Why would a God even need a hell?

Mickiel

Silver Member
May 19, 2016
I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.

I've read that some believe this is Hell, and how we behave here determines whether we enter Heaven, or an eternal void.

I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.
Just figure if there is good there is also evil. The reason you don't understand is because you're human.

Because he loved enough to give the gift of freewill. He didn't want robots following a scripted life. Unfortunately we don't always make great decisions, so sin is a possibility. With sin being harmful to our lives a serious loss of eternal life with Him became a consequence. God does not need Hell, we need the possibility of it.

I rejected the God that burns people in hellfire when I was sixteen (which was a long time ago). I was a little afraid of incurring the wrath of God when I rejected the biblical teachings, but as soon as I decided to do this I felt a sense of well being an a sort of spiritual feeling of goodness. In later years I discovered a belief system I could accept in spiritualism. Which teaches there is no lasting hell and no devil.
I first discovered spiritualist teachings in a book called, 'the teachings of silver birch'

Sorry this post is all about me, but its the only way I can tell you what I believe.

Silver Birch's Teachings

Last edited:
Because he loved enough to give the gift of freewill. He didn't want robots following a scripted life. .
Do you not see the irony in that?
How is free will 2 choices?
1. do what he says
2. spend eternity damned in a pit of fire

Because he loved enough to give the gift of freewill. He didn't want robots following a scripted life. .
1. do what he says

You have a choice, didn't say you were going to like either one.
btw, it is just a way too look at the subject. Feel free to like it or not.

Freewill. ;)

upload_2016-5-19_16-50-57.png

1. do what he says

You have a choice, didn't say you were going to like either one.
then whats the point of free will? In fact, how is it even free will, if you were to get punished for using it?

then whats the point of free will? In fact, how is it even free will, if you were to get punished for using it?

But you can ask for forgiveness, that is the message of Christ. A loving God offers forgiveness for those that seek it and repent. Again, just a viewpoint, do with it what you want.

I don't need the possibility of hell, because I don't believe a God would hurt humans for an eternity; I mean the punishment would not fit the crime. In example, ( because I think we need to see an example, because some believers in God don't SEE what eternity would be like ; they don't realize what they are believing with this eternal hell torture stuff) , if I " Sin" for seventy years straight and never believe in God, then what is fair about sentencing me to an eternal punishment? I mean even giving me 500 years of punishing, for just 70 years of sin would be unfair.

But this uncanny Christian belief would allow 9 million years of punishing for 70 years of sin, but it would go beyond the 9 million years, on into 1,000 trillion years, on into infinity; that is what eternity would be like. To punish a human for that long, I think would be insane. It can't be sane to do something like that, yet what is more frightening, is that people BELIEVE that this will be done by God. So our belief systems can ingest insanity and think its good or normal. I think this perverts the reputation of God, who by definition, is a Good being.

But you can ask for forgiveness, that is the message of Christ. A loving God offers forgiveness for those that seek it and repent. Again, just a viewpoint, do with it what you want.
I hear that a lot. People can do whatever they want as long as they go around yelling "I love jesus". Not trying to offend you man. It just sounds ridiculous to me.

I don't need the possibility of hell, because I don't believe a God would hurt humans for an eternity; I mean the punishment would not fit the crime. In example, ( because I think we need to see an example, because some believers in God don't SEE what eternity would be like ; they don't realize what they are believing with this eternal hell torture stuff) , if I " Sin" for seventy years straight and never believe in God, then what is fair about sentencing me to an eternal punishment? I mean even giving me 500 years of punishing, for just 70 years of sin would be unfair.

But this uncanny Christian belief would allow 9 million years of punishing for 70 years of sin, but it would go beyond the 9 million years, on into 1,000 trillion years, on into infinity; that is what eternity would be like. To punish a human for that long, I think would be insane. It can't be sane to do something like that, yet what is more frightening, is that people BELIEVE that this will be done by God. So our belief systems can ingest insanity and think its good or normal. I think this perverts the reputation of God, who by definition, is a Good being.
indeed. To be loving, he sure is a murderous, tyrannical asshole.

Forum List

Back