Why Would Anyone WANT to be President?

Gagafritz

Lady Germanotta Snicks
Dec 4, 2011
Why would anyone want to seek that office? To put yourself under a constant microscope and scrutiny? To put your family in the spotlight 24/7? To not be able to have a down moment to relax or whatever? I guess i am someone who would not like fame at all. I would rather just live in a tent on the beach or something. I really don't get the people who strive to do this.

In Obama's case - I am sure it's a ego thing. All about "me" "me" "me" !!!

It's obvious he doesn't give a shit about us.

In the United States the people do not hate the higher classes of society, but are not favorably inclined towards them and carefully exclude them from the exercise of authority. They do not fear distinguished talents, but are rarely fond of them. In general, everyone who rises without their aid seldom obtains their favor.

While the natural instincts of democracy induce the people to reject distinguished citizens as their rulers, an instinct not less strong induces able men to retire from the political arena, in which it is so difficult to retain their independence, or to advance without becoming servile. This opinion has been candidly expressed by Chancellor Kent, who says, in speaking with high praise of that part of the Constitution which empowers the executive to nominate the judges: "It is indeed probable that the men who are best fitted to discharge the duties of this high office would have too much reserve in their manners, and too much austerity in their principles, for them to be returned by the majority at an election where universal suffrage is adopted."

Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 13

Think of Mitt and Newt while reading this passage from 180 years ago:

In New England, where education and liberty are the daughters of morality and religion, where society has acquired age and stability enough to enable it to form principles and hold fixed habits, the common people are accustomed to respect intellectual and moral superiority and to submit to it without complaint, although they set at naught all those privileges which wealth and birth have introduced among mankind. In New England, consequently, the democracy makes a more judicious choice than it does elsewhere.

But as we descend towards the South, to those states in which the constitution of society is more recent and less strong, where instruction is less general and the principles of morality, religion, and liberty are less happily combined, we perceive that talents and virtues become more rare among those who are in authority.

Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 13

:lol::lol::lol:

Why would anyone want to seek that office? To put yourself under a constant microscope and scrutiny? To put your family in the spotlight 24/7? To not be able to have a down moment to relax or whatever? I guess i am someone who would not like fame at all. I would rather just live in a tent on the beach or something. I really don't get the people who strive to do this.

Yeah, but you get to play basketball with Secret Service agents who will let you win.

I have a buddy who had a foriegn student live with him and they were college roommates.

The foreign student's father is a chinese billionaire. He (the father) is constantly surrounded by dozens of security, the gov't forces him to make certain capitalistic ventures so that chinese properties don't end up in foreign hands, and it's all arranged marriages.

I told my buddy I'd rather be a "broke" american than be that super uber rich with all that spotlight. The chinese son to the billionaire is always fleeing the country, because in a couple years at age 26 the gov't forces all the businesses into his name and he can essentially never leave the country again and will soon be forced to marry his wife that he's never met.

That was a bit of a side tangent lol, but i imagine the rich chinese guy's life is similar to that of the president's life. I dunno how that can be enjoyable.

In Obama's case - I am sure it's a ego thing. All about "me" "me" "me" !!!

It's obvious he doesn't give a shit about us.

imagesCA78TV4C.jpg

We brought this on ourselves. Every candidate is now expected to piss on 68 different litmus papers. And if the acid test does not turn bright blue (or pink for Democrats :tongue:) for each and every one of those matters, that candidate is rejected as not being "conservative" (or "progressive") enough.

Therefore, it follows that the man or woman with the least amount of experience will have the advantage. All he or she has to do is make lovely promises and say the right words the People want to hear. I promise not to (bleep) in your mouth!

The man with experience is at a gross disadvantage because he has a record. He is not safe from his past. His piss will turn the litmus paper neon yellow in some cases. And any claims he makes to have seen the light and changed his ways results in a "flip-flopper" label.

The experienced man is doomed. We want imbeciles who talk pretty at the controls of the most important ship of state in world history.

That's how we get a George Bush or a Barack Obama as our leader.

Last edited:

Some need power and control; others do it out of a sense of patriotism or frustration with current presidents and hope to make a big difference, for their vision of their country. I just think it sad, that it requires so much money to run and win, that it discourages others who would otherwise make good presidential leaders.

Its all in the ego.

IMO most Presidents have huge egos.

Some don't have the talent, but they all have the ego which tells em they can do the job.

Ain't necessaritly the case as can be seen by the current occupant of the WH.

Its all in the ego.

Some don't have the talent, but they all have the ego which tells em they can do the job.

You pretty much described Jr. and his term.

The way we americans worship these pieces of shit, it's no wonder they think they can do no wrong.

Its all in the ego.

Anyone who thinks they can run this country must have an ego the size of Texas. Fortunately, we seem to have no shortage of ego in the US.... now, if we could just find someone with a character to match their ego, we'd be good for a few years.

Two reasons. Either:

Love of country
Love of power

Unfortunately its usually the later.

Its all in the ego.

Anyone who thinks they can run this country must have an ego the size of Texas. Fortunately, we seem to have no shortage of ego in the US.... now, if we could just find someone with a character to match their ego, we'd be good for a few years.

Sorry CG. I cant run for a few years:)

Vacations, T-time, Air force one at your disposal, Camp David, people fawning all over you for drooling, entries to everything, people and places for the rest of your life, golden parachute at the end.....

and trust me.... if they want a tent on the beach..... its served up.

Forum List

Back