.056 QUADRILLION GALLONS!!!

Explain to me how 0.0000000123% of the oil will contaminate 1.056 QUADRILLION GALLONS of water???

Furthermore explain how IF BY some absolutely REMOTE CHANCE ALL 850,000 barrels of OIL spilled completely into the Ogallala!

SO WOE we have 35.7 million gallons of OIL nasty OIL.......FLOWING INTO 1.056 Quadrillion gallons ALL at the SAME TIME!!!

TELL Me... HOW can 0.00003387% OIL totally destroy 1.056 QUADRILLION GALLONS of water???

She cited University of Nebraska civil engineering professor John Stansbury, who drew on pipelines’ history and TransCanada regulatory filings to predict that during the projected 50-year life span of the pipeline, “there would be 91 leaks . . . that could potentially put 6.5 million gallons of tar sands oil in the Ogallala aquifer and essentially contaminate our drinking water.”
Keystone XL pipeline may threaten aquifer that irrigates much of the central U.S. - Washington Post

Since 1930, 24,000,000,000 barrels of crude oil have been produced within the Ogallala Aquifer. In Nebraska, 500,000,000 barrels of crude oil have been produced from 2,000 oil wells drilled through the Ogallala Aquifer.
It is also consistent with experience from other historical oil releases affecting groundwater, which demonstrate that movement of dissolved hydrocarbon constituents typically is confined to less than 300 feet.
The Ogallala Aquifer | Nebraska | Keystone XL Pipeline

HYSTERIA! Wild speculations with out looking at the numbers!!!
FACTS folks are what logical, THINKING HUMANS use to make decisions! NOT HYPERBOLE...

Really?? TELL Me... HOW can 0.00003387% OIL totally destroy 1.056 QUADRILLION GALLONS of water???

Last edited:
AGaIN I ask WHY are idiots concerned over the possibility that in 50 years 130,000 barrels of OIL
will spill WHEN every day 1 million barrels will be shipped by TANKERs like the Exxon Valdez???

Please show a little reality! A little common sense! A little understanding of NUMBERS!!!

It's not about sense and sensibility.
It's about politics.

I'm just as outraged as you, but it's hydrocarbons- the boogyman cometh.

The outrage is idiocy of people especially those that OBVIOUSLY depend on the biased MSM for their information!

Why are these IDIOTS so anxious to ship 1 million barrels of OIL a day by tankers that can crash!

When a oil pipeline carries ONLY 500 barrels in one mile!

Why is the concept that people aren't grasping here so difficult?

Which would you prefer 1 million barrels on ONE ship that when it travels one mile on the ocean can spill 1 million barrels OR

A pipeline buried, generally accessible within hours and monitored so like turning off a faucet the flow stops!
And in one mile if there is a spill.. at most 1,000 barrels... NOT 1,000,000 maybe spilled and also mostly recovered! Easily versus on the ocean!

I am so amazed at the majority of these people's lack of common sense!

What is worse 1 million barrels or 1,000 barrels??? GEEZ!!!!

Forum List

Back